Roon Extension Manager 1.x (currently at v1.1.2)

Synolgy DS920+ Docker installed extension manager without problem but got lots of same error in log as:

CONTINUE 1 Changed {"message":"Extension Repository loaded (v1.0.15)","is_error":false}

is this normal?

This is normal behavior. The status message gets repeated to very the connection to the Roon core.

I’m stuck. I have installed the latest dietpi on a virtual machine. I have the extension manager installed and shows it is running. What next? I open the roon app and look at extensions and I see nothing. I double checked that there is no firewall at play. I can ssh to the dietpi instance from any computer in the house. How do I get my rock to see the extension manager?

I have noticed this behaviour too when I updated DietPi with all available updates/upgrades. I reverted to an old backup (vm backup of DietPi) and everything is working again.

@Anthony_Lester and @Dennis_Mutsaers:

Can you check if the docker container effectively running roon-extension-manager is up?
Do you see it after running sudo docker ps?

If that’s not the case can you check the service status via sudo systemctl status roon-extension-manager?

You might find that the service has been stopped due tu to many restarts.
If this is the case, can you check for any reference to apparmor in the service logs?

I’ve encoutered the same issue recently during an update of docker-ce packages (and I’m also running dietpi in a x86_64 VM). It seems that roon-extension-manager, which basically is a docker container that manages other docker containers (the actual extensions) needs, in recent versions of docker-ce, the package apparmor to be installed.

At least for me, manually installing this package via sudo apt install apparmor fixed everything. But please take time to validate that this is also the root cause of your issue buy checking the logs before installing this additional dependency.

1 Like

that was totally it. thanks for the help. I am up and running

1 Like

Same problem (and fix here). Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @Anthony_Lester, @Dennis_Mutsaers, @nihil,

Thanks for the issue report and sharing a workaround.
I can reproduce the issue in a x86_64 VM. It is apparently a Docker issue.
At DietPi they are also aware, you can read about it here.

Hi @Jan_Koudijs

I have just started using your extension manager and in particular entrypoints.
I have been using rooExtend with rooPlay before but your approach seems to offer more potential particularly when it comes to multiple entrypoints.
After some failures of understanding I got an audio entrypoints operating with a Berhinger UMC202HD with input from a cassette deck but have in mind connecting this to my turntable.
I also got the Librespot entrypoints working with Spotify with no problems. I tried using an Apple SuperDrive with the CD entrypoints but couldn’t get the SuperDrive to accept a CD. I have read elsewhere that that’s an Apple limitation to its use with non Apple hardware but I have seen a workaround for this when using with Debian which I guess might work with DietPi?
Anyway my question is about multiple entry points. I have tried searching the many threads about Entrypoints but I am unclear on how the multi entrypoints work. I know I can set more than one on the single raspberry pi I am using currently but I think you can only use one at a time. I assume if I add more Raspberry Pis with DietPi I can add more entry points which can be used simultaneously? If so do I just set the new Raspberry Pi up with DietPi and enable extension manager on the new one as well? Just feels like that could be a mistake. Or does Extension manager recognise another RaspberryPi/DietPi and allow you to somehow choose to run another Entrypoint from that new pi ?
Essentially I think I am asking how your multiple turntables example actually needs set up.

In any event this is a great idea and just what I have been looking for and your time and effort is really admirable.

Each Entrypoint you install has its own radio stream, these parallel streams can then be played in different Roon zones.

You will need multiple PIs is you want to use a specific Entrypoint multiple times. So if you want one Audio Entrypoint for your cassette deck and one for your turntable then you need 2 PIs.

Yes, you install Extension Manager on both Pis, but make sure that they have different host names, that’s how they get differentiated.

Hi Jan, thanks for all your work. I am new user and have moved to Roon and shutting down all my Sonos servers. But they did have a nice alarm which you have kindly built an extension for Rune. As instructed added LINUX and Docker to my Win 11 desktop where my Roon Core resides. And as instructed I downloaded the Roon Extension Manager container and I can see it in Docker.

Please forgive this really dumb question, but what do I do now so that I can see the Extension Manager in Roon and download your Alarm Extension? When I go to Settings/Extension in Roon there is nothing there. Again, sorry for the dumb question. Frankly, I was happy to get it this far!

Thanks

Thanks @Jan_Koudijs appreciated. That makes things much clearer.

I have another Pi on order so I will be able to play with this then.

Many thanks

1 Like

Hi @Russell_Keziere,

Welcome to Roon and the Roon Community!

The problem with running Roon extensions in Docker and not seeing them appear in Settings/Extensions typically turns down to the use of a different vlan/subnet by the Docker installation. An extension can only discover the Roon Core if it is on the same subnet. As far as I know this cannot be achieved with Docker for Windows.

What does work on Windows is setting up DietPi in a Virtual Machine, instructions on how to do this can be found here.

Thanks Jan! Very kind of you. Followed your instructions. You may have documented this elsewhere but for Windows users who are having trouble finding the IP address of their Pi machine which PuTTY will want.

the “ping raspberrypi.local” from Windows Power Shell won’t work.

In Oracle Virualization Manager which should have the DietPi_VirtualBox-x86-64-Bullseye running, go to network settings/network/advanced on DietPi and capture the MAC address which will look like this “080027AB19FE”

The run “arp -a” from Windows Powershell as Administrator to get a listing of all IP addresses associated with each MAC address. You may have many dozens, easier to output to a text file. i,e,

“arp -a > D:\Users\russe\Downloads\OUTPUT.TXT”
(your file path, but keep the name OUTPUT.TXT, do not try “findmypi.txt” like I did.)

Use Excel to import OUTPUT.TXT with fixed width delimiters or bring up in a text editor with search, and search for the MAC address. You will see the IP address to the left. Then you can add to PuTTY.

Having got that far, however, while I can see the Roon Extension Manager, when I click on it I get sent to website on machine do download a zipped log file with nothing in it. No listing of available Roon extensions. I am sure I am doing something wrong. But I am persistent. Thoughts?

Have you clicked the settings tab?

.sjb

2 Likes

Yep,

I only changed category.

It sounds like you clicked the hyperlink “Roon Extension Manager @DietPi” this will indeed open a webserver and download a file.

You should instead click the “Settings” button to the right.

You can the select a category of extension.
After doing so, select an extension.
And finally an action for the extension (eg install, start, stop, uninstall…)

Edit: so in you latest screenshot, pick an extension below the category. After doing so, you’ll see an additional field for the action

2 Likes

Well thank you Sven, Jan John! In retrospect, its intuitive. Alarm is now set and everyone is happy. Should have read Roon Extension: Alarm Clock v0.9.1 (current) much more closely, all spelled out there. Thanks again!

3 Likes

Hi @Jan_Koudijs

I got a second pi up and running and things are much clearer.
One issue I have is that I installed extension manager BEFORE changing the host name - so bothExtension Managers show as being @DietPi

I tried uninstalling extension manager on each pi but the name doesn’t update in Roon.
Also tried rebooting the Roon Core (ROCK) and each pi but the @DietPi name persists.

Is there a way of updating the name of the extension manager in Roon?

Many thanks

Hi @Jan_Koudijs
I decided as I have only recently set up both Pis I would just rebuild them changing the host names before installing Extensions Manager and also, out of an abundance of caution, removing the authorisations relating to Extension Manager. All is now well and I have two extensionmmanagers and one gateway.
As I mentioned it looks like Roon doesn’t update the host name which it does occur to me could be useful but not sure where this arises - suspect it isn’t the plugin but the way Roon registers it?

Many thanks