Roon Extension : RHEOS 2-way control & 192Hz/24bit Playback and Grouping on Denon/Marantz HEOS devices now in Extension Manager

I don´t think so. How can I check it?

Thanks Florian - not sure why this should be.

What player resolution have you selected in RHEOS->players-> settings ? Hi-res or pass-thru will be at a higher resolution than can be done with Airplay if the original source is a high res file.

It may be interesting to look at what the volume level is in the HEOS app vs what you see on the amplifier display when using aIrplay and RHEOS.

Interesting. I’ll see if this is the same with my set up - hadn’t experienced this and I need to see why. Then again I don’t use pass thru much.

Sorry - I think I’m being a little slow here.

Are you wanting to turn off flac decompression and use pass thru mode?

This should then depend on the DACs own compatibility - what resolution pure PCM are you sending to the Marantz?

Pass thru is not as reliable as I would like - that’s why I use flac conversion.

Peter

Ideally yes I know it’s possible in other implementations of LMS2UPnP. Not an issue if not I was just wondering why it doesn’t work without it.

It seems HEOS is very picky about what it plays …

I really don’t do anything unusual in pass thru other than “pass it through”

Maybe someone smarter than me has an idea!

2 Likes

Get a mic and use REW?

1 Like

Sometimes with HEOS I think you may be correct! It’s only because of the Marantz sound and brand loyalty (nearly 50 years for me …) that I try to make this all work!

1 Like

It’s fine don’t stress over it.

I was able to check it. AirPlay is about 6db louder in HEOS than LMS. Thats the answer.
I do not know why they do that but now it´s clear to me…

1 Like

I am pretty sure the issue is due to more than one docker image running at a time and trying to connect to roon with a duplicate extension token.

How are you using the extension - from docker direct? If so what is the run command line instruction (do you use restart unless stopped) you use and what happens when you look at the docker containers that are running.

Also I think you are using a Synology NAS if I remember , there are some reports of the memory being eaten up over time:
Memory usage on Synology NAS you have runing when this occurs.

Thanks for your response @peter_richardson. I really appreciate the effort you’re putting into this extension.

I’m using Container Manager on Synology NAS DSM 7.2. My RHEOS extension uses the following compose file.

version: "3.3"
services:
    rheos:
       image: rheos/roon-extension-rheos:latest
       container_name: rheos
       restart: unless-stopped
       hostname: rheos
       networks:
           macvlan_network:
               ipv4_address: 192.168.50.18
       environment:
           - TZ=Europe/Brussels
networks:
    macvlan_network:
        name: mv_audio

I checked both Container Manager as well as through an ssh terminal to my NAS using sudo docker container ls --all
Only 1 container running the RHEOS extension was shown. Also, my NAS did not report any containers quitting unexpectedly. Note that I am running both Roon and other Roon extensions in docker. Each with their own static ip that has been excluded from the DHCP range of my router.
Could other extensions interfere? I actually have all the extensions combined in a single project compose file.

Thanks for that. I’ve had RHEOS disabled for a few days nows. I’m occasionally seeing high memory usage, but nothing nearly as high what I had before. Memory usage seems to go up with increased activity (tagging and metadata adjustments) but then gradually drops again.

I imagine it’s as much an issue of running Roon in a non supported environment which a container is. I am sure I have seen others reporting memory issues when running Roon in a VM also Linux distro users as well more recently.

Thought you might find this conversation relevant to your observations on memory usage.

Peter

rhttps://community.roonlabs.com/t/a-memory-leak-in-roonappliance/236489

And another that may be relevant

New Stereo 70s looks superb for the money.

I like the new models - so wish they were ROON ready rather than tested. Is the 70 on the list?

It’s only just released but it will work due to Airplay.

I’m suddenly having serious problems with some HEOS speakers not showing on the available list on Roon. Airplay is complete and working fine, but the Roon list is problematic and frequently missing speakers. The complete list shows in the RHEOS setup and they are activated. I’m also now seeing the correct list of receivers in RHEOS with the option to set the audio mode. Rebooting the Roon server doesn’t seem to help. Roon updated recently and HEOS did. Very irritaing but using airplay as a workarounnd for now. HEOS app still sees all speakers and plays music fine using Tidal.

Anyone else seeing this?

[not sure this is helpful, but thought I would respond]

I had some issues too. Mine typically manifests as I cannot control the volume/mute via Roon app. This tells me one of several things:

• I forgot to disable an old version of RHEOS when I updated the container [solution: disable the older image in roon app and restart rheos container for good measure]
  • RHEOS and HEOS are out of sync with what IS and IS NOT Grouped [solution: ungroup everything in HEOS app and ROON app]

Which brings us to today’s issue: I was able to just restart the RHEOS container and all went well [after I let HEOS update all speakers and avr’s - (mix of newer and older speakers, 1 newer denon, 1 older marantz, one soundbar)

For me, it was HEOS going thru each device - I just made sure all were done updating, then re-restarted RHEOS container and all went well.

PS - since all the discussion on this thread, I have been using PASS THROUGH for all the devices… works very well.

1 Like