Roon Extension : RHEOS 2-way control & 192Hz/24bit Playback and Grouping on Denon/Marantz HEOS devices now in Extension Manager

Select delete group and save.

You must be picking up an old configuration file and this has a fixed group.

What command line are you using or are you using Patrick’s xml docker config file?

1 Like

I think I you may have got me across the finish line!
My wife is ready to for dinner. I will report back later.
Thanks to everyone for your help!

1 Like

I will be flying home tonight so let me know how you get on.

@peter_richardson

By the way, I got the exact same Kitchen+3 showing up on the new version. I don’t have a speaker named “kitchen”… I tried a reinstall, cleared cache, etc, and nothing killed it. I didn’t ever see a DELETE option but it also didn’t hurt anything.

Here is what happened to me… I installed the 0.9.3-13 version yesterday afternoon and I saw the Kichen+3 under audio as my only speaker. I cleared the roon cache and may have rebooted, and the kitchen+3 stayed but the rest of my speakers appeared. Everything is working but this phantom speaker group hung around until about an hour ago.

That’s helpful.

I must have something in the docker image,

I will look when I am back.

Otherwise working?

It seems ROON caches some of the devices. I create a virtual squeezeplayer for each fixed group and store the info in the config file. The info on this remains even if deleted - so it is easy to restore and you don’t need to reenable the fixed group. Keep a watch on this and I will see if I can make it can be destroyed on a clean install.

1 Like

Crap… may have spoken too soon. My Ubuntu server is now at 99.3% memory utilization and rising. 94% is roon server. Anyone else see this?

Is it indexing your library? This can really increase usage…

No indexing. I have 4700 tracks and it indexed this in about 5 minutes after the initial install. I just want to cry… It used all ram now and the swap file is growing like crazy.

If you stop RHEOS what happens?

Rebooted fine. Watching…

You may find this of help :notes:

Thanks for tip! I’ll try it out. I’ve been using another CLI tool called Glances to get realtime utilization stats, so I can see RoomAppliance is the process that is swallowing ram.

So I think I have the same configuration as you. Roon installed on Ubuntu server with Rheos in a docker container. If true, have you ever seen this?

No - but I don’t watch for it either. Many reports on forum in general of this occurring. May not be an issue unless it crashes or impact performance …

e.g. Roon server on Linux consuming huge amount memory even when not in use

After reading the forum posts, it looks like two issues may be contributing. The first is IP6. I don’t use IP6 on my network so I turned it off on Ubuntu. The second issue called swappiness and I implemented this change too. see below. We’ll see how it goes…

Hopefully. I don’t think this is a RHEOS issue.

Are your AVRs behaving? Do the x=zones come on and off for each.

I am thinking its getting time to put 0.9.3-13 out as “latest” - I’ll be around over the weekend and able to address issues promptly, but it seems we have rooted out the issues cased by two way control.

I am also thinking of adding a setting to allow 2-way control to be on or off as not everyone uses the HEOS app or a remote control with their devices. Input appreciated on whether having these types of options is of use or adds to confusion.

Agreed…not a RHEOS issue, but top of mind for me. On the new version, everything seems to be working for me. Some testing on zones shows it is working as expected. More as time permits…

1 Like

So I do not know the details of why a user would want 2-way control to be off…but

I do know, at all times, I would like all devices to know the volume state or at minimum, only do a relative up/down.

the wifey and I have ‘discussions’ over Spotify use on ‘the’ AVR - [the audio quality sucking b*lls being the first vs her loving the UI], but it has no idea the volume of the AVR’s - ever… I am forever coaching the fam-damily to do volume down first, then up on their Spotify app when connected to the AVRs because a direct up in volume could cause Spotify to bump the AVR vol to 100 (luckily it tripped the surge device)…

1 Like

Still no luck getting ROON to play nice with HEOS. I will continue to try.

Describe your problem and we can usually help.

Stephen,
You are running on QNAP right?

• rheos is not crashing?

• you have stopped rheos, stopped roon, then restarted roon, wait, wait a bit more, then rheos
    ** i find this helps roon cache every once in a while - but is of limited use

• in the extension authorizations, you only see rheos 1 time?
    ** it doesnt hurt to remove rheos, then re-add it in the extension area btw

• in the top of rheos settings you do not have anything in the default-heos or roon ip addr field?

• in the upnp settings at the bottom, rheos found the IP address to your roon server?

• you see the players in the list (from your prev screen shot it looks so)

• you Deleted the fixed groups listed there?
    ** delete and save, to close rheos settings then go back to settings

• you turned OFF avr zones

• you turned OFF fixed groups

now on to roon

• in audio, do you see the 3 devices you have?

• go to roon Setup and turn off squeezebox

• go back to audio - do you see any ghost devices?

• go back to Setup and turn on squeezebox (or click the button that says enable sbox in audio)

• see if you can now see the audio devices…

lets pause here…