Roon hijacking iOS volume [Ticket In]

This is not the only way Roon hijacks iOS :-(. Say you are playing music through YouTube Music or other app. When you open Roon it pauses YouTube. This is very likely a violation of iOS standards.

Kids and wife in bed, I dare not find out. Usually music can end up full volume (although hasnā€™t for a good while now).

1 Like

That may dependent on the current audio device selected in Roon i.e. the IOS device. Iā€™m certainly no authority on IOS standards but if what you state is correct there numerous apps committing the same violations, eg. Naim, Qobuz, Tidal, Amazon Prime to name just a few that override playback ā€¦.

Hey @Menzies, have you felt brave enough to disable the automation and see if your volume will remain under control? While it would be nice to know if iOS 16.2 Beta might actually contain a fix for this issue, I completely understand your hesitation. If it ever starts functioning correctly for me again, Iā€™ll probably be reluctant to install any new Roon or iOS update ever again. :wink:

Cheers!

I dare not. Iā€™ve been watching my phones and iPads erratic behaviour with the automation in place. I have been using my Samsung Android phone for now.

1 Like

Smart man. Plus Iā€™d never want to be in the crosshairs if you disabled it and then couldnā€™t get it to work properly again (or blew a speaker ā€¦ yikes). Iā€™d never be able to forgive myself!

Thanks so much for taking the time to troubleshoot things with me. I really appreciate it.

1 Like

Roonā€™s hijacking of the iOS volume leve has been an issue for me since I began using Roon in 2020. My specific case seems to be when using a Bluesound mini powered speaker as the Roon endpoint. The ā€œvolume controlā€ setting is ā€œdevice volumeā€.

When controlling that endpoint from the iOS Roon Remote app, my iPhone volume gets set to 100%.

Iā€™ll try the automation work-around suggested and provide feedback.

1 Like

The automation works for me.

Thanks so much for support providing this solution!

2 Likes

Happened again yesterday morning, while baby in bed.

FYI, enabling lock screen controls(beta) under app settings appears to stop the iPhone volume from maxing out. At least for me.

Thanks Robā€¦ the workaround is working as advertised here so far too.

@benjamin hi there. A new build was released yesterday and still no fix for this long-standing issue. A ticket has been in for quite a while now, is there a fix on the horizon?

Regards Mike

Just wanted to say that this didnā€™t work for me. I started getting some weird volume changes occurring randomly. I have an all Sonos setup so that very likely has something to do with it as I also have issues trying to use Spotify:Connect with my setup outside of Roon.

The other things that Iā€™ve reported previously when trying to use the Shortcuts automation are still not working correctly either.

Edit: for clarity sake, I should add that the Spotify:Connect - Sonos - lockscreen/volume button control issues are not new. Itā€™s a known issue that goes back years and only affects some users, like yours truly :cry:

Hey @Rob_Magnotti, I ended up disabling the Shortcuts automation, and enabling lock screen controls, and so far that seems to have fixed the problem. Trying to use both did not work however. [@Menzies]

Roon Core Machine

MacBook Pro mid-2014, 2.8GHz Dual Core Intel Core i5, 8GB

Networking Gear & Setup Details

EE smart router, connection to Core using powerline adapters, wifi to remote

Connected Audio Devices

Chord Dave DAC, USB connection to Core.

Number of Tracks in Library

6,285 tracks

Description of Issue

Whenever I use Roon Remote on my iPhone 14 Pro, latest operating system, when I come out of Roon, the volume control in all apps is at maximum. This also happens on my iPhone SE second generation. And was happening on my previous iPhone 12 mini. It started when Roon 2.0 was introduced.

Hi @Andrew_Benson

Welcome to Roon.

Roon support are aware of this. Itā€™s been a wee issue for a while.

You can follow these instructions as a workaround.

Credit goes to @benjamin I think. Canā€™t find the original thread.

2 Likes

This is great until the problem is fully fixed. Thanks a lot

1 Like

Well, this temporary solution is far from ideal. My volume is now constantly being set to a fixed value after I opened Roon, not at all what I want.
This is a longstanding issue, which in my opinion should have been fixed a long time ago. I reported this issue back in august, but before my thread, there were others describing the same issue. I must say Iā€™m a bit disappointed it takes this long to fix, itā€™s not that Roon is freeware, far from it. Hereā€™s to hoping this gets resolved soon.

1 Like

Hey @Mike_de_Munck,

Thanks for following up, and I understand the frustration around the time itā€™s taken to move the needle on this issue.

I can say with confidence that our team is aware of this issue, and have added it to their docket of big issues to correct. I will check in with our developers this week to see about getting more updates to share :+1:

3 Likes

This happens too on my harman kardon citation 500 when using airplay to play audio. I am testing roon and really love it.

I got this speaker in a multiroom setup using airplay as the protocol, but this is unbearable. It really hurts my ears and my speaker.

I couldnt find anything about my specific setup.