Roon hijacking iOS volume [Ticket In]

I’ll still spam you with my music recommendations privately :rofl:

2 Likes

And long may that continue.
Playing one now :+1:

1 Like

Just noticed that even though I have only reinstalled the remote on the iphone and this prompted the volume issue to return, it’s also affecting the volume on the ipad and I’ve not touched this remote as was working fine.

What gives?

Hello. This works. But I think it should just not be happening. Thanks.

Got a Roon IOs app udpate this morning and I was full of hope, but the issue remains…

Hi Roon team - when is this going to be fixed? I am new lifetime subscriber to Roon, but I see this issue is outstanding from Aug-22.

I am largly affected by this, all my iOS remotes are suddenly blasting their volume at 100% after Roon has been opened.

I am not interested in the workaround posted, but simply asking when will this be fixed.

6 Likes

The issue is actually quite a bit older than that. It baffles me that they are able to fix all sorts of big and small issues and introduce ARC, Muse, etc, but are seemingly ignoring these kind of issues on iOS (like the choppy scrolling on pro-motion iPhones and bad performance on iPhones in general).

3 Likes

New subscriber here and found that I consistently have this issue and traced it back to the Roon app on my iPhone 14 Pro.

Would it be more effective if we each enter our own tickets to get this fixed? Or does Roon support monitor these community forums?

I’m not sure if this thread is monitored these days. The bug has been around for a couple of years and it doesn’t appear to have been resolved or commented on by support in a long time.

:roll_eyes:

2 Likes

For iPad/Nucleus+ configuration: Various reboots not effective, however, one reader suggested deselecting device volume in favor of fixed. Save, then reselect device volume & save. Slept on it. When I played a track this morning, all was good. Of the many things I tried, I believe that device/fixed volume trick seemed to be the charm. Haven’t experienced this hijacked volume issue for over a year maybe longer.

But, that disables volume control, doesn’t it? If that’s the case, it’s not really a solution for me unfortunately.

The device volume is not disabled as @Mac_Finney stated…

“…deselecting device volume in favour of fixed. Save, then reselect device volume & save…”

FWIW

I have been listening (A lot) only via the Roon Remote app , via Bluetooth for the last 8 weeks and have never experienced this

System, ROCK - iPad Pro 12.9 the BT to either Sony WH 1000XM4 or ony WF 1000XM4 . No attempt to stop it it happening applied

Is it iPhone specific , my phone is Samsung so …

Oh I’m glad to know someone else is having this issue! I thought it was something wrong with my phone.
I open the local Roon app to stream to my Node X (volume is set to 60), I pick and play a track, everything is fine. But when I go to check Instagram videos or play a Voice Note, I find that my iPhone’s volume has been set to 100% and it scares the hell out of me with all the loudness.

Then I manually have to lower the volume, but of course this doesn’t affect the Node X volume since it’s an outside endpoint hardware.

I would understand if this happened with ARC since it acts as a local player with remote access, but this hijack bug happens with the ROON app which serves only just as a controller (or could be as a player if I select iPhone endpoint, but that’s not common tbh).

Not sure if just me but since I enabled the lock screen controls in Roon, this has stopped happening to me.

Can someone enable these, restart phone and give it shot.

Have enabled and will report back in a few days. In the meantime it does appear that there is a known bug in IOS which also causes unpredictable changes in volume on other apps, details can be seen at:-

1 Like

Tried iphone & ipad, no change :roll_eyes:

EDIT: Just discovered the last update must have defaulted my Lock Screen Controls to OFF.
I’ll try again…

1 Like

Thanks for trying.

May very well be a coincidence in my case and there was something else which triggered the change and made things work fine.

I genuinely don’t even remember when it happened but it just did happen at some point and I’ve not had any issues since.

1 Like

I give up, another beta update defaulted Lock Screen Controls to Disabled…again….:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Still no fix in the latest release. What a mess…