Roon is editing posts, so I guess bye bye Roon forum

I’m not sure what else to do but I won’t be a shill who writes marketing copy for Roon even though I use Roon every day and have recommended it to many people.

That is not to imply that I haven’t, and wouldn’t otherwise in the future, say very many good things about Roon. But my thoughts are my thoughts and it’s not OK for Roon to edit them unless I am breaking forum rules.

What happened? I posted a support request nearly 2 months ago about Roon slowing down more and more until it’s unusable and has to be restarted to work again. How, if it works once restarted, it could be my network, I don’t know, but that’s not the point of this post.

I posted my ON-TOPIC experiences as a Roon user in this thread:

Then Roon support edited out my reference to the issues I’ve been having, explaining that they want to chase down my specific problem before I’m allowed to indicate it is a Roon issue. OK, I waited a month for the first reply from support simply asking a general question, then another month for another general question, and then Roon’s suggestion was effectively that I disassemble my gear configuration to its simplest possible in order to start troubleshooting - not in and of itself unreasonable but quite a bit of work on my end, and between Roon support’s moving at quite a slow speed and my time to do this, I am supposed to not be able to post about my experiences until Roon decides from on high what the issue is?

Plus, notwithstanding the cause, it was an accurate description of my experience with Roon which is on-topic for that thread.

Roon literally changed the meaning of that post. It was a balanced post talking positively about Roon but balanced with not always positive experiences with the stability and reliability of the software.

So I replaced that post with an explanation that it had been edited to change meanings by Roon and now the post is entirely gone.

Fine if Roon wants to run its forum as a marketing only site with posts edited to give readers a tilted impression of its software. But I’m not spending my limited time to be thoughtful about posting only to have my own thoughts edited by a commercial entity for its commercial benefit.

This is not to say that anyone should be free to post anything. There are forum rules and I understand the rules against personal insults, keep on topic (at least for some threads). and that sort of thing. But it simply is not just OK to change the meaning of a post to suit Roon’s PR desires. Get the software working right and you won’t have these posts.

I’m sad because I’ve enjoyed posting here. But I’m not a shill. If Roon sees fit to edit others’ posts to change the meaning, I don’t want to be a part of it. So this is my last post ever, I am sad to say, except I reserve the right to post in support if and when needed, albeit the last thing I’ll say is that using the forum as the sole means of technical support seems questionable. Having your support personnel editing user posts isn’t questionable, it’s flat wrong.

18 Likes

It’s their forum. They can pretty much do whatever they want. I used to get upset when my posts were deleted due to content. This post probably will too. [Moderated]

1 Like

If it is “their” forum, then it is not a forum at all.

Roonlabs’ support relies a lot on mutual assistance between users, which saves them time and money. Against this backdrop, more respect for contributors and less censorship would be welcome.

11 Likes

While my posts have not been not edited to my knowledge, a few weeks ago another member had his thread title changed.

The discussion started out per the original title, but as members logged on in the following days, not aware of the original title, the discussion supported the amended title. Which was quite different from the original intent of the thread.

If you haven’t been moderated, you’re not engaging with the forum robustly enough :joy: :joy: :joy:

15 Likes

I am right with you, @James_I !

I agree with what say 100 percent!

2 Likes

My wrist still hurts from their last ruler smack.

3 Likes

Whether you/me/we like it or not, the practice of repeating the details of an issue across different threads is what the forum guidelines call “axe grinding”. The new forum guidelines are fairly tight (for understandable reasons) and most of us fall foul of them at times.

Its easier than hunting and fixing bugs.

4 Likes

Maybe if they fixed the issues, we would not keep repeating ourselves :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’m not trying to defend Roon, I’m merely stating that the OP was probably moderated because they did fall foul of the guidelines.

You can totally change the meaning of someone’s post by censoring….I mean editing.

1 Like

Sorry mate. I did not think you were defending Roon. Nothing personal :beers:

2 Likes

It’s a cold cruel world out there…

2 Likes

FREEDOM OF SPEECH is dead. :us: :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I suspect that some people need to find a long lost sense of perspective!

Talk about hyperbole!

Unbelievable!

3 Likes

Amen.

“The answer to your question is in the KB”.

I saw a while back that a number of users had been physically banned !! One guy in the Audirvana forum is even boasting about it …

1 Like

Sorry to see you go @James_I, we’ve had a big disagreement in the past but that doesn’t mean I don’t respect and enjoy reading what you post on here.

1 Like

@James_I — I had very similar sentiments, and have been actively trying to reduce my time spent on these forums. I did think about making a post similar to yours but hesitated, so I’m glad you did it — thanks!

1 Like