Roon jumping randomly when streaming music from Tidal [See Staff Post]

@Rockhound ,

Thank you for your suggestions. My core PC is Ethernet wired. Roon has been playing fine for the last few months without any issues. No recent changes in my network/audio system. Cannot replace my cable-modem since owned by the Cable company (Vidéotron). I will look into your other suggestions.

If you look at the Support forum, we are many Roon/Tidal users with same issues for the last 3 days.

1 Like

I’m having the same issues. Never had a problem before.
Roon/Tidal
Core is updated with latest

I have not experienced any issues here in Canada - occasionally there are problems in the connection to Tidal’s servers, and often this can be regionally based.

I am also having the same issues and they started at the same time. So the theory that all our networks suddenly went wrong at the same time is disingenuous. I’ve been using Roon and Tidal for years without this problem and now Tidal is almost unusable, skipping a few seconds several times a track. My network is gigabit fiber and is not the problem.

Have been with Roon for some 5 years using Tidal integration. I have the latest core version on my Windows PC ethernet cabled network … ONLY had it happen LAST NIGHT. I have done nothing to change anything internally. Please help !

Please look at the solution in this thread, it worked for me:
Seems a DNS problem.

1 Like

Ok … weird … in playing I Knew You Were Trouble (Taylor’s Version) it keeps skipping at the 10 second point each time this track is played … seemingly NOT at a random point !!!

The skipping problem will happen in various form. It can skip always at same spot or go back or forward or skip the track completely. Try changing your DNS server. It has solved my problem as well as other Roon subscribers.

Thanks for your advice … how does one change the DNS server ?

Here you go:

What consequences will there be (if any) to my Windows PC by making such a change? Do I have to notify my Internet Service Provider ?

There are many articles on this subject on the web. From what I have read, there are no downsides and you do not need to notice your ISP provider.

Thanks for your help … I have read some articles and have watched the YouTube video you provided, so I think I can change the DNS server if I need to … for the moment I am going to sit and wait for Roon Support to respond.

It is frustrating when something that has always worked now exhibits problems …

Most ISPs neglect their DNS servers, so they can prove problematic over time and Roon seems particularly sensitive to this. There is no downside to changing your network to point to a properly managed DNS like Cloudflare (or Google) - it is a simple matter to change the address in your router, so all devices in your network will use it.

I have changed my DNS server to 1.1.1.1 (Cloudflare) … now begins the testing. Fingers crossed !!! Note: changed this in my modem/router.

Oh no … I Knew You Were Trouble … still skipping now. Big SAD !!! Disaster of a track … skipping all over the place.

Hmmm … this track just played without ANY skipping. Need more time to evaluate the impact of changing DNS server.

Ok … after 3 hours of solid listening, the issue persists. I thought things were going well for a while (with no skips or jumps) but then it seemingly reared its head again and as I write this it is going haywire. So for me the change to a new DNS server (Cloudflare 1.1.1.1) has not solved the problem.

Roon Support team … there has to be a reason for this, please help. I use Tidal integration for 100% of my Roon listening so a solution to this is vital.

So I had the skipping problem. Changed DNS server. No difference. Can’t see why DNS server would make a difference. It either gets the right IP address or it doesn’t. That is before track starts playing. During playback DNS does nothing.

Anyway I did manage to fix it - I changed streaming quality from Master to Hifi (I don’t like MQA anyway).
During this process I found that Tidal had signed me up to “master” service, something I never wanted. So I have downgraded to “Hifi” which gets the original 44k 16 bit, and what’s more it costs only half as much.

Roon Core Machine

HP SPectre x360 convertible
Processor Intel(R) Core™ i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30GHz 2.40 GHz
Installed RAM 8,00 GB
LITEON&Prod_L8H-256V2G-HP 250gb SSD
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch Pen and touch support with 10 touch points

Edition Windows 10 Home
Version 20H2
Installed on ‎2021-‎02-‎22
OS build 19042.1466
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Google nest, latest version with a hub 5 feet away from the roon core.

Connected Audio Devices

Musical Fidelity M6sR DAC connected via USB

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

When playing tracks from Tidal, skips randomly ahead by anywhere from 1 to 5 seconds: just like a needle skiping on a vinyl record!. I’ve tested this using the Tidal app to stream directly and everything works fine. This happens only when using Roon. It will continue on the same song, just skips randomly. There seems to be no pattern.

Tried re-booting, re-starting to no avail. Problem persists. I have changed nothing to my system and this has stated about 10 days ago.

The same happens on my other computer running Roon, but I believe, resolving the core should solve the issue.

Thanks for the help!

I’ve been listening to Tidal through Roon for about 4 hours after the DNS fix with no skipping. Fingers crossed.