Roon Core Machine

QNAP TVS-h674

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Various

Connected Audio Devices

Various - mostly RoPieeee

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Roon is leaking memory on my QNAP again. I think I’ve seen reports of this before - indeed I think I’ve experienced this before - but not for a while.

On startup Roon grabs about 3GB memory. 7 days later this has grown to 12GB and performance gets very sluggish. I restart the process and it drops to 3GB again - cycle repeats.

Hello @Jamie_Tudor and I apologize for the slow response.

We would expect that Roon would use this amount of memory. I am currently running a test database on this Mac Mini and Roon is taking just over 1 GB with a 300-track (test tracks) library. I looked up your QNAP and found that it can have nice specs with 32 GB of RAM and a Core i5 but it can also have lower Core i3 setups. Can you clarify what the specs are? Is it dedicated to Roon or also performing other functions? Is the core wired?

Sorry for all the questions but we want to be sure of your setup. There shouldn’t be any sluggishness, especially with a library of that size.

Thanks,
Wes

Hi Wes. I have the i5-12400 version of this NAS with 64GB so it’s fairly well specced. It’s not dedicated to Roon but it’s not regularly doing anything else that’s particularly heavy.

My concern was that Roon would trundle along using ~3GB for a number of days, then very quickly jump to around ~12GB and start responding very slowly. A restart would drop it down to ~3GB and then the process would start again. That’s the characteristics of a memory leak.

Cheers
Jamie

2 Likes

Meh… Sounds familiar! Roon Server unresponsive - Daily crashes - Support - Roon Labs Community

They just gave up replying to me! :frowning:

You said on your other thread you worked around it. How? I’ve moved from QNAP to a Docker install. Same problem. Not tried a VM yet. What are you using now?

I started with Ubuntu running in a VM. This is where the issue began. I was told that VMs are unsupported. I then installed Ubuntu on a laptop with the same issue!
I then installed Mock/Rock on a VM (which is hassle) and now all is well!
So the actual issue was never fixed. :sleepy:

Rock on a VM was my next thing to try.

Was it this kind of hassle for you?

i.e. needing a USB keyboard etc? I’m a tech by trade so I’ll be able to get this done, but any advance tips would be useful.

I’m not holding out much help for support either. I (and many others) have had a consistent client crashing issue for nearly 18 months, and support are now studiously ignoring all of us about that one, and have been for half a year.

Yes the USB keyboard thing.
I am using ESXi and vSphere…just to make my life more fun!! :slight_smile: So had to do it via VMware workstation.
It looks a bit more straight forward on Synology and QNAP (I assume it’s the similar procedure)
(Also a techie! As you may have guessed :wink: )

I feel like gaslighting is going on, as far the memory leak support issue!

Hi @Jamie_Tudor ,

It’s possible that these two issues are related, so let’s see if troubleshooting the below issue resolves the memory issues from the current thread.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.