Roon Live Radio (VRT Radio 1 or VRT Studio Brussel) drops out every time

Core Machine

Intel NUC10i3FNH2 - Crucial 8Gb RAM - Kingston 120Gb SSD
Roon 1.8 build 795

Network Details

Linksys EA9500, wired to Rpi3+HAT, wireless to Sonos Boost and wireless to Bluesound Flex2i

Audio Devices

Kitchen: Bluesound Flex 2i (wireless)
Living Room: wired RPi3 + Hifiberry Digi+Pro + Pro-ject Pre-Box S2 dac - running RopieeeXL v1.7
Bathroom: Sonos Play:1 (wireless with wired Sonos Boost)
Terrace: Sonos Play:1 (wireless)

Library Size

907 Albums
2 regular Live Radio stations

Description of Issue

When listening to Live Radio (VRT Radio 1 or VRT Studio Brussel) through a grouped zone (Bluesound Flex 2i and RPi3 with HAT) the stream always stops after a certain period (time independent).
I already changed the possible bitrates (AAC 128kpbs → MP3 128kbps → MP3 64kbps), but even at 64kpbs the streaming stops after a while.

Streaming the same live radio stations through the BluOS app to the Flex 2i, it never stops and keeps playing.

I don’t experience problems during streaming Tidal / Qobuz through Roon in the same group.

Thanks for some help,

Hello @Joris_Cornelissen , welcome. Sorry to hear of your troubles.

I’ve just played VRT Radio 1 for 15 minutes without problems. How long can you play without stopping and do you get the same problem with non VRT stations?

What if you are not grouped?

4 posts were split to a new topic: Problem when playing VRT radio streams

A post was merged into an existing topic: Problem when playing VRT radio streams

Hey Joris

I am experiencing similar problems with Radio 1. Did you find a solution?

Jan

Hello @Joris_Cornelissen / @Cooper_Nalou ,

Are you still having this issue at the present time?

No. Everything went back to normal

Hi,
Still issues. It has improved a while ago. But since a couple of weeks, not exactly know when, roon won’t start plaing my radio stations at all. When I choose e.g. VRT studio Brussel it won’t start up. I checked the URL streams they are correct.
Streaming them directly through my BluOS there’s no problem.
See screenshots below.

9 posts were merged into an existing topic: Since December 1st 2023 “Live Radio” VRT Radiostations cannot been played anymore

Did you try playing them ungrouped as @BrianW suggested?

I ask because NPO 3FM Alternative is working for me - but I’m not using it grouped with Bluesound, because I don’t have that hardware…

Hi all,
NPO3 still isn’t working through Roon.
Thanks to Marc_Loore, the VRT Radio 1 is working using the original URL, but not through icecast site. So half there.

Yeah tried it ungrouped. Streamed to my Flex2i and Auralic Aries mini seperately.

Hi @Joris_Cornelissen ,

Hope you’ve been well. I was doing a review of my past cases and I noticed yours was still open, are you still seeing this issue at the present time? I’ve tried NPO on my end, but it seems to be working without issue. If you are still seeing this, have you tried to reload/update your ffmpeg codec yet?

hello @noris ,
no unfortunately not. There’s another thread about the same issue () and the solution is to change the DNS in the router.
I haven’t done that (yet), but is this the right way?

I can’t see in the settings of my ISP modem (Telenet) which DNS is set up.
After my ISP modem I use a Linksys EA9500 Wifi router, with DNS1 1.0.0.1 and DNS2 1.1.1.1 to get optimum ping results for my general network.
Should I change it to another DNS like 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4 ?

Hi Joris,
What I did, to get the icecast-addresses working, was changing the DNS-Settings on my Roon Server (not within the router!).
I’ve a Ubuntu Linux Server (w/o GUI!) and set the Nameservers (DNS) to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 via the CLI (Command Line Interface) instead of the IP-Address of my router (if you’re using DHCP, probably the DNS addresses are delivered when obtaining the IP-Address for your RoonServer). I guess, if you’re using a Linux system with GUI (or Windows or MacOS), setting of the DNS Servers is much easier…
I don’t know which OS you’re RoonServer is running on, but for each OS you should find on Google, Bing, … tips how to change your DNS-Settings.
I’m not a network guru and so I do not know why the Router-Ip Address is not working (even when changing the DNS Servers to the Google-DNS within the router). I suppose that a DNS Cache flush on the router is necessary, but until now I do not know how this can be performed (reboot & shutdown didn’t helped)! I just try to help!

hi Marc,
thanks for your tips!
I use a Intel NUC with Roon ROCK running (with current OS version).
Furthermore I have the NUC listed as a DHCP device on my Linksys router, so Roon Server should get the DNS from my router, right?

Yes, that’s right.
I’m not familiar with ROCK, but I’ve found this configuration display on the Internet:

I suppose that DHCP is active on your system and I guess that the other fields are greyed-out. There you can check the IP-Address of the DNS that you received from DHCP (which is probably the IP of your router).
The easiest way imho is to write down all networking data, change to static ip and use 8.8.8.8 as DNS Server (all other Addresses should be identical) and reboot the machine. But do this at your own risk and only if you’re familiar with some basic networking knowledge!. And be sure that you have a backup of your mediafiles…

Hi, a quick update: still no luck

I changed my roon rock to a static ip (outside the dhcp range) and set up the dns to 8.8.8.8 (different then my router’s dns: 1.0.0.1 and 1.1.1.1). Haven’t figured out yet to get a 2nd dns through CLI.

Hi @Joris_Cornelissen ,

Are you able to temporarily host the Roon Server on another PC and check if the issue is the same when trying to stream these radio stations from there (but through Roon)?

• Create a Backup of your current database
  • Open Roon on the other PC you wish to try running as your Roon Server
  • Roon Settings → General
  • Disconnect
  • On the “Choose your Roon Server” screen, press “Use this PC”
  • If asked to Unauthorize, you can go ahead and do so. You are limited to one active Roon Server at a time but you are free to switch between them as often as you’d like
  • Verify if the same behavior occurs on the different PC