Roon lost Control of The Audio device

Hi,

I am running roon rock on a Intel NUC7i5, connected to a Fritzbox7490. My music is stored on a Synology Ds214. My Oppo203 is connected to the network via Powerlan. Sometimes, but not allways, the music stops and I get the above mentioned message. After hitting play again, roon connects, and after this second connection, it does not lose the connection again.

So I think, the handshake between rock and the Oppo in the first attempt does not work propperly. Software and firmware are up to date.

Do you have and suggestions?

Kind regards,
Kay

Hmm, I tested few weeks ago BDP-205 also in Roon scenario (Dac function via thunderbolt hub @ iMac / CORE) and it works flawless. Ofc everything works via LAN in my sys (Synology NAS / lib & iMac / core to tplink mod) and like I said all works rock-solid.

Tell us smth more about settings (rock & Oppo)…

Well, what can I tell you? NUC, NAS and Oppo have constant IP-adresses, I have no DSP-engine running, NUC and NAS are directly connected to the router, which then is connected to the Power-Lan. The Oppo itself is directly connected to a Power-Lan connector. It all runs well, just sometimes I have to reconnect after a first connection.

Kind regards,
Kay

Mayby NAS is guilty :wink: ? When I play smth from Tidal when I launch Roon software always everything works perfectly, but when I choose file from my Synology very rerely I have similar situation (error about missing local content). After indexation everything works without any problems. You have this disconnetion radomly or only after launch?

Try play music from different sources (not NAS).

Hi Antoni,

I have the problems only after the start, or maybe after quite some time, wenn everything is still on, but we haden‘t played some music.It really feels like roon and the Oppo say hello together, but one of them gets distracted by something else. After saying hello again, they keep stucking together.

@support

Do you maybe have and further ideas how I can handle the problem?

Here are two screenshots that might help.

Kind regards,
Kay

Hi @Kay_Levermann ---- Thank you for the report and sharing your feedback with us, very appreciated!

Moving forward, during your troubleshooting have you tried taking the UDP-203 off the Powerlan? The reason I ask is because we have seen some similar issues (example #1 exmaple #2) with these devices in the past.

-Eric

Hi Eric,

it seems that without powerlan the Oppo finds the wireless lan with 100% strengh, but looses the connection randomly. With powerlan it sticks to the connection after a sometimes second connection.

Kind regards,
Kay

Hi @Eric,

I forgot to mention, that on the same powerlan, we can watch amazon prime in UHD without any dropouts or lags. We haven’t done this parallel, but Amazon works flawless, just like roon after this strange sometimes occuring loss of connection.

We sadly do not have the chance to connect the Oppo directly to the router via lan-cable.

Kind regards,
Kay

Hi @Kay_Levermann ---- Thank you for touching base with me, the update is appreciated.

Moving forward, while we understand that the you are able to connect to other services like Amazon, keep in mind that Roon is going to depend on stable communication between the devices inside your network, as opposed to a single device on your network communicating with a server on the internet. Using Amazon tells us your connection to the internet is working, but it doesn’t tell us very much about communication within your network.

Our goal should be to try and isolate as many variables as possible in order to have a better sense as to where the issue is occurring (core, endpoint, network, etc). Being as the Oppo (to my knowledge) does not have USB in, mounting the DAC directly to your Roon core will not be a viable test option here. In light of this, if possible, I would recommend the following:

• Testing with the unit hardwired to the router as mentioned previously.

• If you have another DAC available to you, you can test with that unit mounted to the core and see if you run into the same issue (i.e "Roon lost control of the audio device).

-Eric

Hi @Eric,

I have tested the Oppo hardwired directly on the router. Within an hour or so, there was no connection loss. The same happend after I put the Oppo back on the powerlan. I had no loss of connection. Today I started the Oppo again using the powerlan, and after some seconds, roon lost the connection again, after pushing play a second time, up till now, everything is fine.

Kind regards,
Kay

Hi @Eric,

I hope you had a nice holliday. I some more things with the Oppo in hope to avoid the connection loss at the beginning of a listening session. I put the Oppo in wifi mode. Still, the beginning loss occured again.

With an Otter netplayer (Hifiakademie Netplayer, a microbrand from Germany), I had no problems with the connection.

Do you have any further ideas, how to solve the Problem?

Kind regards,
Kay

Hi @support,

I just wanted to ask if you have any further ideas how I can solve the problem, as it occurs on a daily basis no matter if I use wifi or lan connection.

Software and firmware on everything is up to date.
Kind regards,
Kay

Hi @Kay_Levermann ----- My sincerest apologies for the slow response here. I appreciate your patience and update(s). Thank you!

Moving forward, before I enable diagnostics on your account can you verify for me if you have tried removing (temporarily of course) the NAS from the equation to see if the result is the same with the Oppo203? To be more specific, I am curious if you have tested with some content stored on a drive mounted to the NUC via USB? Say a thumb drive, for example.

Furthermore, when you notice this behavior are there any application running on your devices that may be trying to communicate with the 203?

-Eric

Hi @Eric,

I have tried an usb-storage on the NUC. With this, we had not the typical
first loss of connection after a few seconds.

The curious thing about the loss is, that afte the reconnect, everything runs rocksolid for hours.

As far as I know, no other applications are running that may be trying to communicate with the 203.

Kind regards,
Kay

Hi @Kay_Levermann ----- Thank you for the follow up and taking taking the time to give the proposed test a go for me. Very appreciated!

Just to make sure I am understanding your update correctly as it is a bit unclear to me (due forgive the confusion on my part :innocent:), with a USB storage device directly mounted to the NUC there was no loss of connection, correct?

-Eric

Hi @Eric,

I am sorry, I wrote it really confusing.

You are correct, with a USB storage device directly mounted to the NUC, there was no loss of connection.

Kind regards,
Kay

Hi @Kay_Levermann ----- Thank you for the follow up and clarifying that information for me! My apologies for the delayed response here.

Moving forward, I would like to enable diagnostics on your account so our techs can try to get a sense as to what could be causing the issue here. However, may I very kindly ask you to first reproduce the problem and note the time of day when you receive the mentioned error message in the application (i.e "Roon lost control of the audio device).

Once I have a sense of when the error occurs I will then enable the mentioned diagnostics. Many thanks!

-Eric

Hi @Eric,

today we had another loss of connection. It was arround 11:45 am CET.

Kind regards,
Kay

Hi @Eric,

again at 13:54 today (17. DEC.) roon lost connection to the transport.

Kind regards,
Kay