Roon no longer starts after 10 days of non-use [Solved - Port issue due to WiFi + Transfer program]

Yes, anyway I am the Administrator…

Here, at the end of March, we summarized which problems currently still exist with Windows 11. Also concerns some audio components and drivers. With Deepl, it should also be understandable in languages other than German and provide suggestions for solutions.

1 Like

Stephane just being an Administrator doesn’t always mean that the software runs as administrator.
It is difficult to try to do a remote diagnosis but it is looking more like Windows has a problem

What are the options available to you and how much do you use this machine besides for music.

One option is to roll back and another is to reset the PC. For the second option you need to be careful where you have data or it will be wiped

2 Likes

Thank you, Michael.

I think I have an idea…

I first install Windows 10 Pro on this brand new PC I mount entirely and I installed the MAD driver under Windows 10 Pro and then upgrade to Windows 11.

So, now it is likely that I can no longer install the driver as Merging says “MAD is supported on Windows 10 - 64 bit only”.

1 Like

Ah quite possibly so, but if you install Windows 10 and upgrade the driver will continue to work as before.

Why upgrade to Win 11? I’d probably stay with Win 10 for now…

1 Like

Yes !
And then I could upgrade my Windows 10 to Windows 11 :wink: (just kidding :sunglasses:)

2 Likes

You had me worried for a second :rofl:

2 Likes

The ergonomics of Windows 11 is quite pleasant.
From this point of view it is a good version.

1 Like

I think that at this point the re-installation from scratch is a good option… And it is probably the fastest way to recover a working system.

4 Likes

@Andreas_Philipp1 @killdozer @Michael_Harris @Rockhound @TheRiz @xxx @Mike_O_Neill @Uwe_Albrecht @ged_hickman1

Hello everyone,

I wanted to thank you for your help.

I confirm that now you are an integral part of my support team Roon. :wink:

More seriously, this little misadventure made me discover that the responsiveness (despite the interventions of Geoff and Rugby, whom I also thank) and the quality of response from Roon’s official support did not meet my expectations.

As for the technical subject and to resume the chronicle:

• On Windows 11, 15 days ago Roon (with its latest upgrade) and my installation was working perfectly fine.

• When I returned from my trip, at the start of this week, I noticed that Roon was not starting.

• The analysis of the log files (thanks again Andreas) revealed a network access malfunction by Roon while my network was otherwise working well.
    I therefore invite the official support of Roon to look at this problem and to take it into account.

• Uninstalling my network cards (thanks @TheRiz :wink:) revealed that my Merging driver (Merging Audio Device - MAD Driver - v2.1.0 Build 895) no longer worked, which forced me to reinstall it and found that it could not be installed on Windows 11 while upgrading from Windows 10 to Windows had revealed none of this.

Now I have only two options left: Either reinstall my entire system under Windows 10 Pro, or wait until the Merging driver is compatible with Windows 11 and Roon support finds the problem specified in its log files.

I think I will actually reinstall Windows 10 Pro and in the meantime listen to my CDs and vinyls. :sunglasses:

Everyone, have a good day and a good weekend!
Stephane

5 Likes

@Geoff_Coupe @Rugby

You’re include in my previous message… But the maximum @… is limited to 10 !

1 Like

Stephane sorry we could not help you more with this. I actually moved to Rock after a misadventure with Roon on Windows 10 a few years ago and I am firmly ensconced in the Rock camp now (even though I would prefer to run it on Debian or Ubuntu) as we see it as an appliance that only job is to play music.

Good luck with the re-install and remember to make sure any data on your C drive is copied somewhere safe as Windows might well want to wipe the drive if going back to Windows 10.

1 Like

It will quickly goes from 26725 to 30000 and Roon is rarely in the front. Without community, the help is no longer in the customer expectation.

1 Like

These experiences drove me from Windows into the Linux world. Late but still in time not to die on the line Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8 (first question marks), Windows 10 (serious problems only slowly solved), Windows 11 (tested and discarded).

So that I do not lose the knowledge, today I do dualboot (Windows 10 and Manjaro Linux KDE). It’s amazing that I haven’t completely given up fiddling with Windows.

1 Like

I would also prefer like you to have a stand-alone system like Rock or running under Linux to listen to dematerialized music but unfortunately this is not possible with the Merging Hapi and for the moment I do not wish to change it.

2 Likes

Yes anything that requires a dedicated driver seems often to be Windows only which is a problem.
It’s disappointing when it seems to be the OS that goes wrong the most.
I am still a windows and Mac user and they both have their problems, but Windows needs to be wiped more often than Macs in my 500 computer environment.

3 Likes

That would qualify you as ‘Optimist of the Year’…

You are very welcome Stéphane. I feel rather disappointed that we weren’t able to bring you back into the game in a smoother and less stressful way.

Have a nice weekend!

3 Likes

Would it be fair to assume you’ve turned on the power at the fuse / distribution board ?

IF so, does all your other kit work OK (apart from seeing your Room server) ?

Have you noticed whether the power to the Roon server is on ? :sunglasses:

If all the above are of no use, I would suggest going back on holiday for another couple of weeks - this will give you time to forget this problem and then when you return for the second time you’ll discover a brand new problem - your Roon server won’t start up !!

There IS logic to this unusual approach to problem solving… “A second pair of eyes always sees the problem differently” So when you return for the second time, you will be looking at the problem with ‘a second pair of eyes’.
:star_struck:

( Hey, I didn’t work in the IT industry for 50 years without picking up a few tips :crazy_face: )