Roon (Not Responding) after closing and re-opening Roon

Roon Core Machine

Windows 10 Pro (Version 10.0.19042)
Intel i7 - 10700K
Asus ROG Maximus XII Hero Wifi
32gb ram
Samsung SSD EVO 970 Plus 2TB

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Asus rog 5300 router hardwired to everything but iPad and phone.all other components on Ethernet.

Connected Audio Devices

PC(build above) → optical-> marantz HDDAC1 → Schiit Vidar → Def Tech D11s

Number of Tracks in Library

Less than 500 local tracks. Linked tidal account.

Description of Issue

Roon freezes on any restart after first opening. Screen opens and then freezes indefinitely. Have to reinstall Roon and reset up core every time my computer restarts since I leave Roon on and open 24/7 to mitigate this issue.

To get Roon to work I have to uninstall and reinstall including settings files.If i just reinstall application, it continues to freeze after reinstall. Seems like some file it needs to boot is getting corrupted. If i just uninstall settings it also fixes it. This leads me to believe its a file corruption issue of some kind.

Please help. This is hamstringing my use of the otherwise amazing program.

Drop box link for logs. Log file 1-3 approx 90kb all are from freezes after close and restart. Large file (4?) is last one before restart left running.

Hey @brandon_buccola, thanks for providing those logs, it’s a big help! I’m seeing this line in the most recent ones:

11/19 14:21:05 Warn: [storage] [directory] Failed to extract audio format from 'C:\Users\Brandon Buccola\Music\The Worlds Greatest Audiophile Vocal Recordings\2-Isnt She Lovely.flac': CorruptFile

Can you try deleting/moving that file out of your Music folder and see if the issue persists? Thanks!

File deleted from drive. Uninstalled and rebuilt core following deleteion. No change. ROON still freezing after exit. Have to uninstall and reinsall settings to restart.

@kevin deleted file, no change. Please help. this is becoming increasingly burdonsome for a daily user. This is not worth my lifetime subscription to have to reinstall every use. Can provide additional logs if need be. But no change after file deletion.

@kevin hello?

3 posts were split to a new topic: Windows 11 client only starts once after setup

Hey Brandon, apologies for not getting back to you here! If you don’t mind, I’d like to get another set of logs from you – can you reproduce the issue one more time, then zip up your logs and send them over?

And a few more questions:

• When you restart Roon does any of the UI load, or are you just seeing the Roon icon?
  • If you make it past the Roon icon, how far do you get before the UI freezes?
  • You’ve been a subscriber since 2018, do you recall any changes to your gear around the time this started happening?
1 Like

The UI does not load. The roon window opens, greys out and gets stuck in not responding.Shown below.

When it freezes it always freezes here. If the program starts, i have no issues until i close it and try and reopen. 9/10 it takes a reinstall to restart the program.

I Built a new computer is when this began. It is definitely a hardware interaction of some sort.

Will send logs after work

@kevin updated logs.

Still happening every time i open program. Completely unusable

It looks like these logs are from November and not the latest build:

11/02 10:39:54 Info: Starting Roon v1.7 (build 667) stable on windows

Can you upload a recent set of logs? I tried to request them from your Roon Core, but since you’re immediately crashing they never make it to our servers.

See updated logs here. reran most recent as of today. Still complete freeze.

@kevin

Logs linked above

@kevin

would it be beneficial to run core on a separate computer and see if it core or intertface thats locking it up?

Hi @brandon_buccola ,

Thanks for your patience while we’ve had a chance to review logs, unfortunately though, it doesn’t look like the logs contained any helpful clues. Can you confirm if the latest version of Roon helped at all?

Are you uninstalling via the Windows Control Panel? What happens if you reinstall by setting the old database aside? You can use these instructions to do so:

• Create a Backup of your current database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder
  • Verify if the issue persists on a fresh database for a while before restoring the backup
  • Check to see if issue still occurs after library restore

I did a fresh install making sure to go into app data and delete everything. Issue still persists. I have to reinstall every use of Roon. I may have found some windows logs to help here. Are there any advanced troubleshooting we can do here?

This is becoming unbearable to reinstall and reconnect every use.

@noris

What else can I provide to help drive this issue to closure?

Hi @brandon_buccola ,

Are you still seeing this behavior even on the latest Roon build? There have been a lot of fixes since your original post. If it is still occurring you can upload Windows Event Viewer logs or any other pertinent info to this link:

https://workdrive.zohoexternal.com/collection/8i5239cc05950ac07456889838d9319545a82/external

Yes. No change. I’ll create and send all logs I have. Would appreciate a reach out soon. Reinstalling every use is just not sustainable. Sorry I missed last response. Will get these logs uploaded this weekend.

1 Like