Roon now highjacking iPad volume since update

Add me to the list of users rapidly heading towards becoming “clinically deaf.” :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

The solution is to set the volume via Apple Home app. It’s not perfect but working.

For those that use Apple Home it may work… :wink:

:raising_hand_man: My vote for investigation.
100% volume for Roon bridge (RPi) = 100% for iPad (iOS 15.0.2)
Fixed volume for Roon bridge mutes iPad.
Everytime I open or switch to Roon Remote.

This disables the Roon control but still makes the iOS/iPadOS system volume sync to whatever the Roon zone’s volume is set to when you access it, in my case either max or mute.

Great, thanks for the feedback, Dylan!

Hi Dylan,
Much as I appreciate the sporadic responses to this glitch. To show good faith to every iOS user encountering this problem and the month it has already taken, to as yet fail to reach any remedy. Perhaps an offer of rolling back the last update should be made available to those who prefer not to have their system blown to bits or to miss alarms, notification sounds etc.

This matter does not seem to have grasped the team as to its significance and been made your number one priority!

I really think roon have dropped the ball on this and by at least rolling back, we can continue to use with satisfaction our iOS devices until you’re able to offer an update without this glaring issue?

I request this with respect but I’m sure many of the team have the same problem!

7 Likes

@dylan there are other ways to implement this… Check out how the TIDAL app works, for example.

Yes, I understand that if you are going to enable the iOS device’s hardware volume controls to adjust the volume of your active endpoint while using the Roon app, that the hardware buttons and the volume control in the app need to be synced. That is how iOS works, and all apps that enable this functionality will work this way while in the app.

However, there are different ways that an app can deal with the iOS volume when the app is closed. For example, in the TIDAL app, I can stream to any of my Sonos endpoints directly. When I open the TIDAL app, it will sync the iOS volume control to the volume of the Sonos endpoint that is playing, i.e. the volume slider and the device buttons are synced while TIDAL is open. HOWEVER, when I close the TIDAL app, Sonos endpoint will continue to play at the same volume, but the iOS volume control will return to whatever it was set to before I opened the TIDAL app. For example, I usually keep the volume on my iPhone muted. If I open TIDAL, the iOS volume will immediacy change to whatever the active Sonos endpoint volume is, and it will either change or be changed as I adjust the volume in the TIDAL app. But when I close the app, the iOS volume will then go back to being muted (or whatever it was before I opened TIDAL).

I suggest that you change the Roon app to behave the same way that the TIDAL app does, and that would address the concerns that most people have here. In addition, if there is a way to enable/disable the hardware volume control entirely (like you can with the Lock Screen volume control), then that should be implemented to avoid the whole issue.

Thanks!

3 Likes

Any news from Roon on this? I would have expected this to be very high priority… from a user experience perspective this is not good.

7 Likes

I would like to agree with that and reinforce it. Currently, I can’t control Roon with either iOS or iPadOS devices without having the volume mess.

Could we possibly get an update on this? Thank you very much.

2 Likes

Another half-baked feature! Good we are already used to it. :thinking:

I seldom listen to my iPad when I am surfing the net and using the iPad to control Roon. The volume is normally off. Just about every time I jump to Roon to select an album Roon accesses my volume and I go back to whatever program I was using with the volume blaring. It’s driving me nuts.

6 Likes

The feature doesn’t work and is dangerous.

Please, please, please, roll back the iOS app till it’s fixed.

I have to forbid anyone else in my household from using this app because of this volume problem, this has gone off well around here…

4 Likes

I have no audio output on my iPad now. It was okay up until very recently. I did have the issue of 100% volume if I had used the Roon Remote app on my iPad and then tried to use any other app that has audio.

However, upon trying to play YouTube yesterday, my iPad has no audio at all. I then tried the Roon app and set my endpoint as my iPad. Still no audio. It’s a very new iPad Pro. Any ideas?

Just to come back to my no iPad audio post, a shutdown and restart of my iPad fixed the issue.

@support This is a rather dangerous bug to have and we’ve had no updates since September.

5 Likes

As has been mentioned elsewhere, you can temporarily set device volume limits to protect equipment from this “bug” until a resolution has been implemented. You can override the limit, if required, with the application/software volume slider, easy peasy.

This is the danger, the volume is completely hijacked. Setting limits does not prevent from being blasted with full volume on any iOS device.

5 Likes

OK, thanks, I don’t use device volume controls (never have) which may explain why it works for me, so far!

Roon Core Machine

Nucleus+
8tb internal ssd

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Cable>etherregen> (A)nucleus (b) Linn dsm

Connected Audio Devices

Linn dsm via Ethernet from etherregen and Nucleus plus

Control through idevices

Number of Tracks in Library

37000 tracks

Description of Issue

I’m am using your beta feature where one can control the volume/previous/fast-forward on the Lock Screen of my iPhone.

I also use an iPad to control Roon. I go back and forth depending on whether I’m sitting or standing - my system is a open plan space in my home…

Scenario: I am sitting and listening to music while checking mail on my iphone.

My wife turns the music up using the iPad.

Bug/result: the volume goes up on my phone.

This is unexpected and has caused several problems for me when I have played a video using my phone. All the sudden it’s playing at a high volume when I think it’s off.

I can understand why the volume on my phone changes when I use this beta feature from my phone (though it’s not preferred… Having another device on my network change my phones volume is reallly weird.

2 Likes