Roon on Nucleus Crashing Repeatedly

I am having the exact same problem. Cable modem to Apple Router, ethernet to Netgear switch to Nucleus.

Apple router (or access point) creates a lot of problems on the local network. I also experienced issues a few years back. Removing the Apple router from the network resolved everything (no issues what-so-ever now).

Hi,

The Roon @support team prefer one topic per customer’s issue… so they are able to track it and focus on each individual problem. hence I split out your topic.

In order for Roon’s @support team to better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup and the nature of the issue using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so they can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

1 Like

Thank you for directing my inquiry to the correct route. My setup includes a cable modem, and Apple Time Machine router hardwired to a netgear switch. This switch connects a Nucleus, a Lumin Streamer/dac, and a Bluesound Node 2i. The problem is that the core will lose connection, music stops and Roon has to re-establish connection. This takes a minute or two. I had a similar issue about a year ago with a KEF LS50W. I know longer have the LS50W. I now have a Bluesound Node 2i connected via Coax to the LS50W2 in one zone and a Lumin T1 streamer in another zone. The current setup has worked flawlessly for the past six months. Within the past 3 weeks or so this disconnect issue has been occurring with some regularity. Some days it will not disconnect at all. At other times it may disconnect 3 or 4 times a day. This happens when listening to both my main and bedroom system.

Please power cycle the whole network, starting from the router and the switch, and include all the devices including but not limited to Nucleus and all the endpoints.

Hello @Randy_Hatcher1 ,

Please be aware that we have seen multiple issues surrounding Apple Networking Gear, and we explicitly suggest staying away from Apple routers due to the reports we’ve seen in the past:

Networking Best Practices Guide

Finally, we strongly recommend against using Apple network devices such as the Apple Airport Extreme and Airport Express (note: it’s fine to use the Airport Express as an Airplay device). To ensure the best performance, we recommend against using these devices.

When the issue occurs, are you still able to access the Nucleus Web UI?

1 Like

I have not attempted to access the WEB UI. I just wait for it to re connect. I will check if/when it happens again.

2 Likes

In other thread(s) you said you also have the “issue loading database” issue.

Please reboot the Roon Core, and see if you can restore a backup.

If not, try these steps:

• Stop RoonServer from running in Roon OS’s WebUI
  • Navigate to your Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RoonServer”
  • Rename the “RoonServer” folder to “RoonServer_old”
  • Restart the RoonServer in the WebUI to generate a new Roon database folder
  • On the Roon Remotes, press “Use another Core” and connect to the new database
  • Verify if the fresh database also has the same behavior