Roon only opens in fullscreen Mode

I’m new to Roon and after installing on my HP Spectre 13.3 inch screen I’m having multiple issues.

1. Its tells me its too small a screen and can only open maximized or in full screen mode. Except it doesn’t open maximized. I’ll see if I can add a screen shot below.

2. The background audio analysis is stuck no matter how many times I reboot my PC

3. Unnecessary duplicates for no reasons I can’t understand. It identifies songs correctly and then shows them as separate albums (how do you identify 20 different performances of the same album?) and they all have the same metadata and album art. which leads me to my next question…

4. Does Roon not use acoustic fingerprinting to identify songs like Shaazam? If so why not? That’s like using height and weight to identify someone when you have access to DNA! It doesn’t make sense to me and that’s probably the biggest reason of all for getting Roon because I wanted my library fixed and organize and I thought getting Roon will be better than the application TuneUp but it looks like I have to do a lot of work to fix even the tracks that were identified into the same album not to even talk of the ones that weren’t recognized.

5 Last question, what exactly happens to files that get exported from Roon? Does Roon write all its metadata to these files so that any application can then read them or how exactly does that work?

Does anyone know the solution to these issues?

Please guys, I still need help with this. Did I post this in the wrong forum?

Hi Bola,

What is the screen resolution set to on the HP Spectre, also assuming you are running Windows what scaling factor are you running?

I suspect it’s combination of these plus the DPI of the screen that’s not allowing Roon to run in a Window.

I recall reading some Roon rules on this … I’ll have a search to see if I can find them.

Maybe @Mike, @Vova, @Eric can shed more light.

For Windows machines you can use the scalefactor command when you start Roon as a workaround. Similar issue discussed here.

Thanks for responding guys! The screen resolution is 2560 x 1440 and the scaling is 200% on Windows 10. I would have expected that this issue would be more common since this is a very common setting on screens now and not some obscure setting I’m using.

Reading the link Joachim posted, sounds like 200% is the right setting unless something has changed in the app since then. Also isn’t avoiding issues like this supposed to be a benefit of using a quasi game engine to run the app’s UX? Anyways, the issue remains!

200% was suggested in that topic but that was with a 3200x1800 screen:

1800 scaled by 200% yields 900 virtual pixels … which is ok for Roon.

However with a 2560x1440 screen:

1440 scaled by 200% yields 720, which is the minimum required for Roon to run … Hence why it only runs in full screen mode (when the Windows tool bar is not taking up vertical space).

@danny mentioned also some Roon command line options suggested to overrule Windows scaling… but that can lead to tiny fonts.

Hi @Bola_Olomo – sorry for the slow response here.

As Carl mentioned, running with that scale factor is going to be pretty close to the minimum resolution Roon supports, so you may want to drop that down.

We also may be able to help here, either with a workaround or with some fixes on our end – why don’t you try dropping the scale factor down, and if you’re not happy let us know and we’ll take a look.[quote=“Bola_Olomo, post:1, topic:11693”]
2) The background audio analysis is stuck no matter how many times I reboot my PC

1. Unnecessary duplicates for no reasons I can’t understand. It identifies songs correctly and then shows them as separate albums (how do you identify 20 different performances of the same album?) and they all have the same metadata and album art. which leads me to my next question…
    [/quote]

For both of these, I think logs will give us a lot more information. @Eric will follow up with instructions for getting more information over to us and we can take a look.

We actually had fingerprinting in an earlier product, and we found it to be unacceptably sloppy – yes it can sometimes fix incorrect song and artist information, but so much of Roon is about placing the music you love back in context. That goes down the drain when a song you love shows up matched to some budget Best Of Jazz compilation, instead of being matched to the original release, and the rich metadata that comes along with it.

Roon uses a number of different cues to match your music to its original release, and you can use the Identify feature to match up any albums that didn’t get a match, or matched to the wrong edition. We’re always improving this part of the product so nothing is set in stone here, but fingerprinting just wasn’t providing the level of accuracy we strive for when automatically retrieving metadata.

A lot of basic metadata does get written out to the tags when you export, but much of Roon’s metadata was designed to overcome the limitations of file tags. File tags are never going to know that the thirty different spellings of Tchaikovsky are all the same person, or be able to separate Bill Evans from Bill Evans, but basic metadata is written out when you export.

Thanks for the questions @Bola_Olomo!

Thanks for chiming in Mike! I reduced my scaling to 175% and the text became smaller but not too much. I can live with it so I’ll consider that resolved.

I understand what you are saying mike but my response to this is why does this have to be a either/or situation? The beauty of data living in he digital realm is that we are no longer restricted in how we can use or manipulate it. Given that your current solution is far from perfect why not add fingerprinting to it? It doesn’t have to take priority over your current method it just have to come into play when your current method fails.

For instance, I have many songs in my over 12,000 song library that your current method doesn’t recognize probably because I collected this songs well over a decade ago when just getting the song was all I cared about and proper tags wasn’t in my thoughts. In this scenario having the name of the song and the artist and a nice album art would be nice even it says “Best of Jazz Compilation”

I realize that this is not the idealized way you want your App to work but surely you agree that in situations where you can’t even identify the album or song or artist much less album cover using fingerprinting is better than nothing.

One last thing, I exported a playlist and there was no prompts or feedback letting me know that the export was complete or that it was successful. After I clicked on it I just had to take it on faith that everything worked out fine. Did I miss something or is there really no notification for exports?

@mike you never responded about combining your current song ID system with fingerprinting in cases where the former fails…even if the user has to manually initiate it under “Identify Album”

Sorry for the slow response @Bola_Olomo!

Yup, that makes sense, and we may add fingerprinting back in the future. Our past experience was that it added more false positives than value, but I’d be interested to know more about the files that we’re not currently matching.

Feel free to post some examples in the metadata issues section, and you might add fingerprinting to the feature requests section too.

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed after 12 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.