Roon performance terribly slow since v 2 build 1221

@benjamin

I’ve removed my 3TB SSD that I’ve placed into the Nucleus after I’ve bought it (where my music is stored) and exchanged it with a new 4TB SATA SSD SA500 WDRed. Did this because I wanted to to this anyway.

The internal roon/Nucleus SSD by the way was exchanged by local professional roon partner company a few months ago (Nov22):

1 Like

@benjamin — regarding my questions earlier this month…:

…can you maybe give directions regarding folder structure?
I do want to move forward here and try things out. Would it effect any edits and history in my library if I would change the directories (e.g. moving my artist‘s subfolders (like AC-DC/, …) into 24 upper subfolders according to the alphabet (like A/, B/ …). Or would this effect my history and editing?

Also any hint regarding external meta data (SongKong), would be great, please point me into the right direction.

Thank you
Michael

Hi @Michael_Putz,

Yes, I can share information from a previous reply -

I’m not able to provide much information around SongKong unfortunately. Perhaps this thread may be interesting for you:

Outside of that, I don’t have any additional updates at this time. We’re still investigating potential causes.

If possible, can you provide an update on the tags in your library? Are you still using tags to mark tracks you have not yet listened to?

Thanks!

That’s how I have the “named artists.” How about the albums with songs by various artists? That’s where the trouble lies.

The only tags that were used were inserted by Song Kong, and I have deleted all of those.
Is there a way to stop Roon from “adding music”? Or reporting which tracks are causing problems? Or even reporting where it is looking for new tracks at any given point in time?

No update — and maybe we are mixing up different topics here?

My tags are unchanged from my previous note:

However, in the fresh library [that caused the same irritating slow performance that the regular one] I’ve had no tags at all!

@benjamin — what your tech guys found out with the copy of the latest backup?? Thanks :pray:

@benjamin - p l e a s e
I’m getting angry meanwhile.

Have seen this displayed for 29 seconds before the result was shown…

No satisfaction, at all. Very much disappointed.

Hi @Michael_Putz,

No mixup here, I was inquiring about your previous setup where you had tagged all ~40K tracks as Unevaluated until you would listen to the track.

We’re continuing to investigate a handful of potential issues linked to a degradation in performance, as there’s likely a combination of potential causes for the sluggish performance you’ve reported, all related to the breakdown of library structure. One of them being a high number of tags applied to tracks.

Another follow-up question for you:
Do you have at least one artist in your library with over 1000 tracks?

Do you have at least one artist in your library with over 1000 albums?

@benjamin

The artist in my library with the highest number of tracks is Pink Floyd, with something between 600 and 700 tracks.

For sure not (the artist „various“ will be the #1 artist kn my library, but way less then 500 albums)

Hey @Michael_Putz,

Thanks for letting me know. Do you have multiple languages enabled for your localized metadata settings? You’d find that under Roon Settings>General>Languages for artists and album names

Our development team are also interested in reviewing a specific library csv export from your library. Steps to follow below:

1. Head to ‘Artists’ in your library
  2. Focus>Storage locations> select your local drive to filter your local library
  3. Sort by> Album count
  4. Select all your artists (Cmd+A or right click an artist>select all from the top left corner of the screen)
  5. Export>Excel

From there, please upload the export file here.

1 Like

@benjamin

No - English only.
Do you recommend that I shall tick other boxes (I do have French and German language content in my library…)?

Done

Correction on this one:

Actually, I found out that I do! David Bowie with 1446 tracks in my local library (none via Tidal). Is 1000 a serious limit?

Quick question here - are we looking at subfolders with > 1000 tracks, and does the sluggishness pop up in cases with performers / composers ?

(my Jordan Sebastian Creek, the New Kid on the Liepzig organ, collection is around 4k tracks, and I’ve got seven performers with > 1000 tracks. And yeah, search has been slow as molasses, since the switch to cloud IIRC, though it seems like turning off Wikipedia content has helped a bit)

Hey @Michael_Putz,

Thanks for that info. No, no need to tick any additional boxes in this case.

We’re not putting any limits on track or album numbers at this time, just data points.

And hello @Xekomi :

Again, I’m not able to definitely point at a specific cause for the decrease in performance yet, we’re collecting as much data as possible to better pin down potential causes. Having subfolders with over 1000 tracks is one of those data points we’re collecting. I’d suggest making your own, new thread with your system information completely filled out. Feel free to tag me on that thread and we can dig in deeper.

Thanks!

Thanks - will do if and when it goes back to being buggy in a consistent manner (it’s been better behaved the the past couple of weeks).

@benjamin - anything new - still a completely nerve-wracking performance of roon when filtering tracks or albums or adding composers/performers to tracks etc… please, any progress here?

[image]

@benjamin - help!!

Hi @Michael_Putz,

Thanks for checking in. I apologize in that I don’t have any updates for you at this time. This issue is still a bit mysterious, and deep-rooted, but we’ve ironed out good next steps for our team to chase that will help us move forward.

To provide you with proper expectations: it is proving to be a difficult, slow burner of an issue, and likely one that will need a fair amount of time with our development team.

I will follow up when I have updates to share. :+1:

@benjamin - another two weeks with no progress.
Poor performance gets worse, e.g. when I am editing a track and want to change or add or remove someone of the personnell according to roon database. It takes about five to ten seconds before the name I’ve typed into the search field delivers a result

HELP

@benjamin — please, the performance as of today is basically zero.
Either trying to peak into the history/album collection, or loading an album, or anything basically. NOTHING WORKS! I am not waiting seconds, I am waiting for minutes now for any Roon reaction. NOTHING.

HELP H-E-L-P help please - I am devastated

Hi @Michael_Putz,

I understand your frustration, our team is still working behind the scenes on this issue and I don’t yet have any new information to share.

For now, one option you have to navigate around sluggish performance is to remove 50% of your local library, and rely on Tidal to stream the removed content. This way you’d at least be able to navigate an enjoy your music while we get to the bottom of this issue.

I hope to have more information to share soon, and thanks for your continued patience. :+1: