Roon popping when playing music

When I play using roon I have a random popping that occurs constantly. It’s like a vinyl pop has been added to my music.

I have just moved house and everything is wired with ethernet. What do I need to provide to help get this sorted? @Support

My streamer is a sotm sms-200ultra and I have a desktop running roon core on 24/7.

Thanks

Paul

Hi @Paul_Whittaker,

So we can better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

Does this occur if you play to other endpoints like the internal speakers of one of your remotes?

Does this occur with all content or just specific types (TIDAL vs local, specific file types, etc.)?

First of all sorry for the huge delay in getting back to you. I have just moved house.

So I have 64bit roon server running on a 64bit win 10 Pro machine with 32gb ram, i7 9700k, RTX 2080ti and is connected to a netgear switch. The switch has a Drobo 5N2 connected to it and the switch is connected to my router.

This issue occurs only on my SOtM sms-200ultra and not other hardware like my Google home or Ipad speaker.

I have a yamaha CDS2100 that is connected to a yamaha AS2100 amplifier to Kef R700 speakers. The CDS2100 is a dac for my streamer but is a cd player. When playing CDs the popping noise goes making me suspect the sms-200ultra.

Do you need anything else from me?

Thanks

Paul

Hi @Paul_Whittaker,

Can you share a screenshot of device setup for the SOtM? Can you also share a screenshot of the signal path when playing to this device as well?

If you play to the SOtM from outside of Roon does this same behavior occur?

Can you confirm what the model is of this switch? Is it managed?

I have attached screenshots as requested including the models of switches involved. The S8000 is new in my chain and sits between the nas and the other switch the streamers is connected too.

Could it be a setting in this switch? I haven’t changed anything and it is set as default.

Thanks

Paul

I know I haven’t been the best at relying myself but would love this to be sorted for xmas as I have guests over if possible. I know my Sotm streamer has a firmware update waiting that I will try later and report back on.

Thanks

Paul

Hi @Paul_Whittaker ---- Thank you for getting in touch and apologies for the delay on our end.

Reading through your conversation with Dylan I have some additional questions to try and eliminate some potential variables here. Kindly see below.

1. This may be a silly question but I don’t see it mentioned anywhere here :innocent: Since encountering this behavior have you rebooted all devices in your Roon setup?

2. If you use the SMS-200 + CD2100 zone outside of Roon with the same storage location etc do you notice any of the mentioned popping?

3. I understand that your storage location is the mentioned Drobo 5N2. During your troubleshooting have you verified how playback performs when content that is stored locally to your core machine is streamed to the SMS-200 + CD2100 zone?

4. Have you tried bypassing the SMS-200 temporarily just to verify what the experience is like without it in the chain of communication?

• Due to the fact that you are using the SMS-200 my assumption is that the goal is to have the CD2100 being used a “network” based audio zone, so I understand how tedious this type of test can prove to be, particularly if you have to move stuff around. My recommendation would be to use another device, such as a laptop, to run Roon as a remote and mount the CD2100 directly to it via USB. This will mimic a similar setup but will replace the SMS-200 which is the goal of the test.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Hi Eric,

Yes all device have been rebooted a number of times throughout my testing. The SMS 200ultra is connected by USB to the CDS2100 cdplayer. The CD player has a DAC function.

I don’t have anything else setup on the sms streamer to test but can play with it later and the same goes for testing playing media on my PC (core) itself through it to rule a NAS issue out.

I will also connect my laptop to the DAC and set the laptop as an out put device to see if the issue occurs.

All results will be posted later tonight, fingers crossed I can impress my guests for xmas :slight_smile:

Thanks

Paul

1 Like

So I’ve finally got time to sit down and test.

First test was for me to install my cd players windows drivers and plug my laptop into the dac directly and leave all other components the same (music source, pc core etc).

The popping has gone so am I right in saying the issue is with my steamer? I won’t conduct further investigations as I think this is proof it’s a streamer configuration of some kind that needs fixing.

Thanks

Paul

So it crossed my mind, I may have narrowed it down to a certain device but it could be the device itself. So I’m trying to get bubble upnp to work but can’t figure it out. I did notice this in the roon setting on my streamer though.

OK sticking with my laptop as an output. Music can jump then eventually skip track and stop.

Could be unrelated but maybe it’s helpful. Still no joy with bubble upnp.

A post was split to a new topic: Auralic Vega G2 popping noise

Hello @Paul_Whittaker,

As far as we are aware, Yamaha does not advertise Linux support for devices with USB DAC inputs. The SOtM sMS-200ultra runs a variant of Linux as it’s operating system, which would explain the issues you are seeing.

-John

Are you suggesting this is a compatability issue between my streamer and my cd player? Don’t temp me. I’m itching for an excuse to splash out on a new Chord DAC haha.

@eric does this sound right to you?

I have emailed SOTM for further support and I will post here what they say.

Thanks

Paul

Hello @Paul_Whittaker,

I am unable to confirm with 100% certainty as Yamaha is not a member of our Roon Tested program, and thus we do not have the device on-hand to test with. However, we had members of the technical team do some research on the topic of Yamaha linux support, and there appears to be multiple collaborating reports of incompatibilities with Yamaha USB DACs and Linux. In addition, Yamaha themselves does not advertise Linux compatibility.

-John

To put a close to the matter for other members looking for a solution. I took the opportunity to justify a DAC purchase. I am now an owner of a Chord Qutest and its working flawlessly. According to SOtM my streamer can work with my dac (yamaha) if I get the settings correct. I havnt tested this and won’t unless someone requests it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.