Roon, Qobuz, Lyngdorf, Bluesound and Sonos

My current system is

Windows 10 PC
Lyngdorf TDAI 1120 connected via Ethernet cable
Roon
Qobuz

I spend many hours listening to music in my lounge from my Lyngdorf system but now I want the facility to listen in the kitchen and dining room. Not only music but also podcasts and radio. I don’t need the same high quality I get from my Lyngdorf but just need the facility.

What is the best way to achieve this ? Can I simply buy a couple of Sonos one speakers and connect them via Wi-Fi and then control Qobuz / Roon using the app as I do in my living room with the Lyngdorf or is it more complicated than that ?

Would using a Bluesound Node or similar be better ?

Apologies if this is a dumb question but I am not particularly well versed in tech matters

Hi @Tim_Emptage

Sonos works well with Roon. You can either use Airplay or Sonos Streaming with Roon.

Sonos Streaming allows all Sonos speakers to be grouped within Roon.

With Airplay, all Airplay devices can be grouped.

Roon is a good solution for whole house audio.

Sonos product are good IMO, I can recommend them.

2 Likes

Personally I would stay away from Sonos. There has been random yet regular issues affecting sonos device stability n roon for the last couple of years (since roon 1.8). If you read the board there is an issue ongoing again right now.

I replaced a couple of play 1 with bluesound and they have been rock solid.

Still have 1 play 5 and right now that is suffering the current issue.

The flip side though is that, when working, i do think sonos play 1 sounds better than its bluesound counterpart.

Swings and roundabouts.

3 Likes

Thanks Menzies for this

So all I would need to do would be to have a couple of Sonos one gen 2 speakers and connect them to my wi fi system and Roon app by Wi-Fi. Is that it or do I need to do anything else ?

1 Like

Thanks Ogdens

If I went the Bluesound route it would be more expensive as I would need a s/h Node. What small speakers would you suggest ?

The Bluesound system would, I think, have the advantage that I could use wireless headphones. This is something I need to do occasionally and is not possible with the Lyngdorf

1 Like

Whilst I’ve read many with issues, I have never had any of these such issues. This is why I can happily recommend it.

Without sounding cliche, my network is very robust and it’s only my ISP I have issues with.

Sonos has been very reliable. An adequate sound, more so from Roon for music.

1 Like

You’ve got it. If you don’t need Alexa or Google voice, maybe the One SL’s.

1 Like

I replaced to 2 x Sonos Play 1 with 2 x Bluesound Pulse Flex 2i.

Do some digging around the Sonos threads before you decide to go that route and you will see the issues that Sonos has had with Roon since 1.8 roll-out.

I do not believe that any of these issues are “network related” as the only thing that is ever affected by users who report the problem is Sonos inside Roon. All other Roon and non Roon network devices / activity remains solid when the issue occurs.

Im not knocking Sonos here. I used to have a full house Sonos system before I found Roon. Just 1 play 5 left now, which is suffering issues inside Roon again.

I have 22 regular devices on my home network, every other device is solid, so like I say, the roon / sonos issue is nothing to do with the home network.

3 Likes

My network topology is below.

All my Sonos equipment is on Wi-Fi (even though my Bean is plugged into the Flex Mini switch.

I’ve had other Sonos equipment and still have other wireless speakers such as HomePods etc. and never have issues.

I believe a good network is required with Roon and Sonos. But I have had great success with Google’s 1st gen mesh Wi-Fi devices (2 units) with wired backhaul including a 16 port switch.

I do feel for those who experience Sonos issues with Roon, but having never had issues it’s hard for me not to recommend Sonos in use with Roon.

I’ve also ran my Core on Wi-Fi and again never had issues. No lag/delays etc.

The Landing AP is plugged into the TP-Link switch located in my attic. Currently only that is plugged in to it, but soon the TP-Link will be the main switch and has been tested prior and again no issues.

This might be of interest to you if you aren’t aware.

1 Like

Ogdens. Apologies for being thick but do I need a Bluesound Node as well ?

Any alternative to the Pulse Flex 2i as they are quite expensive.

No apologies needed IMHO. We aren’t all experts in this. I’ve got a good amount of experience and try where I can to help others.

As I say to my apprentices at work, there’s no stupid question. Only stupid if you don’t ask. :rofl:

I’ll let @ogdens_sliced answer the Bluesound question as I have no experience with their equipment.

No, I don’t need or want Alexa.

Would I be able to connect wireless headphones to Sonos, I can’t to my Lyngdorf system

Unfortunately not.

To get music wirelessly I’d look at using your phone with Roon Remote and set the phone as an endpoint. With either wired headphones or Bluetooth headphones. Works well in my test cases.

I use chromecast speakers in the kitchen.

1 Like

Ah yes. There’s another option.

Is playback gapless on those or is the gap-gate issue present there?

Do have them (assumption of stereo pair) in stereo via Roon or paired in Home app?

No, you dont need a node.

I just have 2 flex running on wifi mixed in with other roon endpoints.

Yes was reading that this morning.
When the sonos issues occur I just run the play 5 on airplay until I see some news of sonos streaming working again in roon

They offer speaker systems like Sonos that don’t need separate amps.

Thanks for all the answers

It seems that solution for me is to buy a couple of Sonos one SL speakers, I can get. 30% discount ad I have an old generation Connect.

Cnnect via Wi-Fi to Roon and off I go

If there is an issue with Roon I assume I could direct from Qobuz to the Sonos speakers