Roon Radio repeats songs multiple times [Roon Investigating]

@mike , thanks for the excellent news! :heart: Testing now…

1 Like

Not sure when we see the fix, but its still fundamentally broken for me, the exact same songs in the exact same order will play after albums I have picked.

I am right into Lambchops Mr M at the moment, it will follow up with the exact same playlist in roon radio every time.

Still way too much repetition over here: Costello, Tame Impala, Taylor Swift, …
Seed was

Testing several Zones playing for hours on end, it looks like a huge improvement so far. I can’t see any repeats in the Queue. I’ll have a better idea this weekend when I get a chance to listen all day.

Qobuz, Tidal and NAS.

Roon Radio continues to act more like a playlist than a radio. Albums or tracks end and RR plays the same songs in the same order. I haven’t noticed any improvements.

So far it’s been a huge improvement. Multiple Zones, streaming different genres, and I (we) haven’t noticed any repeats in over 8 hrs listening. Please keep up this effort - nothing else is this important.

Qobuz, Tidal and NAS.

1 Like

The issue persists for me. Same artists, same songs. Super frustrating. Qobuz and Tidal radio work great through their apps but Roon Radio has acted like a disappointing, predictable playlist for months. I use DSP filters through Roon, so I’m really hoping improvements in artist and track variety will come soon.

1 Like

Another user having the issue. It’s not fixed.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/the-wonders-of-roon-radio-a-field-of-gold/199718/7

1 Like

Recently I have noticed more songs played from my library vs Qobuz. I would much prefer song exploration vs my library.

Roon Core Machine

QNAP TS-873

Networking Gear & Setup Details

ASUS RT-AC66U B1

Connected Audio Devices

Bluesound Devices
DragonFly Black

Number of Tracks in Library

~70k + Tidal

Description of Issue

I’ve been having trouble with Shuffle lately. I’ve searched the forum and there are similar threads but they are closed.

The problem I’m having is that when I choose an artist that is very popular such as Led Zeppelin or Radiohead and try to shuffle these artists using the “Play Now” button, strange behavior happens. Basically, I just get a lot of repeated songs-- not just the same song on a different album or EP but the exact same song from the exact same album. It is very frustrating for obvious reasons. On top of this, sometimes when I click the “Play Now” button on an artist it starts playing a completely different artist. Not sure this is related to this problem or not.

As mentioned, I notice that this mostly happens with very popular artists. Not so much with more niche artists such as session musicians and smaller bands. Don’t know why.

See attachment for example of the non-shuffling.

Add images

Hi @J_B ,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you here, are you still seeing this behavior at the present time? Is there any change in behavior if you try to use a different (or new) Roon profile, do you still see such repetition?

Yes, it is still happening, sorry I didn’t get back to you right away but I finally got a chance to test it. It’s still happening on my main profile but I also created a fresh profile and it’s happening all over again. It plays some songs but then other songs are repeated in a similar order over and over again. I’ve circled the offending sequence in the screenshots below:

There are other repeated songs as well.

1 Like

It’s still happening. It’s kind of annoying actually. I want to hear other songs too!

Hi @J_B ,

We were recently looking into this issue in a separate thread here:

I take it that the fix didn’t help in your case… What did you use to start this session? Radiohead, Led Zepplin, or something else?

I was shuffling Miles Davis. I see that Roon core was updated today, did you fix the bug in this version or previously?

Hi @J_B ,

We are still looking into this issue, can you please confirm the questions that Mike asks?

Thanks!

Yea, this has happened to me a few times. I have to start a few new songs to clear it

Here are my answers:

• How are you starting radio? Specifically, from what screen or piece of content are you starting the Radio session? If Radio is kicking in automatically when the queue runs out, let us know that

It happens when I click the “play now” button on an artist’s page.

• When the radio session is active what does it say in the Radio section of the queue, next to "Playing music similar to"

It just says “Playing Radiohead” or whatever artist I’m listening to.

• Do you have any settings enabled in the Radio section of the queue? Limit to library? Filter explicit?

No

• Do you use a streaming service?

Yes, Tidal

1 Like

Yes, I am having the same problem. Not only does this happen on Roon Radio, but it also happens when playing playlists on shuffle. These are large playlists with over 500 songs. I should not hear the same song for days, yet I hear the same songs more than once in an hour sometimes. I see a lot of people are experiencing this most annoying problem, but I do not see any acknowledgement of the problem from Roon.

Well it appears that they are actively working on it now (see above posts). Anyways, for me it actually seems to be a bit better. After an update, I streamed Radiohead today for 4 hours with only one repeat! :slight_smile:

1 Like