Roon Radio repeats songs multiple times [Roon Investigating]

@RBO , @jamie has acknowledged that Roon is looking in to this. FYI.

1 Like

Cheers Neil.

When I searched, it was only this thread I found.

@AceRimmer Kev, do you think these two threads should be merged to avoid confusing people like me? :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT: Never mind. Just seen the one with the “ticket in” has been closed.

1 Like

I am putting this issue in this thread as it seems like it may be related. I am under the impression that when I select an Artist and select Play Now that Roon should play all songs by that Artist until it runs out of those songs and then switch to Roon Radio. However that is not what is happening. For example, I selected artist Larry Fleet. It played 3 of his songs and then started mixing other artists in the playlist. Am I incorrect in my understanding of how this is supposed to work?

That is what should happen.

Thank you. That’s what I thought. It is not what is happening in my system.

You’re welcome.

Have not seen this mentioned here before so can’t really give any pointers apart from maybe check your shuffle toggle and try to restart everything? You may also want to create a thread in support.

I’ve given up on it until they fix it, plays the same songs for me each session if it’s in the same genre. Not discovered anything new with it for ages.

Hey @Chikolad @Gerdy @grzlybear @JAM @Paul_Hermans @RBO – we’re looking into this issue and would like to request some additional information to help with our investigation.

A few questions:

• How are you starting radio? Specifically, from what screen or piece of content are you starting the Radio session? If Radio is kicking in automatically when the queue runs out, let us know that
  • When the radio session is active what does it say in the Radio section of the queue, next to "Playing music similar to"
  • Do you have any settings enabled in the Radio section of the queue? Limit to library? Filter explicit?
  • Do you use a streaming service?

Feel free to drop answers here and flag me and @noris, or alternatively drop us a PM.

We’ve made some improvements here over the last few months, but it sounds like we have more work to do – this information will help us understand and resolve the issue, so thanks in advance for your help and patience folks!

My understanding is that it plays songs associated with the artist, so I might get a cover of a song by Bob Dylan if I select “play” on his artist page.

.sjb

@noris @mike

I’ll leap in here…

1. I usually start Roon radio by searching for an artist by name, clicking their name, then clicking the drop down next to the “play now” button on my iOS device and selecting “start radio”. I occasionally use the Mac OS app and do it the same way, and I haven’t noticed any difference in behavior whether I use iOS or Mac OS.

2. When the radio session is active it says “playing music similar to X”, with X being the name of the band or artist I used to kick off the listening session.

3. Neither the “filter explicit content in Roon radio” or “limit Roon radio to library” tabs are checked (both are off).

4. I use both Tidal and Qobuz and also have a local library on a NAS on my network.

Thanks guys. I look forward to getting this back to the old Roon radio.

1 Like

Thank you for continuing to investigate this @noris @mike

1. I usually choose the music I want to listen to and RR kicks in when the album or track ends. This happens with iPhone, iPad, MacBook, and PC.

2. It says playing music similar to (last song I selected before radio kicks in).

3. Filter and library options are not on/selected.

4. I use Tidal and Qobuz.

I just tried starting the radio from the album page and it played the same songs in the same order that it played when I just let the music run out.

@mike , I’m surprised by this comment. I’d have to say Radio is in the worst state it’s ever been. My absolutely favorite Roon feature is barely useable now. Looking forward to a fix soon (tomorrow? :slight_smile: ). I pay for Qobuz and Tidal specifically for Radio; always let Radio start when an album finishes Thanks.

2 Likes

Hi @mike @noris - usually I choose an artist album to play, then Roon radio will continue playing based on the music that was played before.
I have used it with my own collection in combination with Qobuz and Tidal. I use no constraint on my library and no focus.
I use my Mac mini as core and my iPad Air M1 and iPhone 11 as remote.
sometimes it plays 15 songs and starts all over again sometimes it takes more than 25 songs.
What I have also noticed is that sometimes Roon radio also plays a song here and there repeatedly and does not restart the entire list

Hi @mike, @noris

First of all I need to say it doesn’t always happen. In fact it didn’t repeat much for me since I commented in this thread. What does still happen is that RR will sometimes select the exact same tracks given the same seed, when the radio restarts (let’s say after the Zone it was playing to was disconnected and reconnected).
Most of the time I start with a track, so the radio will play music similar to that track.
I have no limits or filters.
I use Tidal and my local library.

Hi @mike and @noris I have my own ticket showing examples of what it does with no repy from anyone at Roon. Radio is allowed to kick in at end of an an album. It’s limiting the tracks it plays to recent releases and often plays the same ones in a slightly different order next session During any session it will repeat same songs from artists after only a few and often in the same order as before and it always seems to be the same small selection for each type of music obviously I don’t get indie rock music from playing Jazz.

@mike @norris

In my case Radio is kicking in automatically when the queue runs out.
It indicates “Playing music similar to” the last track of the composed queue.
No limits, no filter.
And I use Qobuz.

HTH. Paul

1 Like

I just got an email from Roon bragging about all of the recent improvements to the program

anybody know if they’ve fixed this bug which has been around for years? I let my subscription lapse since I refuse to pay for a program that has a known issue that they can’t or won’t fix.

1 Like

If you read this thread, especially about 10 posts up you will have some answers.

It’s acknowledged and a WIP right now.

Thank you for your patience and understanding and hopefully you will give Roon a try out again in the near future.

1 Like

Earlier today our data team was able to track down a bug that could cause Radio sessions to restart on our server in some cases – this lack of continuity in a given session could definitely cause intermittent repeats, which would explain this kind of feedback:

We’ve now rolled out a fix for this particular issue. While that doesn’t mean the problem is resolved in every case, I’ve done some limited testing over the course of my day and the results are encouraging.

We continue to test and investigate but I’d like to know if you’re all seeing similar results – if you are still seeing repeats please be sure to let us know the details, including the content Radio was “seeded” with, and what tracks were played more than once.

With intermittent issues like this it’s always possible we’re dealing with more than one issue dependent on metadata quality, environmental factors, or server-side conditions. If it is still happening, I’m confident we can track it down, so let us know what you’re seeing and thanks again for all the feedback everyone!

@Chikolad @Gerdy @grzlybear @JAM @Paul_Hermans @RBO @Neil_Small @Laertes @bruce_bosler1 @CrystalGipsy

7 Likes