Roon Remote Becomes Unresponsive After Music Playback (ref#TNN6L1)

Full form submission

Is Roon Server running?

· Yes, Roon Server is turned on and running.

What do you see on your screen?

· I see something else

When you try to connect, what screen do you see?

· I see something else

Describe the issue

Frequently, if I start playing music with the roon remote when I leave the music playing and go back after some amount of time the roon remote will be unresponsive. It will display as if a previous song is still playing and can’t stop to make changes unless I close the app and reopen it. This happens very frequently. I am running the latest version of Roon. I am using an iPhone 15 for the remote. This same problem also occurred with a previous phone. My Roon library is on a Innuos Zen mini me III which is also up to date on software.

Describe your network setup

Innuous Zen mini is connected via Ethernet to google router

This has been a known issue for several months for some people, there were some fix attempts but they didn’t solve it (completely)

There is an ongoing investigation in the Early Access testing area of the forum:

@Josh_Kanipe
I’ve had this problem for some time now, cleaning up memory solves it. My Galaxy S21 Ultra has quite a bit, 12GB of RAM.
Since the last update, I have also been constantly seeing excessive RAM usage, only concerning the Roon Remote app.

1 Like

Thank you for the responses. Re: RAM, I think the only way to address that on an iPhone is by closing the app or restarting the phone. Neither of those have had a lasting impact. But that suggestion did spur some investigation, I see iPhones have a setting to allow “background app refresh” on or off at an individual app level. I see all of my apps listed there with the option to toggle on or off except Roon / Roon remote. I am wondering if this is related.

Hello I just reported this issue. I found that on iOS this happens mostly if iOS battery save mode is enabled. Other media apps do not show this effect. Thus having iOS battery save mode disabled helps.

Neve had than on and it still happens. Some of us have found it only happens when connected to a streaming service. If just local and no services active in Roon it doesn’t happen. Qobuz being the culprit so far but could be Tidal as well.

Thanks for the responses. I also do not have “low power mode” on and it still happens. I do almost all of my listening via Qobuz streaming. So I’m not sure about the difference with local library in my case. I can test it out. I did use Roon with this same system and set up for a couple of years with no issues until it started happening last year.

Thanks,

Hello @Josh_Kanipe ,

Thanks for your report. Yes, we are looking into this behavior, can you please let us know the exact local time + date when you next observe this issue? We’ll enable diagnostics after to see if logs contain any useful clues, thanks!

Thank you, Noris. Yes it happened today May 1st at 3:04 CST.

Playing music for a bit. Kept it playing in background while I did other stuff. Went back and screen is showing as if a song that played several songs back is still playing. Can’t pause or skip track at that point. If I click onto the song everything is blacked out (this black out artwork is new as if this last update). After closing the app and reopening the correct track playing displays and I can control the app. This general behavior occurs multiple times per listening session.