Roon remote crashes instantly on S 24 Ultra [Fix Testing in EarlyAccess]

Roon Server Machine

MacMini M1

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Roon remote app crashes almost instantly on new Samsung S24 Ultra. I have uninstalled the app, restarted the phone and installed the app again, but it’s the same problem.
Have the app working fine on S22 a d S23 Ultra.
Please advise. Br Aleks

8 Likes

Hi @Aleksander_Hjortnaes,

The S24 Ultra has not yet been officially released by Samsung - is this a press or promotional device?

Please share the build numbers for Android One UI and Android OS on this phone, as well as whether you’ve downloaded Roon Remote from the Play Store or via APK.

Additionally, our QA team has requested ADB logs, if you are willing, at your convenience:

Connect your PC to Android phone and install ADB (instructions are here (all platforms)). Then:

1. Type adb shell in terminal
  2. Type logcat v (ref: Logcat command-line tool  |  Android Studio  |  Android Developers)
  3. Reproduce the problem and let terminal print logs for 3-5 more seconds
  4. Select output from the moment you started the reproduction of the bug till the very end
  5. Upload the log here and let us know once you have done so:

Upload here

Thank you!

2 Likes

Same Problem Here. Just set up the S24 Ultra today and Roon App Crashes instantly after First Tap on anything (Album, Zone, menu). Roon Arc working without Problem.

Thanks for a fix

Adding that the app hast worked flawlessly with S23 Ultra before

Also adding:

Android One UI: 6.1
Android OS: 14
Roon downloaded from Playstore

1 Like

Roon Server Machine

Mele Quieter3C Mini PC - Celeron N5105 16GB RAM 512GB SSD
Ubuntu Linux 23.04 Server

Connection to the network via GB Ethernet cabled network using D-Link and Linksysy unmanaged switches

Connected Audio Devices

Ropiie Raspberry PI with Audioquest Dragonfly Red connected to Denon PMA-655R Amplifier

48104 Tracks

Description of Issue

I was mostly streaming from Roon Server to:

• iPhone 14 Pro Max updated to the latest available IOS version
  • Samsung S10+ (SM-G975F/DS) with OneUI 4.1 (Android 12)

I’ve bought a new phone to replace the Samsung S10+, specifically a Samsung S24 Ultra 1TB (SM-S928B/DS) with OneUI 6.1 (Android 14)
After migrating settings and apps to the new phone I saw that Roon keeps constantly crashing.
I launch Roon, it loads and connects to server.
Once it starts updating the home page after a few seconds the app crashes and drops back to the phone home screen. Only once I could manage to have it running long enough to be able to enable the phone as a new Audio Zone.

I’ve already tried:

• Cleaning the cache of Roon app from settings
  • Cleaning all the data of Roon app from settings
  • Uninstalling and re-installing Roon app

Nothing has solved the issue.
On the same phone Roon ARC seems to work correctly, or at least without any crash at the moment.
On all the other devices Roon Clients keep working perfectly as usual.

Any suggestion on how to try to fix this issue?
I’m available to do some specific test or collecting additional information that might be helpful.

Best Regards
Paolo

Roon Server Machine

Mele Quieter3C Mini PC - Celeron N5105 16GB RAM 512GB SSD
Ubuntu Linux 23.04 Server

Connection to the network via GB Ethernet cabled network using D-Link and Linksysy unmanaged switches

Connected Audio Devices

Ropiie Raspberry PI with Audioquest Dragonfly Red connected to Denon PMA-655R Amplifier

48104 Tracks

Description of Issue

I was mostly streaming from Roon Server to:

• iPhone 14 Pro Max updated to the latest available IOS version
  • Samsung S10+ (SM-G975F/DS) with OneUI 4.1 (Android 12)

I’ve bought a new phone to replace the Samsung S10+, specifically a Samsung S24 Ultra 1TB (SM-S928B/DS) with OneUI 6.1 (Android 14)
After migrating settings and apps to the new phone I saw that Roon keeps constantly crashing.
I launch Roon, it loads and connects to server.
Once it starts updating the home page after a few seconds the app crashes and drops back to the phone home screen. Only once I could manage to have it running long enough to be able to enable the phone as a new Audio Zone.

I’ve already tried:

• Cleaning the cache of Roon app from settings
  • Cleaning all the data of Roon app from settings
  • Uninstalling and re-installing Roon app

Nothing has solved the issue.
On the same phone Roon ARC seems to work correctly, or at least without any crash at the moment.
On all the other devices Roon Clients keep working perfectly as usual.

Any suggestion on how to try to fix this issue?
I’m available to do some specific test or collecting additional information that might be helpful.

Best Regards
Paolo

This seems to be an issue specifically with the S24. See this thread:

The Support team are aware of it.

1 Like

I have got my S24 ultra today and have the same issue…

1 Like

Same here :frowning:

1 Like

also here …

When I open app from shortcut on home screen it crashes. Launch from app drawer and it works fine.

@connor maybe this is some hint to find the solution?

1 Like

Hi everyone,

The S24 Ultra is not officially released yet. Are these pre-ordered devices that have arrived early?

If you’re experiencing this crash, please, at your convenience and availability, follow the instructions I shared with @Aleksander_Hjortnaes to upload ADB logs:

Connect your PC to Android phone and install ADB (instructions are here (all platforms)). Then:

1. Type adb shell in terminal
  2. Type logcat v (ref: Logcat command-line tool | Android Studio | Android Developers)
  3. Reproduce the problem and let terminal print logs for 3-5 more seconds
  4. Select output from the moment you started the reproduction of the bug till the very end
  5. Upload the log here and let us know once you have done so:

Upload here

In Belgium available in stock

Are any S24 Roon Remote users encountering this symptom using the Roon Remote APK instead of the Play Store download?

It still crashes for me when using the APK

Android One UI: 6.1
Android OS: 14
Roon downloaded from Playstore
The S24 is publicly available

Same problem

So other Androids running One UI 6.1 don’t have this issue?

Wow! Good job. It works from there for me as well. Thanks!

1 Like

Have installed from APK now as well. Still crashing but only If opened from the shortcut on start Screen.

When I start the app from App Drawer, it works fine. Very weird. Will use this as workaround for now.

If you enable developer options
How do I turn on the Developer Options menu on my Samsung Galaxy device?
1 Go to “Settings”
2 Tap “About device” or “About phone”
3 Tap “Software information”
4 Tap “Build number” quickly seven times.
5 Enter your pattern, PIN or password to enable the Developer options menu.

then go to Developer Options Graphics Driver, then change Roon from using Default to System Graphics Driver it doesn’t crash anymore - Well it doesn’t on mine :slight_smile:

8 Likes