Roon remotes lose connection to Core

Hi @DanMtsn,

Thanks for opening the app, I can confirm that the logs have been delivered. Looking over your Core + iPad logs, I’m seeing a common pattern. Here are a few examples of issues I’m seeing:

07/09 14:42:09 Trace: [rnet/RnetJsonClient] SENT {"request":"enumerate_devices","subscription_id":"0"}
07/09 14:42:09 Trace: [raatserver] [RaatServer iPhone @ 192.168.0.24:63350] lost client connection. Retrying
07/09 14:42:09 Trace: [raatserver] [RaatServer iPhone @ 192.168.0.24:63350] connecting (attempt 1)
07/09 14:42:09 Trace: [raatserver] [RaatServer iPhone @ 192.168.0.24:63350] connected
07/09 14:42:09 Trace: [rnet/RnetJsonClient] SENT {"request":"enumerate_devices","subscription_id":"0"}
07/09 14:42:09 Trace: [raatserver] [RaatServer iPhone @ 192.168.0.24:63350] lost client connection. Retrying
07/09 14:42:09 Trace: [raatserver] [RaatServer iPhone @ 192.168.0.24:63350] connecting (attempt 1)
07/09 14:42:10 Trace: [raatserver] [RaatServer iPhone @ 192.168.0.24:63350] connected
07/09 14:42:10 Trace: [rnet/RnetJsonClient] SENT {"request":"enumerate_devices","subscription_id":"0"}
07/09 14:42:10 Trace: [raatserver] [RaatServer iPhone @ 192.168.0.24:63350] lost client connection. Retrying
07/09 14:42:10 Trace: [raatserver] [RaatServer iPhone @ 192.168.0.24:63350] connecting (attempt 1)
07/09 14:42:10 Trace: [raatserver] [RaatServer iPhone @ 192.168.0.24:63350] connected
07/09 14:42:10 Trace: [rnet/RnetJsonClient] SENT {"request":"enumerate_devices","subscription_id":"0"}
07/09 14:42:10 Trace: [raatserver] [RaatServer iPhone @ 192.168.0.24:63350] lost client connection. Retrying
07/09 14:42:10 Trace: [raatserver] [RaatServer iPhone @ 192.168.0.24:63350] connecting (attempt 1)

As for the iPad issue, I noticed a network timeout at 12:07 on Friday, July the 10th, and the iPad app was immediately restarted at 12:08.

07/10 12:06:53 Warn: [RAATServer] [RAAT::iPad] [server] client timed out after 11539ms (timeout=10000)

I suspect that this router is at least partly the source of the issue, as we have often seen ISP-provided gear have poor performance in Roon (as mentioned in our Networking Best Practices Guide).

My suggestion would be to use a non ISP-provided router and have the combo unit just in “Modem Only” mode (also called Bridge Mode) and see if that helps with the issues you’re having.

1 Like

I don’t have your problem. I primarily use an iPad 2 as a remote, but an iphone 6 occasionally. It drops out sometimes but not very often. Perhaps the problem is a wi-fi dead spot in the area you are sitting. You can try moving your router to a new position or try the remote in different locations around the house to determine if this is the problem. Also, try removing the Roon app from your device and reload it from the app store.

You are not the only one who has had these problems. I reported similar issues, with drop outs, random skipped tracks and drops in core connection. I did a comparison with Plex and saw none of these issues. Many here blamed my network. In the end, I discovered it was the speed of my storage. I used a faster USB drive and all these Roon issues went away.

I actually discovered Plex after Roon. For a third of the cost, I can also use it remotely. Sad to say, I would need some serious justification to renew my Roon sub too.

I’ve run in to a snag on my Unifi network with Roon. Having IGMP snooping on which is recommended for any multicast situation and what Unifi say to use for managing Chromecasts, slows or stops Roon from seeing my Chromecasts. Google Home sees them, bubbleupnp sees them, Tidal and Spotify see them but not Roon. Disable IGMP snooping Roon finds them instantly. So not sure why it’s not advertising as the same multicast group as Chromecasts I guess or something is getting lost .

I don’t know for sure, but there’s some weird Roon-involved interaction between (some?) IGMP snooping settings and some devices, for example Android phones. When I had that problem, with a managed Netgear switch and Android phones, several years ago, I worked with the Roon crew to debug it, even letting them into my home network, but even with detailed packet tracing, they were not able to figure out the problem. As soon as I turned IGMP snooping off on the Netgear switch, the problem disappeared for good. I just found this recommendation to turn off IGMP snooping for Ubiquiti and Chromecasts. It’s actually very interesting because it fits (replace Chromecast with Android…) what I observed back when: “Chromecasts are discovered with broadcasts. Some IGMP snoop algorithms disable broadcasts after a few minutes of a device being connected, making the Chromecast continue to work except that clients can’t discover it.”

It does not happen only here, it happens in several fora. I could say I think it is ridiculous but it is really irritating. If someone at X forum says they are experiencing a problem with X half of the people (or more) will start saying that the problem is not due to X and that the OP should change its model/brand/software/network/house/city instead of paying attention to what the OP said. (it is also true that there are many forum members that truly listen to and try to effectively help the OP, but I wonder if they are not a minority.)

Yes, I experience the same problem with Roon. My iPad Pro 11" 1st gen loses connection to Roon frequently. The MacBook Pro that runs Roon Core is hardwired to a nice Linksys router and the iPad sits at six meters from the route (there is a wall between them but it is not covered in lead). I never experience such a problem with any other software. (I have never experienced a Roon crash either in the server or the iPad btw.)

Paraphrasing Radiohead’s music, if you are not seeing that doesn’t mean it’s not there. But let’s praise the helpful people around, sincerely.

This seems to be THE problem for many/most Roon issues. Start looking around for a better app to handle your music. Good luck to you.

I really appreciate the input of so many people, but for the umpteenth time, I am not complaining about music streaming via wifi. I really wish people would read before jumping in with advice.

@noris
Thank you for your reply.
Honestly it is a bit underwhelming.
I am not sure what to understand from the logs you attached other than indeed there are dropouts. Do they say anything about the cause of the dropouts? If they do I am not sure how to read it.
Also I see no input about the disappearing control strip, any news on that?
Regarding the router, I find this advice a bit strange. How can this general assumption be true - any router provided by an ISP is bad? What if I go and buy the exact same model, would it then work perfectly since now it’s not provided by the ISP? Equally absurd - ANY non-ISP provided router would work? I mean, come on, can you be a little more specific? I cannot just start buying and testing random routers with the only criteria that it is not provided by my ISP. Can you provide a feature list for a recommended router, etc.

Well the routers provided by an SP are always going to be cheap and cheerful, with very limited options and configuration, and so a great many people go buy a 3rd party replacement. If this were not the case, then there would not be such a thriving marketplace with loads of different routers available for people with different needs and technical abilities.

Roon themselves are not going to recommend you a router, they can’t as this is potentially opening them up to a world of pain from non recommended companies and a probable unnecessary support load from people who buy them but can’t be bothered (or are simply unable) to learn to configure them for themselves.

Come on, to select yourself a replacement router, you need to do some research yourself, this can’t all be spoon-fed. However the likes of ASUS and NetGear produce some wonderful, reliable and flexible routers.

You could start a thread asking other Roon users what router they use, and how they rate them for reliability and stability with Roon. You could do a search of the Roon forum, and find out a lot about what routers people are using.

I have replaced my BT Smart Hub router (latest generation which is actually not a bad router, but has extremely limited configuration options and does not let me set up my home network as I wish) with an ASUS RT-AC5300 (no built-in Modem) running Merlin Firmware and it is easy to set up and completely reliable. I use a Draytek Vigor 130 modem to bridge the Router to the Internet connection. ASUS do excellent lower priced options than the RT-AC5300.

I hope this helps you on your journey.

1 Like

I was asking for a feature list, not a specific model. Thank you for your recommendations though

I doubt that other than MultiCast support, they will give you a feature list, but good luck with that. I await Roon support response with interest.

I does seem that when people try to help you, that you respond with some kind of negativeness, or correction = which is a bit off-putting.

So I will now bow out and wish you well.

A feature list is of little use - it’s the quality of implementation of networking features by the manufacturer that matters. Roon Labs has already given guidance on Networking Best Practices.

1 Like

It is definitely that something exceptionally odd at the OP’s wifi network!
This is the first time that I have ever heard of this particular issue.

the KB article says only this “a powerful 802.11ac router with a WiFi access point built-in”
I think my router already complies with that even though it is provided by my ISP. I read the KB, my network does not fit in any of the bad practice cases. Other than that they provide specific instructions for several router models.
If I come accross as negative, it’s because maybe I am a little. This really isn’t working for me, I am a paying customer and I don’t see good solutions yet. I cannot comb through the entire crop of routers available on the market hoping that I will get lucky with one.

*ok, so looking for a router. *
*the already suggested ASUS RT-AC5300 is 350EUR where I live… that’s a bit too much. I would pay 350EUR if it would solve other issues as well, but it’s not really the case yet. *

Can anyone share any thoughts about the lower priced ASUS RT-AC68U, full specs here https://www.asus.com/Networking/RTAC68U/

scrap that, I’m reading now the router recommendation threads, no need to post recommendations here as there are plenty in other threads. I am shocked at the prices…

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Android + Lenovo Connection Issue

A post was split to a new topic: Connection issues iOS + Android

Apropos of folks buying used Cisco 2960 switches on eBay — are you sure it’s not counterfeit? See https://labs.f-secure.com/publications/the-fake-cisco/ for the latest take.

probably this issue is about energy saving of your laptop: it’s enough to set network card of your laptop not to save energy