Roon reports a DB failure, attempting to restore a backup also fails

I am having the same issue. Roon reports a DB failure upon boot of PC. Roon requests a backup to restore. Point Roon to location of backup which says stable and proceed to do a restore. Restore fails. Across multiple backups. The backup directory is on a different drive from the music library which is on a different drive from where the Roon DB is housed. There is no way all 3 drives got corrupted concurrently.

PC is running Windows 10. Seems to function fine – I use it to stream video to my TV using Chrome and that works. I can play music on my library using iTunes. So it’s Roon that is corrupted (or thinks its corrupted).

I believe this is a Roon issue. Please advise on steps I should take to attempt to restore Roon. Thanks!

PC is running Windows 10

1 Like

Just to add – my instance is doing the same on restoring a backup – it gets to about 33% complete and then fails.

Looking forward to ideas to get Roon to run again.

Hi,

The Roon @support team prefer one topic per customer’s issue… so they are able to track it and focus on each individual problem. hence I split out your topic.

In order for Roon’s @support team to better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup and the nature of the issue using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so they have a clear understanding of how your devices are connected.

Hi again,

I’m not Roon, but I suspect the Roon database is corrupt and this may have happened sometime time.
B880 and onwards now checks for DB corruption (rather than having random failures) it also check for DB corruption before DB backup are made (which is important going forwards).

Do you recall when and what version of Roon was running when you made your latest backup?
I suspect it was pre B880, which was before these check were implemented.

All I can suggest is to attempt to restore from an old backup (before the DB was corrupted), if you don’t have one the only alternate is to start with a clean DB.

PS It important to be running the latest version of Roon (B884 at this time), if you’re unsure I would recommend going to the RoonLabs site, downloading it and performing a manual installation over the top of you existing install.

When I go to restore a backup, the last successful backup was yesterday. I am running whatever the most up to date version of Roon is (there were no updates pending – I usually implement them as soon as they are pushed).

I’m running a windows 10 AMD PC. The roon database is on a SSD, the music library on a SAS spinning platter drive, and the backups are on a third USB connected SAS drive.

I can not restore any backups successfully – they all seem to fail at about 33%.

I have about 2000 LP in my library and also stream Qobuz.

Just looked at my backups. They say Version 1.8 (Build 884) stable.

1 Like

Every restore seems to fail at 33%.

1 Like

Thanks for that extra info, in which case Roon would have validated the DB before creating the backup.

I’m out of ideas, I hope Roon’s @support can help you.

1 Like

Hey @Joel_Artzt,

Thanks a lot for letting us know of this issue: we’re extremely sorry.

I wonder, would you be able to copy the latest backup on the Windows 10 machine and try the restore from there?

Rebeka – not sure I follow. I haven’t changed the underlying operating system. The machine booted and revealed the DB corruption.

The backups were performed by Roon with the same OS.

I need help determining how to get the backup I have restored.

Hey @Joel_Artzt,

I may have failed to understand — please, correct me. Based on the quote below, my suggestion was to simply try copying the backup to a different drive/location and see if the restore succeeds.

Restore fails. Across multiple backups. The backup directory is on a different drive from the music library which is on a different drive from where the Roon DB is housed. There is no way all 3 drives got corrupted concurrently.

I’m looping in our team, so we can help up moving forward :nerd_face:

Hey @Joel_Artzt,

What would really help our team would be a set of logs.

Would you please:

• attempt to restore a backup
  • let the backup fail
  • immediately after, please, grab a set of logs
  • zip up the entire folder
  • upload it in our drive
  • please, let us know once you had a chance to upload it (unfortunately, we’re not being notified)

Thanks a million :pray:

I copied the backup folder from the external drive to the internal drive housing the database. I then tried to recover and it failed again. All of the backups have failed (about 9 over a month’s time). I scanned the drives and there reported no faults found. I’m not sure what else to do at this point. The backup folder was >7GB’s which surprised me.

Backup folder does not belong on the drive with the Roon database.

Files uploaded. Thanks.

Yes. On my set up the backup sits on an external USB drive. The support person asked me to copy the backup folder from the external drive onto the same drive as Roon and try to recover from that drive. I did that – it did not work.

If you mean a separate folder on your Windows 10 C:\ drive, that should be OK. I did the exact same thing earlier today and restored my Windows 10 Roon core.

1 Like

Hey @Jim_F,

That’s exactly what I meant. Thanks for putting it into words :pray:

1 Like

Hey @Joel_Artzt,

Thanks for the logs. We got them :pray:

And, what I meant when I said to move the backup to a different location was exactly what @Jim_F shared. Was that what you attempted?

In this thread, I posted that I copied the backup folder to the same drive on which the Roon database was housed and attempted to recover several backups. Unfortunately, none of them recover the database. I don’t understand how the app can write multiple backups over a month’s time (which appear to compete successfully but none of them work). I’m thinking there’s some simple step or process I can do that will make this work. I look forward to your analysis of the logs.