Roon seems to be very greedy with my bandwidth & system resources

Mines been in modem modem since I got it.

1 Like

So, given that the mesh system that was advocated near the top of this thread is probably overqualified for the job, as we’re not really talking “wi-fi” issues any more, is there a particular router or type of router that I should be looking at?

@Snowdog
Does your router allow for activating “Multicast” in the settings? I suppose that would solve the problem.
If I wouldn’t activate ‘Multicast’ in my (ASUS) router settings, the connection to the Roon Core would drop regularly, just like yours.

I’ve never knowingly accessed the settings on my router & wouldn’t have a clue how to do so. Neither do I know what “Multicast” is.

However, it’s entirely possible that unplugging everything from my router and plugging it in differently twice the other day may have caused some settings to change. I shall look into it. Thanks.

EDIT: Accessed the settings. Can’t find reference to Multicast anywhere. I’ll keep digging.

Maybe under LAN settings?

Not sure if the FAQ has been updated in awhile but have a read. The setting is called different things between manufacturers.

Thanks. No mention of Virgin Media routers there, sadly.

Is this your router?

Mine’s a hub 3. But that screen grab at the bottom is exactly what I found.

Unfortunately, the screen I log into have changed and look nothing like that. I shall log in again in a bit & get some screenshots of what I’m seeing. I’ve looked in all the sections and cannot find what you’re describing, (Multicast or LAN) but maybe I’m not looking right!

Okay, so we may have to do this the long way, as I’ll be here all week taking screenshots of every single page but, on the basis that I’ve looked through every page in this list & there is no specific mention of Multicast or LAN on any of them, where would you be looking for the Virgin Media equivalent? (I have seen mDNS come up when I’ve searched for multicast but I can’t find that in my settings either.)

This is what the home page looks like before I go into the advanced settings above:

Just feel that I didn’t respond to this specifically enough, so…

I’m not sure that it’s actually the switch that’s slowing things down but the router.

To go back to my original description of the first set-up I tried, my specific question was this:

If I stick all the ethernet connectors in the switch & have one single ethernet cable going back to the router, will that be putting an extraordinary load on that one connection in the router, given that it’s now trying to sort all that data from 6 ports on the switch?

Because that seems to be what I experienced. Things like Netflix & Prime because very slow to load and as soon as I switched those connections back to separate ports on the router, that problem went away.

@Snowdog
I feel sorry, but I can only tell you what was suggested to you in this thread several times before:

I’d put that device in bridge mode as well and look for a decent router. It doesn’t even have to be expensive, you could find something on the used market.

That’s because I did a quick search for your device here in the community.
I want to encourage you to read through it completely and consider the following:

Given all of the above, just to summarise where I’m at now…

The only things in the switch are the ethernet from this laptop which is running this browser and my Roon core and the ethernet going out of the switch into my Raspberry Pi.

(Plus, of course, the connection out to my router.)

Everything is working fine except this browser, which can stall at times & be like sh*t off a shovel at other times. At first I felt like it was being held up by the ultra-greedy Roon core connection, because it’s all running through the same cable, but I noticed it’s like that even when Roon isn’t running, so I think I might need to troubleshoot the browser as a separate issue, unrelated to all your other advice.

So, the thing I still need help with is solely the “waiting for Roon Core” issue, which is using my app on my phone connected to the router via wi-fi, as outlined a few posts up.

It may simply be that the answer to @Axel_Lesch’s question “Does your router allow for activating “Multicast” in the settings?” is “no”, but I shall reserve judgement until I get some responses to my screenshots above concerning my router settings.

After that, it’s a new router, because this really has made the app unusable.

What’s under the firewall settings? :slight_smile:

Well that’s disappointing :wink: , will check mine out when I’m home tomorrow

1 Like

Yes, I was going to add a comment but I feel the disappointment of the screenshot spoke for itself.

1 Like

@Snowdog
A quick VM search revealed that you’re not the only one having network issues. Virgin Hub’s Wifi apparently is really poor.

If you have some free time like me on Sunday, you could read through the following discussion on the best way to troubleshoot connectivity issues caused by VM Hub 3. Router recommendations and a description of the bridge mode set up.

In my experience it was a good modem and a poor router. Mine lasted about a day before it went into modem mode.

I have a number of neighbors who use them without issue but they are running basic services only and a limited number of devices around the house.

The new Google WiFi (with 6Gz) look good and I was supposed to be at sisters house setting them up for her today, but sadly Covid has cancelled that.