Roon Server Crashes on Mac Mini

Hello @support,

My Roon application has been crashing periodically. Presently I cannot cause it to crash so I do not what the issue is. It simply crashes intermittently. Some thoughts:

• I was having issues playing a song that was no longer in the Tidal library but still in a playlist. The Roon iPad app would lose control of the core when the unavailable track was asked to play. I have since deleted this song from the playlist however the crashing issue with Roon core on the macMini has not resolved. Perhaps these are unrelated.

• I have seen the “lost control of transport device” error message preceding the aforementioned loss of control over the core from the iPad app

• Is it possible grouping multiple SONOS devices together is causing this issue. Especially if one of the members of the group is a Play:5 connected wirelessly and all the others are ethernet connected SONOS:Connect?

Here is my configuration:

macMini
OS 10.8.5
2 GHz Intel Core i7 Processor
4GB 1333MHz DDR3 RAM
2x 500GB SATA HDDs

Roon
Version 1.3 (build 262)
S/N 8DEB5448-6448-426C-B8D8-4FCF76451EA9
Synology NAS
Synology RS815 - S/N 1580N1N255800
4x WD Red Pro 3.5” 2TB NAS Drives
RAID 10 Configuration - Identical Copies of Data on Separate Drive
Approx. 14,000 Songs

Network
Ubiquiti UniFi US‑48‑500W Managed Switch
macMini, Synology NAS, and SONOS Connects are Wired Ethernet
SONOS Play:5 is Wireless

I have two Mac OS crash reports I can provide as .txt files. I am also happy to provide additional details and logs as needed.

Thank you in advance,

Benjamin

@support Haven’t heard back yet. Kindly take a look at my question; thank you.

Hi @Benjamin_Leeds ---- Thank you for the very detailed report and my sincere apologies for the wait here.

Moving froward, I would like to get a set of your Roon logs and the mentioned OSX crash reports over to our techs for analysis. May I very kindly ask you to please use the instructions found here to send us over a set of logs from the device hosting your core.

-Eric

Note: Please also include the OSX crash report in the upload package.

Hi @Eric,

Please find the requested logs here: Logs

Thank you!

Benjamin

Hi @Benjamin_Leeds ---- Thank you for touching base with me! Confirming that the logs have been received and are currently in our queue ti be evaluated by a member of our tech team.

Once my report has been updated and passed back, I will be sure to share the team’s thoughts/findings with you asap. In the mean time, I would like to gather a bit more information from you in regard to this behavior you are experiencing with the MacMini hosting RoonServer. Please see below.

• I know you had mentioned in your initial report that this crashing you are experiencing seems to be intermittent, but if you could provide any insight into the frequency as to when this is occurring, it would be very appreciated! Some things to consider…

• When RoonServer does crash are you by chance, playing the same file format/bit rate each time it occurs?

• Are the mentioned Sonos device your only endpoints? You had asked if I thought that this could be occurring because one of the devices is making use of wireless connection while the others are using a hardwired connection. This seems unlikely to be the culprit here.

• My assumption is that things were stable at one point. Have there been any changes or anything to your setup prior to noticing this issue?

-Eric

Hi Eric,

Hope you had a great weekend.

I am not certain if the same file format / bit rate was being played for each crash. However on the most recent crash our customer was unable to play at least 2 tracks in TIDAL FLAC 16/144kHz.

There are 4 Sonos Connect, 1 Sonos Playbar, 1 Sonos Play:5, and 1 AURALiC Aries in the system. All are wired with the exception of the Sonos Play:5.

To my knowledge there have been no configuration changes that seem directly linked to this problem. The problem does occur significantly more frequently when two or more zones are linked. Although, as you said it is likely not the wireless Sonos causing the problem as it has now happened when the wireless Sonos was not in use.

Looking forward to hearing what your team has to say about the logs. And I believe with Build 269 you can now access the logs directly. Let me know if there’s anything I need to do on my end to enable that.

Thank you,

Benjamin

Hi @Eric,

We have a service call scheduled for this system tomorrow. Is it possible to see your team’s analysis of the log files before then?

Thank you kindly,

Benjamin

Hi @Benjamin_Leeds ---- Thank you for touching base with me and my apologies for the slow response.

I noticed that your ticket was still in our queue this afternoon and placed a feedback request with our techs to try and expedite the process. The team has since passed the ticket back after having completed their analysis of the traces in the provided logs.

Moving froward, the team has noted that they are seeing a few unmanaged crashes in the logs, 3 within a 60 day run to be exact. We also presented the OSX crash report to one of our senior developers who did a quick eval of the report and notified us that there was nothing in the traces that was pointing to the “cause” of the issue.

Being as these crashes are occurring intermittently, the only way we can truly understand why this is happening is if the issue can be readily reproduced. Given the sporadic nature of this behavior we would need to have a few instances of when this has occurred in the logs and in light of this I would recommend the following:

• Keep track of when these crashes are occurring (i.e noting the day/time).

• After a crash occurs make a copy of the logs from that “run” of the application using the instructions listed below.

• Open Finder and click Go in the top bar.
    • Hold down the Alt key to unhide the Library folder
    • Click the Library folder
    • Find and open the Roon folder (or RoonServer, if applicable)
    • Right click Logs, then ‘Compress Logs’
    • Name the compressed logs folder with the date and time when the crash occurred.
    • Once the crash has been recorded in the logs 5 times, send us over the zip files.

Lastly, I also noticed that there is a managed switch (i.e Ubiquiti UniFi US‑48‑500W) in the user’s network configuration. We have seen a few performance related issues crop up with these devices in the past ( Example: #1, #2, #3 #4). I would recommend enabling flow control on the switch, as we have seen it help other users.

-Eric

Hello @Eric ,

We did notice several crashes in a row on Friday October 27, 2017. Do you now have the ability to retrieve logs remotely? I saw that in the changelog for a recent version. Thank you for the insight into the managed switch. I will investigate that as well.

Benjamin

Hi @Benjamin_Leeds ---- Thank you for touching base with me, good to hear from you.

We have the ability now to enable diagnostics on a user’s accounts which will generate/upload a report containing up to date log files to our servers. The user’s core machine must be online for this action to take place once we have enabled this feature.

I will need your client’s Roon username and e-mail (the one associated with their Roon account) in order retrieve the mentioned diagnostics report. You can PM me this information to keep their info confidential.

-Eric