Roon Server Crashing (ROCK)

Roon Version: Version 1.5 (build 334)
OS that Music Library is on: Windows 10: 64 Bit
Hard Drive music Library is on: External WD Passport Drive (3 TB) attached via USB 3
Computer Music library is on: Home built, 16 GD RAM, OS on SSD, CPU Intel Core i5 8400 @ 2.8 GHz
Collection size: ~70,000 tracks

Issue Description:

I built up a NUC with ROCK on it a couple of months ago. This was a move from a Windows 10 machine and an attempt to get enhanced stability. (Please note that the Windows machine suffered a hardware failure and is no longer on my network.)

Since building up the NUC/ROCK I have had regular, continual losses of connection to the roon server and crashes of the server. I will typically be able to listen for around an hour before I lose connection. Then the roon server goes down. At this point I have to re-boot the NUC. Normally there are no issues such as stuttering or other odd behavior. Normally everything seems to be perfect up to the point I lose the connection.

The roon server is a ROCK on a NUC. The MP3 and FLAC files are stored on an external drive attached to a Windows 10 PC. The PC and the NUC are connected to a network switch which connects to my router. I have wired connections (ethernet) to an Oppo UDP-205 and a Yamaha Receiver RX-A3070 (HDMI). These ethernet connections are also to the same switch. I checked the router and actually reset it to the factory defaults. That did not seem to make any difference.

I have wireless connectivity with the previously mentioned Yamaha and another Yamaha in the bedroom. I normally use a Surface for control but sometimes I have used an Android phone. I decided to reinstall the Roon OS to the ROCK but that did not seem to affect the problem at all. The only other strange behavior is when I check on the ROCK via the local internet I sometimes get a missing codecs message. Sometimes rebooting the roon server clears the message but other times I have to reboot the whole NUC.

Any suggestions on trouble shooting would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hello @Allan_Thornton,

Thanks for contacting support, and my deepest apologies that you seem to be having issues with your setup. I think the proper next step here would be to enable diagnostics mode on your account and I have done so just now. What this action will do is next time your ROCK is active, a set of logs will automatically be generated and uploaded to our servers for further analysis.

I kindly ask for you to attempt to reproduce this issue and let me know the exact local time in your country that the issue occurs at (ex. 12:30PM). After you have provided the timestamp, I can submit that diagnostic info for further analysis and see if Roon is outputting any errors at that time. Please let me know the above information when possible and we can continue from there.

Thanks,
Noris

Noris,

Server Crashed at 3:12 PM (eastern time). It had been up a little over an hour…

Thanks,

Allan

Is there a reason why the disk containing the music files can not be attached to the NUC, it may not resolve your issue but would simplify your layout?

I have experienced similar behaviour on a QNAP NAS: connection lost and the server crashes completely.

See QNAP crashes when airplay streaming to AppleTV and follow-up by @crieke https://community.roonlabs.com/t/crashing-qnap/45281.

Ratbert,

I’m using the PC to rip CDs directly to hard drive. I’m totally unfamiliar with Linux so I didn’t know how to transfer newly ripped files over. (Would the external drive be visible via windows or would it require some some settings changes in Linux?) Before I figured that out I thought I would contact tech support. I’m hoping that the log files yield some relevant info.

Plus there is something wrong with something on my network. I’d like to get that resolved (or the root cause identified) before I do a work around.

I’m not against a direct connection to the NUC in theory - I’m just not there yet.

Thanks,

Allan

No problems, I have a NUC with my library connected to it on USB drives, I use a Mac to rip cd’s and Rock shows up in network devices, on Windows 10 you will need to enable SMBv1 which is very easy to do, when you are ready to move the disk(s) just post for advice.

Ratbert,

Thanks - I’ll do that!

Allan

Hello @Allan_Thornton,

Our servers seem to be experiencing an issue receiving the diagnostic info from your device. Can I please ask you to manually send them to us using this link as a guide? You can also upload those logs to our uploader service, I will PM you instructions shortly on how to do so. Appreciate it!

Thanks,
Noris

Hello @Allan_Thornton,

I have just received the initial report back from our QA team. They have asked for some clarification on a few points and have provided some troubleshooting suggestions. They are as follows:

• What happens to the NUC immediately after the crash? Are you able to access the WebUI or does that not seem to work either? You can access the WebUI by typing the IP address of the ROCK in your web browser.
  • Can you please try disabling your watched folders and attempt to playback only TIDAL content for a period of time (possibly a day) and see if the crashing still occurs? This will help us identify if there is any Local Media that could be causing issues here.
  • Can you please try temporarily disabling your WiFi Adapter on the NUC if possible and leave only Ethernet?
  • Can you please provide more information on your home built NUC, please list all the components that you have installed in it?
  • One other suggestion would be to create a backup of you library and then attempt using a fresh DB to see if the issue still occurs.

Please let me know your findings when possible.

Thanks,
Noris

Noris,

Some background info is below…

What happens to the NUC immediately after the crash? Are you able to access the WebUI or does that not seem to work either?

The WebUI is normally accessable. The OS is running, the database and settings are okay. Roon server is not running. If I try to restart the roon server it may restart and immediately crash again, not restart, or crash the webui (or Nuc). When I do a hard reboot of the NUC, everything comes back up and appears to work okay.

Can you please try disabling your watched folders and attempt to playback only TIDAL content for a period of time (possibly a day) and see if the crashing still occurs? This will help us identify if there is any Local Media that could be causing issues here.

I don’t have TIDAL. Sorry.

Can you please try temporarily disabling your WiFi Adapter on the NUC if possible and leave only Ethernet?

I don’t use the wifi adapter on the NUC. I am hardwired in via ethernet. I went into the bios today and turned the wireless adapter off. I’ll let you know if anything changes.

Can you please provide more information on your home built NUC, please list all the components that you have installed in it?

The NUC is an Intel NUC Kit NUC7i7BNH. 8GB RAM, 64 GB SSD for boot. Roon is the only thing installed.

One other suggestion would be to create a backup of you library and then attempt using a fresh DB to see if the issue still occurs.

I’ll try this later this weekend.

Please let me know your findings when possible.

Will do.

Thanks,
Noris

Hello @Allan_Thornton,

Thank you for proving answers to the questions, I have let the QA team know your responses and have added them as a note in your case. Please let me know how your setup works after trying a fresh DB.

Thanks,
Noris

Noris,

I reset the database and that has not seemed to have any impact.

Allan

Hello @Allan_Thornton,

Thank you for letting me know that you reset the database and it has not yielded any change. Just to confirm, you performed this action through the WebUI?

Can I please ask you to power the ROCK on and leave it running so that we can receive a new diagnostics report from it for analysis? I have noticed that the ROCK lost connection to our servers 3 days ago and has not been active since.

Thanks,
Noris

noris,

Yes, the reset was performed via the web ui.

I’ll restart the server now. It seems that it does not want to stay up very long…

Thanks,

Allan

Hello @Allan_Thornton,

Thanks for letting me know, just to confirm a few questions:

• You have reset your database and have not restored from a backup or anything and the machine is still not staying on?
  • There is nothing in your watched folders after performing the reset, correct?
  • Where is the ROCK physically located? Does it have enough airflow as to not overheat?
  • How long is the ROCK staying powered on for now? A few minutes, an hour? I ask because the ROCK still has not sent any new diagnostics to our servers for analysis and I am not sure as to why.

Please let me know when possible.

Thanks,
Noris

Noris:

You have reset your database and have not restored from a backup or anything and the machine is still not staying on? Correct

There is nothing in your watched folders after performing the reset, correct?
Correct, when I go to the watched folders via Settings, Roon is in the process of importing the files there

Where is the ROCK physically located? Does it have enough airflow as to not overheat?
As far as I can tell the NUC is not overheating. The WebUI sayes the operating system is “OK” The database is OK. Only the server software appears to be malfunctioning. If I do a hard reboot, the operating system immediately comes back and the roon server is good for another 45 minutes to an hour. If the system were over heating I would expect the reboot to fail or almost immediately crash.

How long is the ROCK staying powered on for now? A few minutes, an hour? I ask because the ROCK still has not sent any new diagnostics to our servers for analysis and I am not sure as to why.

The operating system seems to be staying on without issue (according to the webUI). If the diagnostics are dependent on roon server being functional, I have not been home much for the past week and when I check roon the server is always down. After a reboot, the server is normally good for 45 minutes to an hour. I have seen server crashes within 30 minutes but I think that only has happened once.

I am going to be on the road a lot for the next three weeks so I won’t have access to my system much. I did a database reset again this evening and the system has been playing for about 40 minutes so far. I’ll be out this weekend but should be in on the weekends for most of the time after that.

thanks for looking into this. If we continue to have problems and you cannot access the ROCK/NUC. I would not have a problem moving my core to one of the windows machines in my house. So please let me know if you think we are out of options on the ROCK. I don’t want to waste your time or mine.

thanks again,

Allan

Hello @Allan_Thornton,

Thank you for taking the time to answer those questions. I have forwarded your findings to the QA team who is reviewing your case. I can also confirm that the newest diagnostic info has successfully reached our servers after your latest server reboot. I will let you know once QA has completed their report and has passed it back to me.

Also, thanks for letting me know that you will be travelling, we will try to get some next steps for you for when you are available over the weekend and will save that solution of moving to a Windows Core as a last resort but try to identify the issue with your ROCK setup before going down that route. I will be sure to update you once I have more information to share.

Thanks,
Noris

Hello @Allan_Thornton,

Sorry about the slight delay in getting back to you here. I have submitted the newest diagnostics to QA and they have said that it doesn’t seem that you have cleared your database on the ROCK properly before attempting the above test.

They are still seeing traces of the old database present in the ROCK and would like to confirm if the issue still exists after a fresh database reset, with no watched folders and using only TIDAL content. If you have a chance to run that test, can you please let me know your results?

Thanks,
Noris

Noris,

It will be about a week before i get back home. i’ll try another reset when i stop travelling.

Thanks,
Allan