Roon Server performance degradation over time

I guess we need more info here:

• What are the specs of the machine where RoonServer is running ?
  • What output are you playing to? How it is connected to the Mac Mini (USB, S/PDIF, over Network: WiFi, Ethernet, etc)?
  • How big is you library?

Thanks

I thought I was the only one having this problem so here it goes:

Specs - In a container running Ubuntu 16 with SmartOS bare metal. Server is Intel Avoton 8 core, 32 GB memory. Alloted 2048 Mb memory and it still have lots of memory and CPU to spare.

Output - Usually start-up issues. The first time I use it for the day, Roon takes a very long time to start showing the database. Is it as if the server wakes up from sleep (server is running 24/7 and not sleep timers are on). Sometimes it hangs so I have tho re-start the server (the VPS, that is).

Library Size - About 12k songs

Give the container 8GB, won’t solve the slowdown but may well address some performance lags.

Hi @vova,

This topic seems similar to me, and the specs of my system are already mentioned there:

Hope to see this being solved soon.
Keep up the good work!

Cheers
NOA

Hey guys - @vova and I are running some tests here to see if we can confirm a connection between uptime and performance on Linux.

Just keep in mind that with a library of any reasonable size, if you’re running Roon on a system below our recommended specs, performance will be impacted.

We’ll report back as our testing proceeds, and if we can find something reproducible here, we’ll get it resolved. Thanks for the reports all!

Hi @mike and @vova,

Here are the specs of my PC, well above the recommendation. And keep in mind that my NAS Synology 1813+ 4GB RAM does not perform slower than this PC when running RoonServer.

Sluggish and bad search performance appeared at least since Build 142 on both machines, so for sure not a hardware specs problem.

So far 10 days in a row and so far so good. The first time it happened to my system was at about the two week mark. Then again after 24 hours.

Are you doing much iro adding albums, editing metadata etc. or only pressing play when the urge strikes?

The last ten 10 days, just pressing play.

I’m always adding/ editing, moving albums around forcing rescans, playing etc. An alpha release two days ago had me restart Roon Server yesterday morning. I could see the rescan counter crawling along. A restart of Roon kicked it straight back to high gear.

I don’t have an alpha release of Roon.

I notice significant performance degradation of Roon Server on Arch Linux.
I observe that over days memory consumption is increasing even if Roon Server is not used to play music.
Response of roon frontend on any client becomes tremendously slow.
When you SSH into Arch Linux even the system is not responsive anymore.
See below memory consumption of 5.1G

Recent kernel?

Kernel = 4.5.4-1 on x86_64 architecure

And this is my mem consumption 8 hours later without doing anything on Roon.

Strange, whilst mine has on occasion become sluggish I don’t think I’m seeing the same re memory usage, will check when I get home tonight. Also running Arch 64, but latest Alpha release.

I use HTOP to analyze. What strikes me is that several Roon apps are multiple times active. See below.

RoonAppliance.exe = 34 times
RAATServer.exe = 10 times
Roonserver.exe = 9 times

After rebooting just now. Mem consumption is low again.
Number of times RoonAppliance.exe is loaded into memory = 29 times.
I increases sometimes and goes down again. When I start Roon om my phone connected to this server the number of RoonAppliance.exe PIDs increases to 34 again.
Memory usage is only 378MB.
I’ll go to work soon and will look at it when I’m back again.

Well you must have kind of similar experience. You memory is almost fully utilized.
Mine after coming back from work is on 8GB now out of the available 12GB. And again…no active usage of Roon by user. So when the system practically idols besides maybe some routine updates the system definitely consumes excessive amount of memory.