Roon Server Software "Not Running"

Roon Core Machine

Roon Nucleus RevB
Software: Version 1.0 (build 12) stable.
Roon Server Software: NOT RUNNING
Storage: 2000GB, Samsung SSD 860

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Router: Unifi USG Security Gateway
Switch: UniFi Switch 8-60W

Connected Audio Devices

N/A

Number of Tracks in Library

N/A

Description of Issue

Roon Server Software isnt Running. Tried mutiple Starts, Reboots, OS Reinstall button and even a Reset but nothing gets the Server Software state to OK.

Please advice.

Best regards.
Ronny.

Check out recent threads about this. You may be suffering from this problem that needs Roonserver to be downloaded again from the Roon site.

The Operating System build 227 is also not up to date - though it probably does not matter very much, it may be a symptom of a deeper problem. The current one is 258:

As the OS is out of date and the server not running, and you already tried the Reinstall button which usually fixes everything, not sure what is going on. What happens after you click Reinstall?

I see that you are using a static IP on the Nucleus. I won’t ask why, but ensure that the IP is correct and not used by another device on the network - you router may have assigned it to something else if you didn’t reserve this IP.

For a Nucleus?

That issue is for the Windows version of Roon Server - this issue is with a Nucleus. Different issues…

Hi.

Thanks for lending a hand.

Just to make sure the Static IP wasnt the issue Ă­ switched over to Dynamic and ran the reinstall again with no change. It just sais Sucessfully reinstalled system but its still on 227 for some reason.

Dont realy know where to go from here? Anything else i can try?

Best regards
Ronny

Very weird. Sorry, no idea. @benjamin ?

1 Like

Hey @Ronny_Griip,

Thanks for writing in! I do see your Nucleus is on a much older build - 1128. Let’s refresh your Roon database as a next step:

• Create a Backup of your current Roon Database
  • Stop RoonServer from running in Nucleus’s WebUI
  • Navigate to your Nucleus’ Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RoonServer”
  • Rename the “RoonServer” folder to “RoonServer_old”
  • See if you can restart the RoonServer in the WebUI to generate a new Database
  • On the Roon Remotes, press “Use another Core” and connect to the new database

I’ll be on standby for your reply. :+1:

Hi @benjamin

Thanks for the reply.

I think i have a backup already (cant take a new one now as the server wont start)
I renamed the folder:

Then pressed restart:
Roon_restart
It didnt change anything tho and the server is still “not running”.
Tried to restart it again and got this:
roon_restart_error
After that i tried a third and forth time and got the first “restart sucessfull” message.
Still no change and no new folder on the device.

Whats the next step?

Best regards.
Ronny

Hey @Ronny_Griip,

Thanks for giving that a try! Do you have two Nucleues? Indeed it’s odd that reinstalling the RoonOS led to your device running an older version. If you haven’t I would give the Nucleus a hard Reboot and perform another OS reinstall to see if that may correct things.

If the above doesn’t help, I would also try to perform a restore from your most recent backup.

Here is more information on how to do this:

Thanks!

Hi @benjamin

I do have 2 Nucleues. One in Thailand and one in Stockholm. I just got back to Stockholm when this happend. Its the one here thats not working.

From what i can remember the first reinstall of the OS didnt down grade it, it just stayed at v.227.

I pulled the plug on the Nucleues and then tried the reinstall again with no change. It did something for about 5min then got the Success message.

How do i perform a restore? I cant get into the system to do one. Thanks in advance.

Best regards
Ronny

Hey @Ronny_Griip,

Thanks for giving that a try. To confirm, is the Nucleus hardwired via ethernet directly to your router? If you’re able to test out both another ethernet cable, as well as an ethernet port, then reboot both the router and Nucleus - that would be a good next step.

Pending this, we may need to consider re-installing ROCK on the device, and then remote flash the NucleusOS to the unit. We’d need to be able to see the Nucleus online to do this though, and currently, it’s showing that it hasn’t been online in 6 days.

Do you see the Nucleus under active devices on your network?

Hi @benjamin

I have now tried it with 2 different Ethernet Cables on different ports with the same result. Tried reinstall 3 times but no change. Rebooted the router and switches aswell. I can see the device on the network and changing the IP adress on it from DHCP to static works aswell.

Looks like we might need to go the ROCK way? Thanks in advance.

Best regards.
Ronny

Hey @Ronny_Griip,

Thanks for giving that a try! Ok, let’s get ROCK installed on the Nucleus. Please head to the link below and start on step #3 :

We have a detailed walkthrough from the article above, but definitely let me know if you run into any questions along the way. :+1:

Hi @benjamin

I was unable to create a booteble usb stick with the information in that guide. The guide “works” but the image i download and use dosnt create a booteble media. I tried it from 3 different computers and 4 different sticks.

After F10 and selecting USB as boot i get a fast black screen and then im back into Roon / Nucleus.

I even thought it might be unable to boot into a USB so i downloaded ubuntu and used Rufus on one of the usb sticks and that worked (booting the Nucleus into Ubuntu that is).

Is there another version of the restore image i can try with?

Best regards
Ronny.

Instead of etcher try using rufus.io to create the stick. Remember to make it bootable.

Hi,

I did. The last coupple of tires was with Rufus insted. I used Rufus to create the ubuntu boot stick just to verify that something worked.

If successfull should the ROCK stick be booteble on other systems?

Best regards.
Ronny.

Hi @Rugby and @benjamin

There isnt a specific option that i can find to “make it bootable”. What am I missing?

I can create a booteble windows / ubuntu USB etc but nothing works with the downloadeble image from the ROCK instructions page.

If i extract the .img file and try to use that directly in Rufus it even gives me the warning:

Looks like this in Linux Reader (it dosnt add a drive letter to windows)

usb_partition

Something i find odd also is that i cant “safe remove” it from windows if i create the ROCK image stick. It reads as “…” like something happens or gets stuck after the stick is created.

Any advice to get this moving would be highly appriciated.

From the instructions:

With Rufus the instructions also say to use the uncompressed img.gz:

and

@Suedkiez Thanks.

That is what i did the first coupple of tries. I only unpacked it after several tries to see if that would make a difference. From what i understand Rufuz just does that for you and thats when i thougt it was wierd that it gives the nonbooteble media warining. I have even tried Rufus 2.1 - 4.0 just to see if that was a issue but no.

Any other guess or tip i might try?

Best regards
Ronny