Roon skipping tracks since last week

Same problem here since last week. Not sure but probably after last 1.8 update. Nothing has changed in my setup or network. There is no pattern as far as I can see. My playlist can run smoothly for hours, and then suddenly there are some skips to the next track. When adding the “skipped” track to the waiting list again there is no issue in playback so I think it’s not related to certain tracks.

1 Like

Was hoping it was a temporary issue, but unfortunately the problem is still there :frowning:

1 Like

Hello @Roy_Borgman ,

So we can better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

Does the skipping only impact one zone or multiple zones?

A post was merged into an existing topic: Playback skips to next track

Sorry for the late reply Noris. Very busy with work, and therefore unfortunately no time to provide you with extra info at the moment. But the issue still occurs once in a while. I see there are more users who have a similar problem in the last few weeks. Seems like a pattern involving Tidal streams?

Hi @Roy_Borgman ,

Issues with a TIDAL stream skipping can sometimes be directly related to the environment that the Roon Core is located in. It can be a range of causes - temporary network outage, a device-specific issue, and without having more setup details it can be difficult to pinpoint where the issue is stemming from, if you are able to provide more details, that would be helpful, thanks!

OK Noris the issue still occurs (few times today, minutes ago actually) so here is the info you asked for:

• Details on your Core machine (OS, Hardware specs, Roon build)

iMac 27" 5K 2019 3GHz 6-core Intel Core i5, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, macOS Big Sur 11.2.3, ethernet connection to AirPort Extreme, Roon 1.8 (790)

• Details on your Remote(s) (OS, Hardware specs, Roon build)

MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, iPad Air 4, iPhone X (all on latest OS & updated, all wifi connected)

• Networking details (especially what hardware you’re using, how everything is connected, and anything notable about how it’s all configured)

Cable modem (Ziggo) connected with ethernet cables to AirPort Extreme (2) and Airport Express (1)

• Audio devices in use

Mostly playing audio through BeoVision Eclipse TV with (wired) Beolab speakers (Chromecast built-in, wired connection) but occasionally directly playing on the iMac Core through the system speakers while working (Roon playing right now, and had some skips in last few hours)

• Library details (where your music is stored, whether you’re using a streaming service, how many tracks are in your library)

CD library ripped in iTunes (located on iMac Core), Tidal HiFi, total 1200 albums, 13.000 songs (320 CD’s in iTunes library)

If you need additional information please let me know!

Forgot to mention: not using any multiple zones.

Hello @Roy_Borgman ,

Apologies for the delay! Our team’s queue is longer than typical at the moment, but we’re working to get back to everyone as quickly as we can.

Please be aware that we strongly suggest against using Apple Networking gear in a Roon setup, as we have often seen issues surrounding this kind of gear, as per our Networking Best Practices Guide:

Finally, we strongly recommend against using Apple network devices such as the Apple Airport Extreme and Airport Express (note: it’s fine to use the Airport Express as an Airplay device). To ensure the best performance, we recommend against using these devices.

Looking over your screenshot here, it appears that these skips are from TIDAL content. Can you please try to install the native TIDAL app on your iMac Core, set the Chromecast as the output, and verify if you are seeing any issues with TIDAL playback skips in the native TIDAL app? Thanks!

Hello @noris , I did some testing last week.

There were no skips streaming directly from the Tidal app.

I bypassed the AirPort Extreme and that went well for a few days. But this morning there was a skip in 1 Tidal song at 35% of the track (FLAC file, no MQA, no DSP, no multiple zones). The waiting list is filled by tracks with a certain tag (shuffled). After re-adding the track to the queue there was no skip (100%).

There is one part of the network I didn’t mentioned before (didn’t think of it before): there is a small tp-link switch between the Ziggo router (provider) and the Chromecast enabled TV along with some other connections. This had to be done because the router from the internet provider has not enough ports. The switch is fairly new (about two years old). Bypassing this part will be a bit of a hassle because the cables are not labeled. I will try to do this as soon as I have some time to figure it out this week.