System architecture comments: a tale of 3 systems

@Danny. Thank you for looking into this. It was not my intent to do “a disingenuous thing” and I am sorry if I did. But is it “a disingenuous thing” to try to make clear that there are tens of users experiencing playback issues? I honestly don’t think so.

Are most of the skips linked to either networking or under-spec’d hardware? I am sure some of them can be explained that way. But users with fast internet and hardwired connections to their core and endpoint plus decently spec’d hardware are experiencing the problem too.

Has none of this to do with Jim Hamilton’s question? Well, I can be mistaken, but it seems to me that skipping of tracks during playback is a perfect example of the problem that Jim states in his original post: “interrupted playback should not occur”.

I believe everyone would benefit if the recurring playback/skipping issue was treated as a problem that seems at least partially connected to Roon and that should therefore be addressed by the Roon team.

Just to try to draw your attention to the fact that users with a (seemingly) fine hardware configuration and network, experience the problem too, here are some examples:

Roon skipping tracks since last week This one experiences skipping with Tidal tracks and uses an Intel Core i5 with SSD and ethernet connections. He mentions that he does not use multiple zones.

Roon Radio stops or skips tracks This one reports skipping with Roon Radio and Tidal. He uses an Innuos Zen Mini Mk.3 and experiences it (among others) on a Naim Su-so 2nd gen endpoint connected via ethernet. Another user confirms having the same problem in the same thread.

Tracks Not Completing and Skipping To Next Track Here you will find 9 users experiencing the playback/skipping issue. The original poster uses an iMac Intel Core i5… but wifi. However, at least one of the users who report the same problem uses a 1Gb business grade internet and wired connections (Tracks Not Completing and Skipping To Next Track - #3 by Robert_Goodhope)

Occasionally Song abruptly stops and skips to next song A subscriber with a Sonictransporter as Rune core and ethernet connection to a Lumin T2 network player experiences songs abruptly stopping and going to the next song.

Playback skips to next track A subscriber experiencing glitches with playback (MacMini i7 core, ethernet connection to PS Audio DS Jr).

Titles Skipping constantly A subscriber with a Roon Nucleus and ethernet connection to Lumin U1 Mini & Bluesound Node 2i experiences skipping with Qobuz and Tidal tracks.

Etc… etc…

Maybe the basic thing to consider is:
Does Roon want to keep on repeating the mantra that if a user or tens of users experience glitches and skipping in playback… the problem is at the (nagging) user side of things?
Or does Roon want to solve the apparent problem using the subscribers and community posters who report the problem as allies who are more than willing to provide all the possible details in trying to help?

2 Likes