Roon stopped playing on HDMI system output to Marantz AVR, scrolls through tracks and plays nothing

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

HP Laptop Intel Icore5, 7th Gen, 1Tb SSD, 4Gb RAM, Win10 home
Roon build 1.7

Wifi, Output devices linked directly to Roon Core PC with HDMI and PC USB

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Classe CP800 preamp - PC USB connected to Roon core PC
Marantz SR6006 - HDMI connected to Roon core PC

Description of issue
Marantz connection has always worked since I bought Roon last year, stopped working around 2 weeks ago.
Problem: When selecting system output to Marantz-AVR (Intel®) Display Audio), Roon scrolls quickly through all tracks of an album or playlist and stops with message ‘Nothing playing’. If Speakers/Headphone (Realtek High Definition Audio) is selected it plays Roon plays perfectly through the laptop speakers. Plugging a HDMI cable directly into Samsung F8500 plasma thus bypassing AVR plays perfectly from Roon.

Roon plays perfectly through CP800 (which is default device)

I have checked that both the Realtek and Marantz drivers are at latest update. Done the Marantz test in Windows settings (7.1), plays test tune perfectly to all speakers.

JRiver and iTunes plays prefectly through the Marantz - single and same HDMI connection.

Resetting PC, removing Marantz power cable and reconnecting, running Roon as only app open in Windows makes no difference.

Disabled and re-enabled the system output in Roon Audio settings - no difference

Swopped HDMI cable between laptop and AVR, used different HDMI inputs on AVR, checked every possible setting in the AVR (I know this AVR very well having owned it for years) made no difference

Very frustrating! There are nothing that was changed (Roon or Windows software) or settings between working one day and not working the next.

Please assist. I have even considered uninstalling Roon and reinstalling but really not wanting to do that!

To add - the problem is also there even when trying to play anything from my library on the laptop HDD. Both iTunes and JRiver use the same media folder

Hi @Jan_van_der_Spuy,

Welcome to the forum.

You should be aware that in the past Realtek drivers have caused some issues in Roon. I can’t say for sure if this is the case on your end just yet, but it is an aspect to consider.

I would try clearing out RAATServer as a troubleshooting step. You can generate a new RAATServer instance on your device by following these instructions, but please be aware that this will reset your Roon Settings -> Audio Tab to factory settings and I would advise making a backup of any custom DSP settings you have prior to using these instructions:

• Create a Backup of your current Roon database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RAATServer”
  • Rename the “RAATServer” folder to “RAATServer_old”
  • Restart the Roon App to generate a new RAATServer folder

Hi Noris, I installed the latest Realtek driver which did not solve the problem. Then I regenerated Raatserver and that resolved it,
Thanks a million, you have preserved my sanity! Your quick response is highly appreciated. I would never have been able to resolve this myself and so glad that I did not have to reinstall Roon all over.

Happy to help @Jan_van_der_Spuy, I wish you a continued pleasant Roon experience!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.