"Roon Tested" device not listed as Audio Device (nothing)

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Hardware: Synology DS918+
Roon 1.7 (build 555) stable
Ethernet connection to ASUS RT-N66U Router

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Router: ASUS RT-N66U
Repeater: ASUS RT-N66U
Both running Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.382_51641-g46d2311
Negear GS108Ev3 Switch running default condiguration.

Router is delivering DHCP to rest of the network.
Repeater is wireless repeater, no physical connection to Router.
Netgear is connected to Router via Ethernet.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

NAD C658
Version: 3.8.13
Connection: Wifi
Static IP 192.168.1.30
Verdict: Works as it should.

Roopiee
Version 2.493
Connection: Wired to ASUS RT-N66U (Repeater)
Static IP: 192.168.1.31
Verdict: Works as it should

Denon AVR-1600H
Version: 6000-1341-6042-4045
-DTS Version: 3.90.50.00
Connection: Wired to Netgear GS108Ev3
Static IP: 192.168.1.69
Verdict: Everything but Roon works like it should.

Description Of Issue

Denon AVR-X1600h is accessible via web browser and Denon applications. It can stream internet radio and I did configure the Tidal app within Denon HEOS and this works fine, too. So all network functionality is fine.

The Denon AVR-X1600h is listed by Roon and Denon as “Roon Tested”. Supposedly “Roon will recognize these devices and send them audio optimized for their capabilities.” However, Roon does not list the AVR-x1600h as an audio device.
https://roonlabs.com/partners/denon
https://usa.denon.com/en-us/roon-tested/

Under “Setting\Audio” the NAD and RoPiee are listed and function as they should. The Denon is not listed.

All devices are running the latest firmware.
All devices have been rebooted.
Using wired or wireless connection with Denon does not matter, Roon does not list/recognize it.

At no time have I been able to get Roon to recognize, acknowledge, wink, or even give a jaunty wave toward the Denon. So far as Roon is concerned, it does not exist.

I contacted Denon today to verify this unit is properly listed as Roon Test; it is.

I am really quite bothered by this as I specifically purchased this device because it was list by Roon as a tested.

It’s not listed as AirPlay device in Roon?

Update: Is see it also has USB Audio input.

See also: Roon partner programs

PS: If you want a device that (natively) works with Roon over network it needs to be “Roon Ready” certified.

1 Like

Hi @Dale_Murray,

Can you share a screenshot of Settings > Audio?

Do you have Open vSwitch enabled on the Synology Core?

• Not listed as airplay device.
  • USB Audio input is not wildly helpful, the Denon is in the basement while Synology is in living room. Not even sure how I’d use that anyway.
  • Roon Ready. Then what the heck does this mean in regard to roon tested, “Roon will recognize these devices and send them audio optimized for their capabilities”?

Not meant to seem argumentative.

No vSwitch. I thought that may be the case since I did run VM’s on the synology at one point but I currently have no VM’s and no vSwitches.

It just lists my phone, the NAD, and the Ropiee. Its the same if I use the Mac or Android tablet.

I linked the documentation page in my last posting.

“Roon Ready” is for network players that support Roon’s RAAT protocol.

“Roon Tested” is meant for USB DAC’s and some network devices that properly support third party protocols like AirPlay, GoogleCast and so on supported by Roon.

FAQ: What audio outputs or devices are supported by Roon?

It reads that there is also a Squeezebox category to come. Maybe there is even more below that category. Have you tried to scroll down?

PS: You can disable Squeezebox support in Roon Settings|Setup if not needed.

Nowhere in that link does it say the Roon Tested device needs to be connected via USB.
https://roonlabs.com/partners
https://roonlabs.com/partners/denon

Squeezebox is not enabled under Settings\Setup.

Also, if I scroll down there is nothing more than details on squeezbox conflicting wth LMS support, whatever that is.

Nowhere in that link does it say that it will work over the network either.

You need a connection method supported from both, Roon and your Denon, to be able to send music from Roon to Denon. If you’re able to make AirPlay work, then you can use the network to do so. If not you have to use the USB input on the Denon. You may have to acquire a “Roon Ready” network to USB bridge device.
Or you can completely ignore the “Roon Tested” inputs and use HDMI, SPDIF or analogue inputs instead, depending on what your receiver supports. You might still need a “Roon Ready” network bridge (to HDMI,SPDIF or analog) to do so.

See also:

AFAIK and as far as I’m able to see this on my system, there should not be a Squeezebox category in Settings|Audio when Squeezebox support is disabled. Have you btried to reboot your Roon core as first troubleshooting step?

As I mentioned above, I have rebooted everything recently.
Ropiee has been updated and rebooted today.
Roon has been rebooted today.
Denon has not been hard booted today but has been and has yet to make a difference.

My wife play spotify to the Denon via Airplay.
I can play podcasts from mt iphone through the Denon via Airplay.
My mac will allow my to select the Denon as audio device. (The mac, not roon)
Open iTunes on my phone and play the free U2 track, I can choose the Denon via Airplay.
I open Tidal on my phone and can choose the Denon as the audio device.
The only thing I cannot do use use Roon with the Denon in ANY WAY, SHAPE, or FORM.

Just rebooted Roon. Squeezebox thing went away; nothing else changed.

1 Like

As of your system description, it seems that the Denon is the only device connected to your Netgear switch. If I were you, I would try to bypass the switch and directly connect the Denon to the router temporarily to see if then shows up in Roon (move it around if necessary – no need to connect speakers for that).

I tried that weeks ago, before I installed it in a difficult to reach cabinet with air filters and cooling. Basically, about 30 minutes crawling, opening a cabinet, disconnecting 10-15 wires, crawling out with it, etc etc.

Yes, it is the only item connected to the netgear, however, I was using it with WiFi prior to installation and had the same issues.

What I can easily do is disconnect the port on the netgear and set it up to use WiFi again.

Disconnected from Netgear and now on Wifi.

The only change is now my Macbook is listed as a device and it is somehow related to “Built-In-Audio Core Output”.

As has always been the case, I am able to select the Denon from my list of playback options on my Mac.

Screen Shot 2020-06-08 at 4.51.27 PM

Thank you for testing this and providing all these additional data-points. I think it’s now up to official support to further help you make use of the advertised “Roon Tested” AirPlay support.

This is just weird.
Ultimately, aggrivating.
I started looking at another raspberry Pi to use with the denon and got a little pissed off; this thing is supposed to work with Roon and apparently does not. Why am I going to spend an extra $100+ on something when the Denon/Roon combination should have worked in the first place.

I checked with Denon and I had already covered everything they would suggest.
I am now here hoping it can get figured out.

Everything has the latest firmware - Asus, Denon, Ropiee, Roon, NAD, Netgear - all of it checked today prior to opening this thread.

People without extensive A/V component experience, please stop pointing to USB. AVRs with USB-B that can accept direct connections from computers (hence Roon) are rarer than hen’s teeth. USB-A on nearly every A/V component is for cellphone or storage connection only.

USB is irrelevant to Roon in this case. Rather, this is an AirPlay networking issue, maybe due to different subnets.

AJ

I wrote my first comment about USB in an update – after I visited the product page from Denon where they wrote about “USB audio” support. If this means in fact that the device only reads the music stored on an iDevice then I’m deeply sorry pointing in that direction. Maybe the manufacturers should make it more clear then what they actually support with their devices.

I’m a network engineer and can assure you these are not on different subnets.
I have enough complexity in my work life, home network is quite simple.

Can it be that some software on your NAS (other media server software and the like) is using port(s) that are needed for AirPlay and thus prevent Roon from seeing AirPlay devices on the network?