First of all I apologise if I state the obvious since I have not read all of this thread. I am a new user and found much to like and even love in Roon, but the lack of file browsing was not one of those. So my first reaction was to deplore this and jump on the band-wagon of the file-browser camp. I now realise this was short-sighted because Roon’s insistence that music be presented in CD-folder format makes this impractical at least for classical music.
I spent many years carefully arranging the large classical library I have into folders and subfolders so it could be used in a way that actually makes sense (to me). That means that my present folder arrangement is something like this:
Chamber (Concertante, Symphonies, Piano solo, etc)
PT (Piano trios) (String Quartets, String Quintets, etc)
Op.1 (Op.2, etc)
Barenboim (Abegg, Beaux Arts, etc)
Having done this consistently allows me to find particular works easily and what is even more important offers me a choice of performers for a particular work.
It goes without saying that a structure like this completely ignores the CD as an organising entity, something it quickly emerged, Roon cannot handle at all (I fail to see why it cannot use the metadata embedded in the files to properly rearrange the files, even to build its own virtual CD order). So I was forced to re-arrange the library according to CDs, which I did and after that Roon correctly identified and arranged my classical music. However, going back to a CD arrangement completely destroyed my own careful arrangements and folder browsing is now no longer of any interest to me, since there is little merit in seeing a listing of the specific tracks on a classical CD.
That is why I have a hard time seeing why folder browsing would be of any use to me now. What would be very useful is for Roon to offer ways of finding classical works easily AND showing me the different versions of a particular work. I am still learning how this might be accomplished in Roon but one thing that is clearly less than perfect is the way it finds other versions. It happens time and again that I click on the different versions only to find that the list is incomplete. I have no idea what is causing this and hence also no idea how to remedy this. I just hope it does not involve too much tinkering because with a large library this is not practical.