Nucleus Rev B

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Linksys MX10600 - connected via ethernet, no vpn

Connected Audio Devices

NAD C 388

Number of Tracks in Library

~35k tracks, ~2k albums

Description of Issue

Everything was working until I recently updated to Build 1353.

Since then everything has gotten very very slow. When playing songs I might get a 2-5 second delay between tracks playing in the queue, if I’m editing an album it may take 5-10 seconds per action, if I’m focusing on my albums it may take 5-10 seconds just for the focus filters to display, top searching can take 10-30 seconds.

A lot of what was happening to the users in this thread aligns with my experience - but beyond just search. @zenit suggested I open my own ticket around the issues. I did follow the double-reboot trick and that did materially improve the experience for a short period of time but then it slowed back down again. Rebooting still does seem to improve things for 15-30 minutes but then everything drags again to almost unusable situations. These actions would take a few seconds or less in the past - the difference is very notable.

Some notes that may be unusual to my set up:
I have about 700 of my albums are local burned CDs on my SSD. SSD is 94% empty.
I also have Tidal and Qobuz simultaneously on the device.
I have many albums where I have all three version of the CD (local, tidal, qobuz) grouped together. When loading up the album page, sometimes I’ll see all of them ungrouped and then eventually it loads them all together.
I did notice in the thread I referenced above a number of folks mentioning they had both tidal and Qobuz - maybe just a coincidence.

I did see it say a number of times that Tidal was slow to load - though inconsistently. When it did, it would skip tracks. The internet speed tests had 1gb up and down and tidal connections directly were fine. I did reboot routers and nucleus to see if it made anything better without luck. This has been a non issue prior to the update and has last for days so don’t think it’s actually a connection issue with tidal. Again, the speed issues happen with local files as well and I can’t imagine what would cause a specific internet slow down issue with Tidal but not with anything else on the network.

This is on a nucleus but it doesn’t feel like a nucleus specific issue so wasn’t sure if I should tag it as a nucleus support issue. That being said, I do have a very similar setup on a Mac M1 mini (two different lifetime logins but many of the same cds and streaming setup) and not seeing any of the slow down issues on the mac mini.

2 Likes

8k artists
23k albums
306k tracks on Synology ds416play
+Tidal
+Qobuz

ROCK
Nuc8i7 with latest software build 1353
Intel NUC Kit NUC8i7BEK2 Intel i7-8559U, Intel Iris Plus Grafik 655, 2x DDR4 SODIMM, 1x M.2, WLAN, BT
Connected via CABLE on internet

IPAD PRO (gen. 1)
with latest software build 1353 on iOS 16.7.2

Stable fibre network without VPN and 80 down 15 up with 9ms ping

Tidal and Qobuz with their apps without roon are working fine and fast

Double reboot fixed problem only for some hours

1 Like

As suggested by @zenit in another thread regarding the slowness problems, I’ll mention / repeat my experiences here. They mirror pretty much those of @jager and @Ronny and many others in other threads: Since build 1353 searches for albums, tracks, artists pay take minutes and sometimes Roon gives in / up and returns to the screen before the start of the search. But there are plenty of other issues with this build: playback suddenly stopping, losing contact with all Roon Ready endpoints, complete rescan of the entire library, endpoints coming online again, sudden restart of playback, tracks failing to start and Roon being the Knightrider in blue until giving up, but I persist and finally the track starts, a gap of 10 sec or more between playback… In short: Roon is very unstable, no joy to use and pretty much useless right now.
21K albums
309K tracks on Synology DS418
Qobuz
Nuc i7-processor, Samsung 970 Evo 2 250GB SSD, 8GB Ram
Several endpoints, all wired
Roon remotes on several wifi and wired devices
Networking gear and management: Ubiquity devices, fibre up / down 1 Gb

5 Likes

Hi @jager,

Thanks for splitting out your issue into your own thread! We’re still investigating potential symptoms, could you please reproduce the issue and share the specific date, time and name of the track playing when the issue occurs?

Once you let me know this info, I’ll go ahead and enable diagnostics for your account so I can review the logging for clues.

If you’d rather do it yourself manually, please use the directions found here and send over a set of logs to our File Uploader.

Thanks!

15h

I now disabled ALL STORAGE FOLDERS
Settings → Storage → disable each storage folder

NO lokal music is now in Database
Only Tidal and Qobuz

And it is working fine again.and FAST

So there seems to be a problem with lokal Storage and the size of lokal storage of music

Can anyone confirm this behavior?

This info might be useful for the roon-team.

3 Likes

306k tracks seems a lot for an Intel Celeron N3060 1.600 MHz, which Google tells me is the CPU in your NAS. This CPU has less than half of the single thread performance of the basic Nucleus:

And the basic Nucleus is recommended for libraries with less than 100K tracks.

For 100K to about 250K tracks, the Nucleus+ is recommended, and that’s 3.5 times as fast

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/2762vs2879vs3070/Intel-Celeron-N3060-vs-Intel-i3-7100U-vs-Intel-i7-8650U

Prozessor

Intel® Core™ i7-8559U Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.50 GHz)

https://www.intel.de/content/www/de/de/products/sku/126140/intel-nuc-kit-nuc8i7beh/specifications.html

Compare here: 8559U
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/2762vs2879vs3302/Intel-Celeron-N3060-vs-Intel-i3-7100U-vs-Intel-i7-8559U

Or do you mean a different user?

Oh sorry, I overlooked the ROCK in your post, I only saw this

1 Like

Appreciate the follow up Benjamin!

Still seeing slowness constantly while using the latest build. To answer your question:
On December 1st at 8:07pm, I was listening to the track “Lively up yourself” and skipped to the track “Revolution” by Bob Markley from the album Natty Dread where I had a 10 second delay.

Again, this is just a very specific example - but it’s really all actions for the most part (merging, tagging, searching, focusing, etc). Also note, if you’re trying to find my roon account I have two - both with lifetime subscriptions. They both have the same email domain but the one that is having the issue is the one that starts with Karen. Feel free to check the logs.

Appreciate you looking into it! Hope we can figure out what’s going on.

1 Like

I also experience the new roon is very laggy compare to the old version.
The roon remote hangs at time and I have to slow the app and reload it.

2 Likes

I’m having loads of problems too. I use a NUC with a celeron processor running ROCK. was considering buying an i5 NUC because of all these problems. I only stream from Qobuz - no local storage. Has Roon become too much for the celeron processor to handle?

Could you please specify which Celeron that is and how big your library and RAM is?

If it is a modern, fast Celeron and the library is not too big (100k or 150k tracks max.), I do not see the necessity to switch. I compared my Celeron-based NAS and a NUC equipped with a really powerful i5. Yes, the latter is more instantaneous, analyzing/identifying much faster and adding some snappiness to the user experience. But both work fluently, the latest build 1353 included.

1 Like

Looks like: * Processor: 1.5 GHz Intel Celeron J3455 Quad-Core

• Memory: 4 GB of DDR3L-1600
  • Storage: 120 gig

Little over 3000 albums on Qobuz. No local storage

Comparison to the CPU of the Nucleus. Single-thread, the Celeron has between 1/2 and 2/3 speed:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/2879vs2875/Intel-i3-7100U-vs-Intel-Celeron-J3455

But with 3000 albums it should work, I suppose, if maybe not super snappy.

Having owned a machine equipped with Celeron J4025 (+50% faster than J3455 on a single core benchmark) and 8GB of RAM for quite some time I would assume that this combination might be a bit underpowered for a 40K tracks collection. My core collection is a bit bigger with lots of classical tracks and zillions of references to composers but I reached the very limit of that system earlier this year. Pretty similar symptoms to what many people are reporting now (very slow search, delayed playback, losing contact to players and alike). So I sent that one to retirement in April 2023.

Upgrading to 8GB of RAM might help for now but on the long run that CPU seems to be below the minimum specs. I do not mean to say that all current problems are due to the CPU and RAM but they are definitely not helping a snappy experience.

I think the blaming these issues on cpu doesn’t stick. Rock with an 7i7 and it just starts to get slower the longer it’s up. A reboot can clear it for a bit but it will return. It took nearly 30sec for a local library filer to be applied earlier today. I get some albums randomly stop showing thumbnails in Roon, playback responsiveness slows down so it can take seconds for playback to start. iOS app looses connection but apparently to be connected. It also got stock in a search loop this afternoon on iOS could not exit the search window, would only enter search. Had to kill the app. Also can’t have analysis running at all during playback as the whole interface gets really slow and adding albums takes way longer than it did. They would show up instantly prior to this build now they take ages.

There is certainly more to the issues with this build than just cloud infrastructure changes that have affected performance to search. It just seems Roon is exhibiting all sorts of weird behaviour it hasn’t before and feels like the cpu is getting overloaded with something, as Rock is closed can’t check to see what it might be either.

2 Likes

After using Roon for several years, on a lifetime purchase, I am giving up on this interesting/promising but rather unprofessional project. It has been really slow for a prolonged period, but in recent weeks it is almost unresponsive and completely useless. I have about 110k albums and 230k tracks, used to run it on a ROCK on a NUC8i7 with 32GB RAM but now tried to switch to a MacMini M2 Pro with 16GB RAM to no help. I am now switching to some other program; considering Audirvana or some of the RaspberryPi players, but any suggestion is very welcome!

PS! I should add that I have posted several posts over the years on the problems I have experienced but never got any response from Roon. And, that is the support they offer for a 700 Euro product.

5 Likes

thanks for the replies. my take away is that the problems are most likely with Roon, not my core. it never used to have all these problems, after all.

I have the same exact problem on my nucleus after updating. I only have 5000 albums, 1k of them on internal ssd. I only use Tidal as a streaming service. So it’s not the size of your library that’s causing issues, as mine is small and skipping tracks takes 10-20 seconds! So frustrating to use. Works fine after a reboot (which takes over 7 minutes before i see anything after reboot) then slows down after some minutes of usage. Another thing is when tidal service is updating, nothing is playable at all. Probably some sort of cache or memory leak? I don’t know….its like pulling teeth :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like