rooUPnP: Finally a Roon Extension for UPnP Streamers

Hey there - came across this thread via the NAIM Community forum. Looks like you have a great product here and well priced.

Would this work for a Cambridge Audio CXN V1 please? I currently have this streamer but can only use ROON via Airplay which downsamples everything to 16/44.1. I would dearly love to play Qobuz at 24/192.

There is a thread here that may give you some background on the streamer if you are unfamiliar with it - Roon with Cambridge CXN Streamer - #21 by Mike_O_Neill

Happy to do some testing for you if it will work.

Gavin,
This device is not yet on my list. So please try with this license code free of charge and report 69962830-E872-4031-BE07-1FE12D62818F

The license code will we blocked some day when I believe the application is stable enough.

Thatā€™s for the swift response.

I have an original RPi lying around so assuming I can use this I will look to test over the next few days.

Update.

I can confirm that this works with the Cambridge CXN v1 streamer and plays ROON at the advertise Qobuz sample rate. Historically the only way to play ROON was via Airplay which throttled it to 16/44.1.

This is excellent news as I was looking to replace the above due to frustrations with sample rates.

Question - I assume not seeing the album artwork on my streamers screen is a limitation of UPnP?

I will do some detailed testing over the forthcoming week but please add the above streamer to your supported list.

1 Like

Hiā€¦ just installed and set up rooUPnP yesterdat in a Pi4 yesterday. Originally I was using the pi with a digitial board connect to one of my non-Roon NAIM devicesā€¦ but with rooUPnP I can acess all the non-Roon devices in the house (3 x non-Roon Naim devices and even a Pure radio, which happens to be network enabled).

My Roon setup is enabled for both Tidle and Qobuz - I find the that responsivenss for Tidal quicker than for Qobuz (not really an issue as I will end my Qobuz subscription at the the end of the month).

Couple of questionsā€¦

1. My Roon has two profiles, one for me and one for my wife - but it appears that when she has logged into Roon as herself and connected to the Naim device in the kitchen, while I am able to log in to Roon under my profile, I am unable to select the Naim NDX2 (which is Roon enabled) in the living roomā€¦ Is this is a limitation of Roon or rooUPnP?

2. When using rooUPnP on a non-Roon device, (i.e. Naim NDX) the display only shows the streaming information - but not info about the track name, Album,artist info - is there a setting to enable this or is this a limitation of LMS?

OK scrub the first point in my previous submission - it now looks as if we can have two steams running concurrently - me on my NDX2 directly from Roon - music from my NAS and my wife on the UnitiLite from her profile listening to a totally different album from Qubuzā€¦

On point 2 - I understand that there is currently no roon bridge solution that passes the metadata to non-Roon devicesā€¦ would be great if this function can be added to rooUPnPā€¦

Gavin, this is really the case at he moment. I am working on improvement which will hopefully address this issue and also improve handling with NAIM streamers.

1 Like

This is not yet implementen, but I plan to support this in one of the upcoming releaseā€¦

Hi @DrCWO, I downloaded the software and flashed into the SD card. Put into a RPI but nothing happens. I did the settings in Roon but it keeps looking for the device. No working at all. What could it be the issue?
I want to buy a license but need to try first.

Thanks

Please tell me what happens with the LEDs. Maybe something went wrong at flashing. Balena reports itf it finds errors after flashing.
Please use the test license first, see my second post in this thread.

The green led is flashing at regular intervals. Similar to the other RPIs where I have Roopieee installed. The ethernet leds green and yellow are blinking or solid green.
I flashed three different cards with the same results.
Thanks

Good beginning. It guess is blinking same time on and off not flashing short time on, long time off.
Be sure roon was started BEFORE you boot your Pi.
If Roon was started first and then the bi is up and blinking goto Roon Settings Extensions. There you should see rooUPNP and enable it.

Thanks. It is working now. It only works if I set up a dedicated Roon Core Server. It doesnā€™t work if your server is also a client.

Roon ships Servers with clients and those without. I donā€™t think there is a difference, I wonder?!
But what I know is, that it is important, to start the roon Server or Server with client BEFORE booting rooExtend.

No certain of other people experience but that was the only way that I could get it to work. Yes, Roon was running before starting rooUPNP. The sound is very good have to say.
A little problem I am finding is when I select tracks from multiple albums. It gets stuck sometimes. I need to press forward to make it to continue.

Known issue, I work on thatā€¦

Hi DrCWO,
I am using the paid (I saw this topic too lateā€¦) version of your software on a Pi3 and it works just fine up to 192/24 wav streaming to my Naim NDX.
The only problem I have with it is that the soundquality is less then when a stream directly to the NDX without using Roon.
Is that something a can fix with settings or is that just the Pi3 that is added in the signalpath?

I wonder about that because in the 24/192 setting data is not touched by the Pi at all :thinking:
You can select what is sent by Roon in the device setting of Roon you there can turn FLAC on and off.
I soon will publish an updated version where things are even more smooth. So please try with this and report.
Please also take a look at the roon signal path maybe you can send me a screenshot of it.
Are you sure the NDX receives PCM?

Iā€™m using a Naim NDS/555DR and donā€™t detect any differences so your observation is curious.

Iā€™m using FLAC compression in Roon and sending PCM 24 bit to the NDS in the extension. Your streamer should show this as WAV. If you send FLAC to a legacy Naim streamer there is a slight performance drop, this is due to the extra work the streamer needs to do to ā€˜decodeā€™ the FLAC introduces noise in the streamer which marginally affects the sound quality.

1 Like

Here are some screenshots.