RoPieee - Feature requests

This thread might be of interest to you:

Hi Harry @spockfish

Long time no chat.

Is current stable RoPieee compatible with Raspberry Computer Module 3 (CM3)?

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/compute-module-3/

Cheers, Sean.

He @dabassgoesboomboom!

Yes it is.

1 Like

Nice. There is a really nice DAC & Headphone amp coming out soon that may have the CM3 insideā€¦

Will make a really nice Roon Bridged DACā€¦

It features an RPi for certain but I say may because Iā€™m waiting for confirmation from the manufacturer which board is exactly inside. I have a feeling itā€™s the CM3ā€¦

If it is the CM3, this means no issues with high PCM and DSD rates (no shared bus problems). But I have to check first.

There are more out there with a CM3 inside :wink:

Of course. I only asked now because this is the first product Iā€™ve actually been semi interested in gettingā€¦ waiting on some other details though.

I think the upcoming Allo USBridge Signature may have CM3 tooā€¦ unless they make a late change.

they wonā€™t :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Rest in peace Sparky :grin:

1 Like

There is already one available:
www.orchardaudio.com/pecanpi

1 Like

As discussed above, one advantage of the CM3 (and new RPi4) is support for higher PCM and DSD rates, where the Pi3 struggles due to shared USB & ethernet bus power.

But @Orchard_Audio your DAC is limited to PCM192kHz right? And doesnā€™t support DSD?

It says the Pecan Pi supports DSD. But if we are going to make such comparisons lets not omit the fact that a Pi 3 B+ is Ā£35 and a CM and its Pi 3 plugin comes to well over Ā£100 as a single unit. So it ought to be very good at that price. :wink:

PecanPi is limited to 192kHz.

It does not natively support DSD, but the software will convert DSD to PCM. One reviewer said that DSD sounded best even with the software conversion.
ā€œIf anything, DSD output (despite the non-native processing) was the most impressive file output across the entire sound test as inherent noise was very low.ā€

Noted but none of this discussion has had anything to do with ā€˜value for moneyā€™ comparisons between productsā€¦

And the DAC chip itself doesnā€™t support DSD.

Anyway weā€™re getting off the topic of RoPieee now.

Noted. I only brought up CM3 because it allows high PCM and DSD rates, without the RPi3 issues.

Good to know PecanPi is compatible with RoPieee with itā€™s CM3 module.

I have had a few customers request that Spotify connect be added to Ropieee.

1 Like

You havenā€™t been keeping up with the XL project Leoā€¦itā€™s on the list

Hi Harry @spockfish,

I think it would be nice, if we could use the LED at the front in another way.

Wouldnā€˜t it be cool if the LED will be blinking when RoPieee found an update?

Just for the users, who deactivate the automatic update function. :wink:

Best
Oliver

3 Likes

this is actually a good idea!

2 Likes

An Information on the Screen ā€žUpdate availableā€œ were also cool :sunglasses:

Hi! I bought myself a new amplifier w. built in DAC the other day. A NuPrime IDA-16.
I own a couple of DSD256 albums that I frequently listen to, but they wonā€™t play on my new amp with DoP.
Would it be possible to add it to the supported devices to enable native DSD?
It looks like itā€™s similar to NuPrime DAC-10 (which is already supported) utilizing the same ESS9018 that offers PCM 384K & DSD256.
If you could add it, it would be awesome!
Thanks in advance!