As promised, here’s the first beta of the new RoPieeeXL, based on the new RoPieee which just got released last week.
Some simple rules to make everyone lives (but especially mine ) easier:
Don’t use this if you want stable. Stuff will break. That’s a promise
If you think that this is the thread to share your feature requests… don’t. PLEASE don’t. This is purely about RoPieeeXL as it currently is, but based on a new foundation.
But if you’d like to help testing and find it fun to do so: you’re welcome to join!
2 things you will notice immediately:
HQP is missing. I’ve got it already working in the lab, but it will land in one of the next beta updates.
Librespot is missing, see HQP.
Bluetooth is missing. And I intent to keep it like that The bluetooth feature feels like a mistake from my side: it’s a huge pain to maintain and it’s bizarrely complex for what it needs to offer. So I know this is selfish, but it’s no fun in keeping it work. Unless someone sends me a DAC named after a little boy from a famous british hifi manufacturer … this is gone
So what do you need? An image either for the Pi 3 family:
Install went really well (and quickly!) on a RPi3, no issues.
Immediate observation is that Librespot isn’t working yet (which I am sure you are aware of!)
The options for Initial Volume, Normalisation and Account Username/Password are missing.
It’s mounted on gpio, so connections cannot be the problem, using the hat like before.
Power: You’re right, used a power bank, saw these undervoltage messages before, but it works with the old version. Now attached a 2.1 A PS (it’s a pi3), same result (see feedback). Also tried another one with 2.4 A.
Next thing first is some UI stuff: in the current RoPieee there’s an indication if no hardware mixer is available for a specific HAT. For now I disabled that, because in the past I got a lot of questions about that message asking ‘if something was wrong with their setup’. Which isn’t of course, except that you can’t select hardware volume control and you need to do with software volume control.
So I need to think about a solution in which the UI informs users about the absence of hardware volume control, without users thinking that this is some kind of error.