Scratch & Dent Nucleus on Amazon

I think I just purchased the last scratch & dent Nucleus on Amazon US. I guess I am all-in on Roon and won’t wait any longer for my Node 2i to resolve it’s issues.

I am going to leave my Roon Core (Server) on my Mac Mini to share with my head-fi table and use the Nuke with my 2-channel speaker setup.

Will re-purpose an old NuForce LPS-1 linear P/S (15v, 4a), which I think should work with the Nucleus.

1 Like

You really need 19v PSU for Nucleus.

I don’t think that’s true, as long as you have sufficient amps. 4A is a lot.

1 Like

I’m confident the PSU will work. It is based on a 7th gen NUC and that accepts a range of voltage as long as current can make up for it. Your good to go :slight_smile:

1 Like

I also just bought a Nucleus at the 20% off price. I’m loving it compared the the MacBook Air I was using as a core. I’m wondering if you’re expecting a big improvement in SQ with the LPS on the Nucleus.

I did switch to a Sbooster BOTW for my Lumin D2 and was very pleased with the results.

Well, just landed back in Minneapolis, took my phone off of airplane mode and received this from Amazon:

We’re writing to inform you that your order from Roon Labs LLC has been canceled because the item you purchased is out of stock.

:tired_face::disappointed_relieved::cold_sweat:

@Krutsch I will be evaluating my Nucleus+ against another core… if it looses I will sell you the one I got from Amazon… I will PM you and let you know

Or just bite the bullet and buy one at retail price from Moon Audio or elsewhere. It works so much better than running Roon on a computer.

After Roon 1.7, unless that other core is another Roon OS device (ROCK, Nucleus, NADACPLAYER, some new upcoming devices), you are going to be paying a penalty.

Also, the “B-stock” N+ is still on Amazon… unsure why – that should get removed.

Would love to… where do I do that? Roon isn’t allowing on-line sales anymore, except from Roon via their Amazon store (which is now empty of appliances). I’m sure more will appear, at some point…

What do you mean by that? According to their own White Paper, the Roon Nucleus is an Intel NUC in a nice case.

Yes, it’s got beautiful industrial design and, yes, it’s fanless. Both of those may be important if you want to put it in your living room next to the rest of your stereo equipment. But “works better”?

The N’s are all out of stock … Dec 16th we should have more – so a week… PM me and I’ll get you one from the very first batch available.

It runs Roon OS – not Windows/MacOS/RandomLinuxDistribution.

Is that different from ROCK on a NUC?

I knew someone would post this. I’m comparing to a Windows 10 computer. I guess I need to spell that out for you. And yes, it works much much better.

A bit, but only for the fanless stuff. Nothing material on the software side of things… but @Jim_F said “computer”, which means general-purpose-computer running Windows/MacOS/SomeLinuxDistribution, not NUC running ROCK (which is also how he clarified it).

Is there some licensing reason why you can distribute Microsoft’s .Net libraries with RoonServer on ROCK, but not with RoonServer for other Linux distros?

No, the reason is purely QA. We had problems during testing on random Linux installs. We wanted it out the door with 1.7, so we chose to release on RoonOS first, since we can control the environment. It’ll get to everything else eventually.

Also, unless you’re a computer geek (and I don’t mean that in a derogatory sense), a Nucleus is worth the price difference vs building a NUC to me. I used to be pretty good with computers, but I’ve been retired for 16 years. I had enough trouble just getting my music copied over from Windows 10 to the Nucleus. I would rather pay more for something that is basically turn-key versus a DIY solution. It’s the same reason I fly airplanes. I don’t build airplanes.

1 Like

That makes a lot of sense. Great to hear that it will make it to the other platforms eventually.

To be clear, I wasn’t quibbling with that decision, just with the assertion that (presumably after the initial setup) a Nucleus “works better” than a similarly-configured (dedicated) computer.