Scrolling not smooth

I am a new roon user, currently on the trial. I have invested in a ROCK running 1.6 and an Allo DigiOne with a rip running RoPieee as an end point into naim gear. I control with my iPad Pro (iOS 12.1.2). Very happy so far and am heading towards a lifetime subscription. However, I have noticed that the iOS control app is not as fluid as I would have expected, i.e scrolling jumps around a bit. Is this a known issue? This detracts from the potentially great user experience.

Cheers

Mark

3 Likes

I have the same kit and don’t have any issues.

What is your network setup?

Also, is Roon still analyzing/importing your library? That will slow things down until it is finished.

1 Like

Thanks John, good to know that it should be ok. Finished importing and analysing last week so I don’t think that should be the issue. Everything is hard wired through an hp unmanaged switch and a netgear R8000 router. My pad is connected with max strength to WiFi.

Cheers

Mark

1 Like

Wow, same router too! Cold comfort I know.

Let’s get @support involved here.

2 Likes

@Mark_Robbins In settings, setup what do you have set for ‘memory for photos/artwork? On my ipad I have 1024mb.

1 Like

Good thought. I’d try clearing your cache and rebooting as well.

1 Like

Thanks John and Ratbert, increased memory, cleared cache and rebooted. Very much better, but still not as smooth as it could be. Also search is slow for me but that is for another thread…

1 Like

Hi @Mark_Robbins,

This is just a thought but the Netgear R7000 is listed in our networking best practices as needing to disable “Enable Multicast Routing” for proper communication, I am wondering if this would also apply to the R8000, can you give this a try?

Thanks,
Noris

2 Likes

Thanks Norris, I had already disable “Enable Smart Connect“ but cannot find any setting for “enable multicast routing”. Cheers. Mark

1 Like

Grabbing at straws here: the latest iOS is 12.1.3

1 Like

I would also try to reinstall the iPad app to see if that helps @Mark_Robbins.

1 Like

I have a iPhone X latest iOS latest Roon app version.
Scrolling is smooth but so damn slow. It is a big problem to scroll down the many albums that are in my library, it just takes too long, it’s just not fast enough, and has no post rolling, so it stops immediately when you take your finger off the screen. (I hope you know what I mean)

1 Like

I’ve also noticed that scrolling is jittery on iOS devices. I had thought it was a problem with my older model iPad, but I just got one of the new ones, and the problem remains. It doesn’t seem to be broken: it’s just not as smooth as a web page or most apps.

Is this the way Roon works on iOS at this point, or could there be something wrong with my setup that I should try to address?

1 Like

Same issue, Roon on my iPad Pro and iPhone 12 is slow and jerky when scrolling. It is a really clunky feeling software.

1 Like

I also experience this issue across a couple of different generations of iPads. While scrolling to read the album review or band history pages for example, the screen jumps back up to the top randomly. If I wait and don’t do anything, it often jumps back to where I was after a second or so, but it’s very distracting. It does not happen on my iPhone at all, just the iPad.

1 Like

Same thing happens on my Samsung tablet. Reported to support months ago. They followed up a couple of times then, nothing.

1 Like

I am experiencing the exact same issues on my iPad and iPhone. When I scroll in the Roon app it’s very choppy, when I flick the scrolling is smooth. It looks as if the interaction with the finger on the screen makes the scrolling choppy.

2 Likes

I’ve had the same problem on all my iOS devices (iPhone, iPad) and on android devices. Recently tried a 120hz phone and it got rid of almost all the issues because the dropped frames are diluted but they are still there.

No idea why but the app drops frames consistently.

1 Like

I’ve raised this several times but to no avail:

What’s really weird is that if I scroll in one direction it drops frames and then becomes 60 smooth but if I scroll up and down without taking my finger off it feels like it’s halved the frame rate. Letting go brings it back to 60, it’s really unpleasant.