Search results not as expected

Hmmm, I get the ripped version, then the three Qobuz versions. But I haven’t added any of the Qobuz alternate versions to my library. Looks like you have.

Bottom line of all of this is you are not alone @xxx. 1.8 has many bugs in this dept. I even have artists with albums in local disk which show up in the full album browser but aren’t present in artist overview. This streaming obsession has meant that the local disk handling has not been given the attention it needed following the 1.8 overhaul. Roon now merrily fails at the rote basics of showing you what is in your library.

5 Likes

Seems like there is something strange happening here (the story of Roon 1.8). I have this excellent album on CD in my library and a search turns it up exactly as expected, and the alternate versions are there to pick from if needed. Could this be related to Qobuz integration in any way, as I only have Tidal, or do you just think it’s a 1.8 issue?

Dave it’s definitely worth several listens

1 Like

I don’t remember doing that (I’ve had the ripped version before I had Qobuz or Roon), but I suppose it’s possible.

Shouldn’t make a difference tho.

I have versions of CDs in my library I cannot get to because they simply don’t show-up anywhere (specifically confusion around an original release and the “deluxe” release where track numbers are the same). It’s as if Roon treats them both as duplicates and separate versions depending on where you are (versions duplicate vs albums separate as example). There are certainly instances where this causes them to just be hidden. It started with 1.8.

I’m being patient as I know they are still sorting some issues with versions and I hope this just gets magically fixed at some point.

3 Likes

This needs to be highlighted.

Uh, I think this is a stretch of logic, but it can be explained.
You (Slim) have a local version of the 12 track release in your library. And you have a 20 track release from Qobuz in your library.
Qobuz has 3 Relish albums total, one 12 track and two 20 track versions, each either 16 or 24 bit.

When you come to versions by selecting the 12 track release, it shows that album In your Library. There are also 3 other versions in Qobuz. (2@20 and 1@12 tracks).

When you come to versions by selecting the 20 track release, it shows that you have one (from Qobuz) and that there are two other versions in Qobuz. It’s not showing the 12 track WAV version here because it is not in Qobuz.

@Dave_Richardson shows the 20 track version he has locally, but there are also the three remaining versions in Qobuz.

Sure enough, if I add the 24-bit Qobuz version to “my library”, I get the same thing you’re seeing. Removing it from the library fixes it.

There are quite few issues with Roon not showing all artist appearances in the library. That one has a ticket in. May be this one is a similar issue with Roon not showing all versions in the library?

If I recall correctly, @Andreas_Philipp1 noticed something similar. Cant remember exactly…

It all boils down to the fact that I can’t be certain anymore that Roon will identify albums which already have been added to my library when looking at an artist’s Overview or Discography pages. I know it doesn’t. And ‘added to my library’ means both local music files and albums from Tidal/Qobuz. I near every day click on an album to add it to my library, only to find out by the eternally turning wheel that it cannot be added - it already is in the library.

Roon is in bad shape right now.

7 Likes

@grossmsj , @Bill_Janssen, (and @Michael_Harris, @Dave_Richardson) thanks for taking the time to research this for me.

I am thinking that you are both on to something, but (as I’m sure you understand) those are only reasons, not (good) excuses.

As long as Roon doesn’t show me all the versions of a particular Search item, no matter how I got there or how many Qobuz versions I have, then this is a rather obnoxious bug.

Yes, agree completely and the crux of my issue.

I am waiting to hear from @support. Once I do, I will solve this particular problem by deleting all but the ripped version. Why would I need others, particularly since the ripped version sounds the best of all.

I think that before I do any deletes, I am going to copy the ripped version to a directopry that Roon doesn’t know about. At this point, one can’t be too careful. :smirk:

3 Likes

I think Scott put his finger on it. The 20-track and 12-track versions are different albums as far as Roon is concerned, but not as far as Qobuz is concerned. So if you select the 12-track, Roon will show you that, plus both the 20-track and 12-track versions in Qobuz, but if you select the 20-track, Roon won’t show you the 12-track, even if it’s local, because that’s a different album, but will defer to Qobuz on what else to show you from that source.

2 Likes

See, the problem with that is that there is then no way to find the ripped version, unless one specifically allows for the absurd complexities of Search. In that case, who needs Search at all? :smirk:

Yep, it seems to completely disappear.

The degradation in library mgmt in Roon 1.8 has been pretty massive. Seems to get worse with every „fix“

I think you might have hit on why this is working for me. I use Qobuz to decide if I want to buy something but don’t normally use it for general listening. Once I purchase something I delete the Qobuz version from my library leaving the ripped version as my primary version. That’s what the Roon search had at the top of the results.

1 Like

Well one thing from this thread is I have now listened to Joan Osbourne. Never heard of her before. Sometimes good things come out of bad.

5 Likes

The girl has a great voice and has made some good album’s. Relish was a favorite album for a Long time.

It might not appeal to you but a few years ago she did an album of Bob Dylan cover’s that was very nice as well

1 Like

‘Relish’ is smokin’ hot.

1 Like

Yes, but now you can ‘discover’ other artists born in Russia, Germany, or what have you. Or what I call ‘Similar New Related If You Prefer Them In Their Prime Born In The Same City This Other Genre’s For You.’ They should have left 1.7 file management alone, hired a proper UI designer, forgot about trying to be another Spotify, and made a nice little refresh to 1.7 instead of randomly moving crap around for the sake of doing something different. I get the feeling Roon devs are probably now lost in their own trees as much as we are. My hope is that with 2.0 they start with an entirely new framework that is a tab design with fixed buttons and modules that remain locked and consistent across screens.

4 Likes