Search to play time delay

Sorry I know you are trying to help … good luck

Hi @George_Evans,

I realize that the system hasn’t changed and TIDAL direct works as expected, but these tests are useful in narrowing down the exact cause.

MQA works through the TIDAL app, that’s a good data point that you mentioned already. Our thinking with this test is to find out if local MQA exhibits the same issue as streaming MQA, which is why I asked you to download an MQA file off the 2L test bench and let me know if it has the same issues as streaming MQA files. If it doesn’t it will provide a valuable data point and we know that the network is playing less of a part in the issue and to focus on the Core/Endpoints more.

QA has inquired as to the exact setup to try to identify if any part of the network chain can be a source of the issue. Even when nothing changes, hardware itself sometimes stops properly working. I have seen quite a few reports of cables failing, routers not working as they’re supposed to, so getting a concise description of how everything is connected to the network will help us determine if one piece of hardware has failed or if the issue lies elsewhere.

Ok, so the DSP question has been answered but the other two have not. Please let me know your answer to the other two questions above and we can proceed.

I don’t intend to ever to down load MQA files I only want to stream them… If you have problems your endmust investigate 'Im … getting f tired sorry

Explitive!! … I HAVE SIAD THE SYSTEM HAS WORKED for months !! ROON HAVE FUCKED SOmtING up…

Obviously to increase server demand from increasing user demand the payback is longer server delay

Irrelevant CRAP question STOP the crap asking… I’ve replied I m sick of lacking to idiot pimple faces kids that know fuck all I want a professional IT working on the problem

READ what I write you are paid to to at least be able to read kids

OK if you cant read god back to school

Were are you based USA ?

Nothing changed

Hi George,

I can see that you are frustrated here, but I can assure you that Noris and our team are doing everything we can to get things working for you.

There are a couple of misconceptions in this thread that I want to clear up, and then I can offer a few ways forward – how we proceed will be up to you, and we’ll do whatever we can to get things working for you.

First, Roon buffers and plays back TIDAL content differently from TIDAL’s apps and other apps that play TIDAL content, and may have different requirements for network speed and stability, performance of the machine, etc. Comparing Roon’s TIDAL playback to other applications playing TIDAL is comparing apples and oranges – the comparison that actually matters here is how your Roon setup is performing in relation to other Roon setups.

Second, if the issue started in the last few weeks and relates to how fast playback starts, this isn’t caused by a change in Roon. We haven’t released a new version of the software in that time period, and the speed at which playback starts has nothing to do with our servers – it has to do with how fast the device running your Roon Core can buffer the information coming down from TIDAL’s servers.

If the issue was related to a change in TIDAL’s servers, I suspect we would be hearing about from our many customers in your area, but as far as I am aware we are not hearing widespread complaints about this issue, in your region or elsewhere.

So, since we can sure that Roon hasn’t changed and we’re not aware of changes on TIDAL’s end, I agree with the general direction of Noris’ troubleshooting – the most likely thing to have changed here is something in your setup.

Again, I understand you’re frustrated – that doesn’t change the basic facts about how computers work. Every day, failures emerge suddenly in hard drives, RAM, ethernet cables, routers, and so on, or bad firmware gets released, etc.

I’m sure you would agree that sometimes things break. Is something like that the cause of your problem? I have no idea, but the only way to figure it out is methodical troubleshooting, as Noris has been attempting to help you with.

Cursing at our staff is not going to help them get this resolved for you, George. But I encourage you to think through this logically – you can see right here that 5,000 users have been active on this site in the last 30 days.

If something had gone horribly wrong on our end (or TIDAL’s) during that time period, don’t you think there would be many, many furious posts about this same symptom? If this was on our end, and nothing at all has changed in your setup, why do you think there aren’t tons of people having the same issue as you?

Now’s the part where I talk about our options, so let me be frank – these types of issues can take a lot of time and patience, and generally speaking the only way forward is the painstaking work of troubleshooting.

Our team does this every day and they’re very good at it, but if we’re going to resolve this there will be many more questions for you to answer, and a number of tests for you to run and report back to us about. When people trust our process, we get posts like this, but that process won’t work if you’re attacking our staff.

So, the other option is that we refund the unused months on your subscription and wish you the best. I’m happy to proceed with either option, but cursing at our staff and demanding fixes for a problem whose cause we haven’t even identified yet is a bad use of your time and ours.

Again, our guys do this every day, George. You can trust them or not, but I’m not aware of any way forward other than to answer their questions and get on with the hard work of understanding why your system isn’t performing like everyone else’s. Let us know how you’d like to move forward.

SETUP pics and question on downloading:

Could you please advise how to down load Flac & MQA fron the link you sent I’ve tried but cant find the files in the Library see screen shot above.

[https://kb.roonlabs.com/FAQ:_How_do_I_import_music%3F ]
[https://kb.roonlabs.com/FAQ:_What’s_a_watched_folder%3F ]

Network ISP speed checks :

37.2 Mbps Your average download speed

8.4 Mbps Your average upload speed

Hi @George_Evans,

Noris is currently traveling, but he has filled me in on the issue you’re experiencing and the troubleshooting that has been performed so far.

1. Download the files from this link.
  2. Once they’re downloaded, put them in your Music folder:
  3. In Roon, navigate to Settings > Storage and make sure that the Music folder is added:
  4. If the Music folder is not there, you can add it as a watched folder:

5. Now your downloaded music should appear in Roon. To find it easily, you can Focus on this specific storage location from the Album browser:

6. Now you can select the media and try playing it back.

Let us know how this goes, George — This will be a great data point for understanding where this behavior is stemming from. If you have any questions about the process outlined above please let us know.

Awesome thanks !

Yes I confirm the downloaded MQA & FLAC files play immediately with lighting speed i.e. with no search delay hopefully this test will give you insight into the problem.

Another bit of information : After selecting a new album (from Tidal) and then choosing a track from the list its starts searching and after a delay of usually 20 -35 sec playback starts. BUT if I let the album play through the list on its own ( shuffle) the delays don’t occur it moves on a new track seamlessly however if I pick a new track within the same album the long delay occurs.

George

Hi @George_Evans — Thanks for running this test, much appreciated!

Yes, this definitely gives us some insight into where the delay is stemming from. This test confirms that Roon and the Core machine are capable of processing this type of content without any delays, so this points to there being a networking issue at play that is causing things to perform slowly when playing TIDAL content in Roon.

Just to verify I’m understanding correctly:

When you start playback, there is a delay, but if you let the queue proceed there is no delay between tracks. However, if you manually select another track, the delay occurs — Is this correct?

If so, this also points in the direction of some networking issues at play here.

Moving forward with our troubleshooting, I’d like to first confirm how the Core machine is connected to the network. Please see the following instructions:

1. Open the Settings app in Windows 10
  2. Choose Network and Internet
  3. Grab a screenshot of the Status screen and share it with us here
  4. Go to the WiFi tab and make sure it is set to off. If it isn’t already, do so now (and give TIDAL streaming another test).
  5. Go to Ethernet and share another screenshot with us here

Thanks!

“When you start playback, there is a delay, but if you let the queue proceed there is no delay between tracks. However, if you manually select another track, the delay occurs — Is this correct?” Yes correct

I Never use WIFI on this machine as it uses Ethernet. However it was one of the first checks I tried switched to WIFI no difference i.e. same delay. ( reverted back to Ethernet after of course)

Remember that streaming directly from Tindal’s app is perfect

thanks

PS Interesting …

So it is a problem affecting many !!

Hi @George_Evans,

The issue that you linked to in the post above is a bit different. That is related to the speed of using the search function. There have been several back-end changes since then that have, for most, improved the performance of search quite a bit. In your case, there is a delay when starting playback of TIDAL content, which isn’t quite the same thing here.

Moving forward, I’d like to recommend trying Google DNS so we can see if that help the playback speed up. In the past, we’ve found that Google DNS can help with TIDAL performance, so it would be a good thing to try here.

There is a good tutorial that walks through the process here — I definitely recommend checking that video out and giving it a try here.

Yes I’ll try Goople Public DNS this evening …

So far we have ruled out many issues with tests performed. I need to check with the dealer who advised on the SoTM setup about Google DNS.
What still does not make any sense is the fact that (like other uses have stated the on-set of the delays is rather abrupt for me it stared 3 weeks ago after working fine for months they also report 30-40s delays identical to what I observe) so why are you saying its a different problem ? Sorry if I’me grabbing the wrong end of the stick…

Why should normal DNS degrade as you suggest ? All apps installed on my PC work perfectly including Tidal what,s different about Roon and why? Frankly, as other community uses have written and acknowledged by Roon , ( please refer to link) given the growth in the Roon membership base your servers cant keep up…