Searching for ... Slower than slow

slower than slow, even have plenty of time to start a screenshot program and take a screenshot

Hi @fernand_lambert,

Thanks for reaching out here! So we can better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

Is every search performing slow, or just this particular search? If you search for this same string again does it take the same amount of time or do things speed up for the next search?

Hey Dylan, I have been using the app for a long time now and little or nothing has changed in my setup, the slow operation started after the last upgrade of the app.

I have also seen that complaint or comment pass through several times, here on the forum, but also beyond (various forums and Facebook pages)

The answer that I often see is the advice to reset everything, that is also the case in many cases, but in the current Roon version 1.6 (build 401) that has to happen a lot.

I understand your reaction to look for the cause at the setup of the customer/user, but in the meantime it must also be thought through thoroughly about the last upgrade made, since for many the problem of slow response of the search function started there.antwoord%20op%20Roon

I completely agree with this. I have seen many, many reports people made about this issue. The searching is very inconsistent indeed. Previously (1.4 and I believe 1.5 as well) Roon loaded local content first and loaded streaming content within a few seconds. The current performance in 1.6 is not up to par and is breaking the music listening experience.

If it would have been possible I would go back to the previous version of Roon.

2 Likes

as already stated in another threat, this seems to be a bigger issue and not only one that a few lost souls have.
Search has become really slow on 1.6. Searching my own library and playing the files has become a test on my nerves, after about forever it finds the album you click on it and it does not show up. Adding new albums via Identify is abismally slow. Ripping music is quicker than identifying.
I use Roon in combination with Tidal. All was ok with 1.5 and even as I remember in the first version of 1.6 (which had loads of other issues) Restarting the core seems to help for a while, so it seems to be a cache issue.
Instead of thinking, oh it is only a few complainers with dreadful networks and Internet, just take it as it is - a problem that many have and not everybody writes about it. It took me a long before I wrote about it here, but the level of annoyance is pretty high with me now. Only a small percentage of people complain, that does not mean that all is good. Same in restaurants, even if served horrible food, only few complain. That does not make it a good restaurant.

1 Like

I have the same problems (I use Tidal):

• slow find or never find some artist/album until restart core and/or controller
  • lost connection of controller (Android) with core (Nuc8i5 with Windows 10 Pro and Roon server)
  • example: Joe Dassin without picture, and many others and many albums

I have the same problem and it’s been like that, same as everyone else, since the last upgrade.

A reboot of the server fixes it everytime for me, for a short while, then it slows down again until I reboot it again.

If it was my internet connection causing this problem, why would a reboot of only the Roon server fix this every time?

2 Likes

Exactly! It is a Roon software problem.

As an example - I just tried to get to the Overview page on a remote. Gave up waiting after 60 seconds. Went to the Roon Rock web page and rebooted the server.

Went back to the Roon Remote - instant load of Overview page.

Later today, it’ll be back to the usual very long delays.

1 Like

An odd variation on this issue: Recent search for Prokofiev Piano Sonatas is a minutes long ordeal. Any iteration of the search is equally slow. Both on laptop and iPhone remots.

OTOH, search results for obscure (Binchois, Machaut) and prolifically recorded composers (Bach, Mozart) were instantaneous. Odd. (Still searching for poor Sergey as I conclude this post.) Any rhyme or reason to this?

Roon search just answered my question:
SERGEY Prokofiev will not produce results.
SERGEI Prokofiev was an immediate search as was last name only.

Can’t complain about Roon’s not connecting to the endless variations in transliteration. Just have to keep it in mind when searching,1 I suppose :slight_smile:

Upto 1.5 Roon had the Stig behind the wheel where now it’s Captain Slow.

I can only hope they finally have enough data from helpfull users to solve the issue asap.

Dear Roon software developersI can tell with certainty that I act correctly with a search function, because I am starting from excel download from Roon. A wrong entry or name is not an argument for slow operation

Hi everyone,

I definitely recommend checking out my post here for the latest on this investigation.

@fernand_lambert,

Thanks for the details above! As mentioned in the post I linked to above, we have a fix for an issue that is causing poor performance like you’re seeing that is currently in testing. With that in mind, some additional details on what you’re experiencing would be a great data point!

First, can you confirm that this slow behavior occurs with all remote devices?

Moving forward, the next time that you’re in this state where things seem slow, I was hoping you could perform the following test. Please make a note of the time that you start the test and how long each step takes:

1. Run a speed test here and report your results in your response
  2. Open Overview page.
  3. Open Discover page.
  4. Perform a search for “The Beatles”.
  5. Open “The Beatles” artist page.
  6. Open the “Help!” album page.
  7. Start playback of “Help!” (how long does it take before it plays?).
  8. Search for “Daft Punk”.
  9. Open the “Daft Punk” artist page.
  10. Open the “Random Access Memories” album page.
  11. Start playback of “Random Access Memories”.

Respond here with the times for each and the time that you started (and your timezone). I’ll pass these results along to the team to aid in their investigation.

Thanks!

I am also having the same problems, I will do the test later. Restarting my NUC helps and then it slows again after a while.

I recommend to install other OS instead ROCK. I installed Ubuntu minimal 18.04 on NUC instead ROCK and resolved “slowness” problem .

Hi everyone,

I wanted to reach out because we’ve just released Roon 1.6 (Build 416). This update includes a fix for some performance problems we believe may be causing some users to experience slowness in Roon. Please give Roon an update and let us know if things have improved for you.

You can read the full release notes here:

Still the negative experience that it has become very to extremely slow. It took me about 20 seconds to find this one.
Good for Roon that I have a streamer that currently only works with the Roon app and that I have bought Roon for life, otherwise …!
And please don’t come back with restarting or resetting the Nuc as THE solution
cover

Hi @fernand_lambert,

Are all searches performing at this speed, or is it only occasional? If you perform this search a second time is it any quicker?

Just did it, same search find in about 2 seconds, it looks like the problem is when you search a name or artist for the first time