Shareable Playlists

I think playlist sharing would be the greatest breakthrough in Roon functionality.

1 Like

+1 for me too. Great way to learn about new music within similar genres.

+1. This would be a great way to leverage the community, beyond the AI training in Valence

I would like to be able to share information about recently added or played albums/tracks in human- and machine-readable forms directly, rather than having to add manually to a playlist and then export the playlist as XLS.

2 Likes

Agreed, sharing playlists is a requirement today.
I do see the difficulty in this as each album/song must be identified uniquely and at the same time be publicly available.
Then it will not matter if individual objects can be matched to the target user/systems local library or any available online streaming service.

Not sure these rants make any sense though, itā€™s a difficult subject.

I like the concept of shareable playlists - after all, music is far from a solo pursuit & the sharing of playlists is common practice.

plus 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
and a complete sentence: Roon sent me 5 emails about how great the next Roon version will be, but I still canā€™t share a serendipitous evening of music, with my friends, as a playlist?

1 Like

Havenā€™t really done much with playlists in Roon but did one today and was surprised there was no share functionality. The ability to output the playlist as a text/csv file or even PDF would at least allow a level of information sharing?

Being able to export a playlist in the playlist order would be a good first step :wink:

Anyone know how i do this? Cant work it out for some reason. Just want to point a fellow Roon user to one of my playlists

Any ideas?

Sorry, no can do at this timeā€¦
But there are plenty of feature requests of similar scope. Please add your opinion to one of those, they are monitored by Roon team members.

1 Like

Wow - didnā€™t expect this to be a feature request, its pretty basic stuff no? What do people do, email screen grabs?

wow - still trying to take this in

1 Like

Iā€™ve just been re-directed here asking about how to share playlists. Apparently itā€™s not supported. Is that correct?

Am i the first person to make such a feature request? Is it difficult? no demand? Im a bit stumped

1 Like

I think itā€™s because Roon uses mixed sources, i.e. Tidal, Qobuz, local files. If you were to make a playlist, how would the file pointers in said list work for your friends?

If you make a playlist on Tidal or Qobuz, you can indeed share the playlist.

If you try to export a playlist consisting of only local files youā€™ll get an Excel file instead of an m3u8, and chances are not good that the files themselves will export. Nobody knows why this is.

There are even cases where you can theoretically export a playlist from two different places on screen at the same time. That will confuse you 50% of the time.

1 Like

Itā€™s not exactly rocket science, is it? This is the same (similar) question regarding why the Daily Mixes are strictly streaming, when the majority of the selection is in the listeners local library.
Roon needs to figure out how to identify tracks between different sources, and equalize their priorities.

Itā€™s not that hard, is it? What identifies a track?; The track title, the artist performing it, the recording date/situation and/or likely ā€œwhat album was this onā€?

This would allow sharing of playlists between Roonies with different streaming loyalties as well as us old geeks with pretty substantial libraries.

Edit: I moved this to Feature Requests, hope you donā€™t mind?

1 Like

Hi @Jonathan_Moore

If the tracks from the playlist are in your library, you can Export them and share them that way. We have more information on this here:

Fall 2021 release has brought us Roon specific playlists, which is an interesting start. I feel it is just a start as there are only a few Roon playlists, and they are pretty short (I generally use playlists that are at least 2 hours long so that I can just throw on the mood that suits me and get on with what I am doing).

But got me thinking, how great it would be if Roon subscribers could share their own playlists in the same way. If others are like me, the majority of my playlists are ONLY kept in Roon. Occasionally Iā€™ll port a playlist or two towards Qobuz, but 95% of my listening is via Roon. And I find it somewhat pointless. My interface is Roon, always is - Qobuz is just one piece of my library that feeds Roon.

Obviously this is functionality that is contained with every major streaming service, but how great would it be if we can make our playlists public to share with the Roon community (as I pay little or no attention to Qobuz or Tidal communities - in fact I do not know if they even exist).

Obvious problems exist - differing catalogues between Qobuz and Tidal, inclusion of tracks/albums that exist only in the subscribers library (rare, live, bootleg). Iā€™m sure there is a way around thisā€¦

I love this idea, would love to be able to find playlists created by other users.

If you search the forum this has been requested for years, by multiple people in various forms.

3 Likes

My badā€¦ā€¦.:flushed: