Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

I was perfectly happy with the Nucleus but hearing the Innuos I could understand the sonic benefits. So, what do you get over a Nucleus? On-board, built-in CD ripping, double linear power supply, a nicer case (vain!) and it also cuts down my box count as prior to this I had the Nucleus plus streamer/DAC, now the ZEN plugs straight into DAC onboard my amplifier. Oh yes and future-proofing to an extent should there ever be a reason to move away from Roon.

2 Likes

To add a dissenting viewpoint, the Innuos is in fact under-powered to run Core.

It won’t show up until one does some heavy DSP or plays to multiple zones simultaneously.

The best part of Innuos, AFAICS, is the OS.

2 Likes

so clean, i will trade you, deal, - simple but effective

I have all the boxes, but some of the amps are 15 years old, they are deep somewhere in my attic abyss

1 Like

Office system.

Upgraded the Raspberry Pi running RoPieee XL (+ HQPlayer/NAA) with a Pi2AES HAT. (Yes, I know the paper wrap is still on the case, but I’m not sure if I want to see a clear acrylic case. I’d love to make one out of walnut, or find an aluminum case for it. So if anyone has any leads on an aluminum one, holler!)

Sending the signal into a Topping D70 DAC via I2S/HDMI.

I must say I really think the HAT makes a big difference in the sound over just going from USB. But I could be imagining things. It does sound great, for a total of about $300 all in (Pi + HAT and everything.)

Audiolab 8000A integrated and PSB Imagine B speakers. Cambridge Audio Minx X200 Sub.

(A couple of Thorens turntables in the background and an Onkyo SACD player, but not really Roon-oriented, so nevermind.)

9 Likes

Snazzylabs, is that you?

My ML SL3’s put out adequate bass on their own, but still benefit considerably from a pair of quality subwoofers.

Well it could be
snazzy does have Pluto’s I think or maybe it’s the minis
I also have both and Orion’s and lx521’s hehehehe, but I think I have seen that Nic on other places too
so maybe just a coincidence

Nice and clean setup. Lovely!

1 Like

Nothing is more constant than change. And so something has changed again for me. :wink:

This is what it looked like about 2 years ago.
And so about a year ago.

The bare wall on the left side of my room has been given a picture. An art print on aluminum. The photographer is Steve Steigman, the picture is entitled “Blown Away”.

Roon-Rock still runs on the Cirrus 7 with a 6-core CPU and 8 GB of RAM. I really enjoyed my McIntosh MA9000, but it couldn’t withstand the overwhelming power of my new amplifiers. I decided on the AVM Ovation PA 8.3 preamplifier and a couple of AVM monoblocks.

Youtube-Link Preamp
Youtube-Link Review monoblocks

However, the amplifier ensemble would not have fit under my previous lowboard. I therefore had to have a new base made for the stone slab.

The plate weighs around 150 kg naked, which was a real challenge to install the new frame. But after I had lifted the plate side by side with a jack and secured it with supports, I was able to dismantle the previous frame and slide the new one under.

The Linn Klimax has a bridge made of stainless steel with a thickness of 10 mm. A press with 320 tons of pressing force is used to bend the radius.

Although the lowboard is open on all sides, you should see as little of the cables as possible. The power and network come from the ground, it is distributed via a cable duct with 8 integrated sockets on the rear. I can accommodate all cables in it. However, it is more work than you would think. It took 2 days until I was satisfied. Of course I made, shortened and sleeved various power cables.

It was a lot of work and it was a lot of money. But I’m really happy. :+1:

84 Likes

Very nice system indeed, but your room is even nicer!

It looks like a wonderful space.

2 Likes

The room is really very nice. I guess: Europe, maybe Germany? :thinking:

bee-you-tea-full
:star_struck:

1 Like

The candidate has 100 points :+1: beerchug

spectacular, room, system, couch, light

1 Like

Wow.

BTW - Don’t know if you realize this, but the print is an old Memorex ad circa 1972.
I think it used to have a caption of “Is it live or is it Memorex?”.

7 Likes

It is indeed a lovely room and fantastic equipment. With so much dedication going into the setup, doesn’t the room need a bit of love as well in the shape of carpets, bookshelves, curtains etc? It looks like an echo chamber where old sound will have a life of its own.

Google claims Maxell, I also thought Memorex :eyes:

Memorex was the shattering wine glass

2 Likes

I can’t comment on that. I saw the picture and it was obvious that nothing would fit better.

Fortunately, it is not. The reverberation is a little longer than that of a normal room, due to the beam construction and the sloping roof, the reverberation is kept within limits. And I have a carpet under the table, as well as 2 bookshelves on the other side of the room, But I can’t put curtains on the windows :wink:

The problem was more that the sloping ceilings swallow the bass. But with the subwoofer and the monoblocks, the problem is definitely no longer one. :notes: :crazy_face:

2 Likes