Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

I have the same Emotiva amp; I also have an XPA-5, and yes, they are huge. How do you like the amp with your setup?

1 Like

I have to say, I’m highly impressed.

I’ve only been able to listen to it seriously for a couple of hours, one of those hours of which I was dozing off as I only had about an hour of sleep the previous night. But so far, I’m really liking what I’m hearing. This amp is definitely punching WAY above it’s price point. Even if this amp cost $2k new, it would still be punching above its price point. At it’s original $800 or $900 price point, it’s just ridiculous, and what I paid for it, it’s like “Ludicrous Speed” in the great classic movie Spaceballs. LOL

After reading many pro and owner reviews and comparisons of this particular amp to other models and brands, the fact that one of my brother used to have two of this very model running bridged several years back and currently has the new XPA-DR2, and the fact that this one was selling for such a low price, in mint condition with all of the original packing, power cord and manual, one owner, and 65 miles away from me, it was a no-brainer of a purchase.

The XPA-2 Gen 2 easily exceeds its power and current ratings, which means it has more than enough clean power for my Martin Logan SL3’s. And considering the volumes that I actually listen at, this amp will never even break a sweat.

1 Like

3 posts were split to a new topic: Film / File Negative Scanning

Well my Nucleus+ isn’t much to look at so I’ve included some close ups of my other gear.

18 Likes

The amplifier is a 2x100W MOSFET Power Amp with separate pre amp made from a kit in the 80s
The speakers are two way semi transmission line. Again made from a kit supplied by Ascension in Adelaide using SB accoustics driver.

The source is a Raspberry Pi Zero with a phat dac hat. The roon core is running on a remote linux server.

I am streaming over wifi which gives me no issues, most of the time.

Great sound for a moderate outlay.

7 Likes

I have previously showed my setup, but only on device level.

Trinnov Altitude32 (32 channels)
Trinnov Amplitude8
Trinnov Amplitude8M
Bryston 4BSST2
Roon Nucleus+
B&W 802 D3 (main speakers)
B&W HTM2 D2 (center, soon to be replaced by HTM1 D3)
B&W DB1 (subs)
B&W 803 D2 (surround)
B&W 805 D2 (wide)
B&W SCMS (surround rear)
Piega AP1.2 (9 in ceiling)

Resulting in a magical Roon Ready 9.2.9 setup :+1: (just waiting for Roon to support Atmos).

24 Likes

Lovely setup!
Looking at your previous posts, they appear to show your old/other systems: Classé, Moon, Schiit.
Can we see your Trinnov, Bryston setup, please?

1 Like

Love the pig :-)!

3 Likes

Bryston is placed behind the center speaker (you see it on the picture)

6 Likes

Pig is from Spain :slight_smile:

It even makes sound when squeezing it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Lovely setup but it worries me your Nucleus on top of the Sub and what’s that horrid white thing (Router?) on the right…hide that and you done :wink:

1 Like

There are zero movement from the sub. And router is placed there for access (I don’t want to remove the entire system to be able to access the router). I have a few alternatives in mind, but currently not priority.

The front end - the ‘brains’ are in a closet directly below the gear on the left. 25’ of Chord Rumor up and around the French doors (the other side taped up under the cabinet). Shared family space obviously. Speakers Audio Physic Compact Classics (v1). Absolute steal at half price (demos) - first speaker I’ve owned that the box completely disappears.

10 Likes

I thought maybe those were your toys.

I wish - my toys cost considerably more money.

2 Likes

“The best things in life are free. The second-best things are very, very expensive.” – Coco Chanel

5 Likes

There seems to be a lot of trauma surrounding onion gum.

1 Like

I think i posted this in a Raspberry Pi thread, but not here.

Made a walnut case for the Pi/Pi2AES unit. Fitted clear acrylic tubes in the wood that touch the LEDs so they’d be visible.

Running Roon using RoPieeeXL with HQPlayer/NAA.

(Sounds great to the Topping D70 DAC via I2S.)

15 Likes

How did you make that box? Here’s my RPi4 hiding…

1 Like

i’m a woodworker by diversion. (I make plinths for my thorens turntables and other furniture for my house. Speaker stands, yada yada.)

I’m a total amateur but I love doing it.

Anyway, I just made a box out of walnut to house the electronic bits. Found where the LEDs would meet up and drilled some holes. I fitted the acrylic rods so the lights project through to the outside of the box.

3 Likes