Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2021 .. 2022]

Hi there y’all, in my search of learning to hear differences in speakers i have switched again. Now enjoying the sound of the Buchardt S400 MKII (signature edition) in ‘Zebra’ wood finish. Absolutely love the looks of these :star_struck:
The’ve been up and running for 2 weeks now and these babies are even better to my ear than the Dynaudio Special Forty’s. I do also still have the KEF LS50 META’s.

So what can i say; the mids to me are more clear and stand out better compared to LS50 Meta ánd Dynaudio Special Forty’s. Highs are crisp and low is good, in my setup always supported with my sub (KEF KC62). Overall very good balance. Dynaudio Special Forty’s are to my ears a bit more relaxed (which i also like).

Seriously thinking about keeping the Buchardt S400 MKII’s (45 day home audition).

Current chain: ROON/ROCK on NUCi5 -» Bluesound Node (2021 model) -» Chord Qutest -» Musical Fidelity M5Si -» Buchardt S400 MKII + Kef KC62 sub. (ifi Zen DacV2 is for headphone listening).

25 Likes

Very cool.
I haven’t seen Gallos for quite some time.

Hello,

meanwhile the McIntosh MT5 has given way to a new TransRotor Strato Bianco. The Grado Timbre Reference 3
I took over pickups in the TransRotor. I already liked the McIntosh MT5, the TransRotor is even better. And I have a fixed hood with a hinge that I don’t always have to put somewhere :-).

McIntosh C2700 (phono branch S4A Premium / digital branch PSVane S-Art tubes), McIntosh MC312,
TransRotor Strato Bianco (System Grado Reference 3)
Meitner MA3
Wilson Audio Sabrina

BR
Thorsten
IMG_1914
IMG_1915

40 Likes

Small update:

Origin live motor upgrade kit fitted to the Michell Syncro.

New Phono stage, Whest two.2 with coherent 4D cable.

31 Likes

Beautiful room . Beautiful landscape

1 Like

Beautiful turntable!

2 Likes

Today’s rig for yardwork :grin:

12 Likes

gorgeous. is the glass (?) plinth stock, or an isolation platform?

39 Likes

What industrial design Gary.
It’s fascinating just to stare at it

1 Like

Probably an enormous outlay, but we’re missing the speakers, or do you have a brain implant with connector :electric_plug: from your best friend, Elon ?
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The budget speakers are now less restricted by budget, tweeters and crossovers upgraded to Seas Beryllium domes and crossover now Mundorf based. I’m not jesting here, but they are really a completely different set of speakers.
To these ears they are very competitive, no matter the adversarys.

9 Likes

Definitely need more pics :+1:

2 Likes

With that setup I would try i2s from pi2aes to the Pontus.

Gary, thank you for sharing your wonderful system with us. The only part I share in common with your system is the “CleverClamp” and it does it’s job well. Happy listening.

1 Like

Just the stock base. There’s normally a lid on it, but I remove it for listening

1 Like

Yep, I’ve done that, with a decent (but not crazy) HDMI/I2S cable. Didn’t like it. Sounded harsh. Tried all the possible configs on the pontus, and it just wasn’t right. Maybe another cable would make the difference, ahdunno.

AES/EBU connection sounds wonderful tho, so I’ve never sweated it.

If I wanted to chase dragons, I’d probably hunt down a really high-end i2s cable just to test. But I don’t have the patience!

1 Like

I just received my new TV, yesterday. It’s a Panasonic OLED 65LZ1500 and the picture quality is great! My setup is now completed.

I might add a DSD DAC in the future but for now I’m really enjoying the music and on top of that, I find the association of white in the furniture with white speakers very beautiful to look at.

Mac mini M1 2Tb
Apple TV 4K (2021)
Rotel A14MKII
KEF R5

I just need to do a little bit of cable management.

24 Likes

White speakers look great indeed!
Seems you have your speakers toed-in a bit too much? If you took the photo from your sweetspot, i have never before seen the right side of the right speaker and the left side of the left speaker in any set-up.
Or maybe this is the result of your experimenting?

Thanks!

My speakers are not positioned properly, indeed. Thanks for notifying.

Could you clarify “toed-in”? I am not a native English speaker. Maybe I should move them a bit of the front because they are “behind” the furniture? That’s what it means?