Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2021 .. 2022]

I’ll step in here…
It’s about the angle of speaker orientation.
Some benefit from pointing directly at the listening position, others not.
Has to do with the speakers’ radiation pattern and room acoustics.

But looking at Stereophile’s measurements, I’d think that their even behavior could be better exploited when positioned more straight for a larger “stage” impression and room “illumination”.

What might really be problematic is the distance to the wall behind them, because they’re rear ported - so experiment here for much improved low frequencies, if at all possible.

Good luck…

2 Likes

A picture is worth a thousand words.

7 Likes

To learn about that, do a Google search: ‘speaker placement toe in out’. And/or see the user manual that probably came with the speakers (page 10). You can download it at the KEF website.
Happy experimenting!

… seven, actually …

It’s about the angle of speaker orientation.

Your approach is less environmentally sustainable, even …
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

It is on the back of paper already printed on that I use as it would be scrap already. :+1:

1 Like

Thanks!

Maybe my apartment is too small?

I’ll work on the speaker position

7 Likes

Maybe angle it in a little less…

But I think you can also improve the room acoustics by adding more cushions, maybe a small rug under the table and also pictures or (discreet) sound absorbers on the walls. I would think that the room sounds very bright and you might have a lot of reverberation / feedback.

Enjoy the music!

7 Likes

Your apartment looks beautiful, we work with what we have and we all dream to build a room from the ground up just for listening.

I like no rug on floor, it is easier to clean, but I might have one just for the sound, I like open windows, more light and not a closed space but I have curtains just for the sound (my window is between speakers), I like empty white walls, makes a bigger space, but…

I think I have just the same speaker size (bit of a shorter room) and as long I do not play loud and I’m near field (close to the speakers, 2 meters or so) I’m ok… I guess we can try carpet, pictures, books, absorbers, etc and we can test to see if the compromise it is ok

1 Like

I totally agree. You must love the room, not only the sound it could possibly create.

In my living room I do have to live with similar compromises.

1 Like

Different speakers work with different toe in so just try and gradually open up the toe in and play music and see which position gives the best imaging for you in your room.

2 Likes

Looks fabulous. I have the same 55" model.

One question, how do you keep Roon display on all the time. My Panasonic will go into screen save mode after about 30 minutes. I’ve checked the TV settings, but can’t work it out.

All the best and enjoy!

Have you disabled Eco settings in “configuration”?

1 Like

Giving that a go now!

always tickles me how many setups still spinning the black stuff…Vinyl will live forever it seems…I have stopped at 9 TT’s (not all are operational) - I don’t have the heart to throw the older fixer uppers away yet. Photos of my roon stuff to be updated soon. Thats a scary number of endpoints too

1 Like

All done and now working beautifully, merci beaucoup👍

1 Like

Sold my Devialet and since I am waiting for my new amp since June the dealer lent me a Linn Selekt DSM.

15 Likes

Try aiming the speakers as if your head was .5M to.75M further back then it really is when you sit on the couch.

Also, I suggest you look at some IsoAcoustics Gaia for your speakers. I had a similar room setup. The new feet made a huge difference, especially with bass.

Have fun!

Just out of interest, where did you get the TV from? I thought that Panasonic stopped making TVs quite a while ago. At least, they’re not available here in Australia. Perhaps we’re too small a market to make (relatively) small runs of our version of PAL profitable.

@Jack_Clark I’m in the process of researching for a new TV and can confirm that Panasonic sets are freely available in the UK so I guess there is, as you mention, some local issue with supply or specification.

The other issue is you have a wall right begin your head, and another is a massive reflective hard surface (the TV) between the speakers - you could drape a fluffy rug over that when listening perhaps if the TV is off - the red one on the sofa maybe. The wall behind the sofa harder to deal with without moving the sofa forwards