Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2021 .. 2022]

Those certainly are gorgeous speakers! Can I ask - why would you bother with the smaller speakers? I assume it’s for the but then again why not run to output through a dac into your main setup?

I just ask as this speakers looks fantastic I would want to run everything though them😃

It’s for the simple reason that I don’t want to use my tubes for series and movies, hence the dedicated KEF speakers and an audio/video receiver. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Tube amp was a custom built by amp maker, Eric Mcchason in Sydney :slight_smile: wish had the skill to make one though…
Next to Sonnet is SPL Phonitor X and is headphone amp.
Bottom shelf from left to right, DIY Raspberry Pi streamer and below tha is Topping DX7 Pro, DAC Headphone amp. Vincent Pho-8 Phono Preamp.

2 Likes

Decided to share after enjoying this thread for so long.

Speakers are Dali rubicon 6.
Power amp is Classe CA3200.
I then have a locally built pre amp ( Valve Audio Black Widow) which has a custom installed HT bypass (so when it is off one of the inputs becomes passive fixed out put).
Dac is audiogd R8mk2
Streamer is a raspberry pi (with ropieeXL of course😀) with a dual output LPS that feeds pi and the media converter (soon to have a pi2aes added)

21 Likes

Streamer set up

7 Likes

I think I found a fellow fan of Ubiquiti! Dream Machine, I see!

16 Likes

Do You also use the Sonos (Amp), seen in the corner, as an input ?
Any difference is SQ ?

Thanks,
LD

Keep it simple.
Roon Server on Mac Mini M1 via Gustard U16 to Genelec 8351A.

40 Likes

The Sonos connect is used for my outside area, I love Sonos for background or social music I have a few around the house.

I have gone down a bit of a rabbit hole for streamers with the liners power supply and Fiber converter but I think it has made a meaningful difference.

So the short answer is I suspect the Sonos will defiantly degrade sq in a critical session but for social and background the convenience is fantastic

Love how simple this looks

1 Like

Dali makes great music! Enjoy.

1 Like

My wife and I went to buy new speakers this time last year and the Accord Essence were one of three or four speakers my dealer suggested. I thought they were stunningly good looking, and the dealer said I would like the performance a lot. My wife did not like the grilles, don’t know why, and chose Wilson Sabrina.

The great Oscar Wilde once said: “Women are meant to be loved, not to be understood.”

Just kidding though! :crazy_face: Sabrina’s are very lovely speakers aswell. As long as you are enjoying the hobby.

3 Likes

Oscar Wilde said a lot of things, but he ended up in Reading Gaol and soon after he was dead.

I got a major benefit from moving to a much smaller listening space and listening almost nearfield. The speakers are only about 2.5m apart and I stick to the Wilson recommended 1.25 times away, just over 3m. The walls were acoustically treated with a triple layer board before a wavy grey silk paper was applied. I switch between using Roon to Innuos 2.0.

There is a second system in the ceiling in the music room. It is also in other rooms, including for the TV in an array of 6 speakers forming a cinema system. (They are also lights. The black holes are lights that are due in the next few weeks.) I can send the sound from the TV via bluetooth direct, which is useless and out of sync, so I bought an Apple TV and send sound to the speaker/lights via Airplay. The speaker/lights have Amazon Music built in (also Tidal and Spotify), but I often use them with Roon via Airplay. I can also play Innuos 2.0 through the ceiling via uPnP. The Amazon and Innuos streams operate at up to 24/192 (the limit of the DACs in the speaker/lights) and the wireless streaming is faultless thanks to Ubiquiti access points, there is one on the ceiling in the photo below.

I was going to do a wall mounted cinema system with Devialet Reactors, which also have Roon inside, but even through my wife uses Reactor with Roon she did not want them on the wall.

17 Likes

That looks like a very nice listening room. It’s true that the smaller the room (to a certain degree) the “easier” it is to fine tune it sonically.

Also your ceiling speakers are a very nice way to introduce multi room audio. Looks very slick aswell!

I’m more concerned about midrange and top-end detail without the speakers being bright or fatiguing. The Wilson do that and I have a pair of Raidho that are also excellent in that that regard, but no bass below about 80-100hz. They need a sub. I think the Accord Essence would have worked in this small room as well because they have a very similar driver configuration to Wilson Sabrina. Both are very easy to drive.

I tried a pair of Focal Diablo Utopia Colour EVO and found them etched and quite unpleasant after a while.

The ceiling speaker/lighting system is programmed as groups. Airplay allows me to play music from my Roon library, but normally I use Alexa and it plays from Amazon HD.

what are these light speakers?

A new product launched in the UK in May. I’m sure I mentioned it before. The sound side was designed by Lawrence Dickie (former design head of B&W and founder/designer of Vivid speakers). We were doing a substantial rebuild and I was more concerned about lighting at the time as we had to decide on a wiring plan. The lighting is as clever as the sound. www.zuma.ai

1 Like

ah yes, i remember now.