Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2021 .. 2022]

Yea, for $2.99. I’ll continue to Airplay it when needed which is not often. Perhaps there will be an official Roon version someday.

Not to sound petty, but Christopher Rieke puts out on his own a Roon Server for Synology Diskstations and provides updates all for free which is probably a much heavier lift that this Roon Remote. Can’t thank Christopher enough for his efforts. He’s a world-class guy and a great role model.

2 Likes

Much appreciated note. I didn’t know this was available. I installed…works great. Thanks.

1 Like

Latest upgrade:

Our upstairs TV room (being empty nesters, my wife and I have plenty of extra rooms available) had an inexpensive Sony soundbar which worked fine with the old TV but we got a new larger 4K TV a better soundbar was needed.

I was thinking of going with the Sonos Arc and Sonos subwoofer but these are on back order and will not be available until sometime next month. So I went with the LG SN10YG, which comes with a wireless subwoofer and costs substantially less than the Sonos Arc/subwoofer combo. The LG has similar features as the Sonos but of course without Sonos streaming support.

The LG does have Chromecast streaming built in and Roon does see it as a Chromecast device and will stream to it, however streaming is limited to 48kHz/24bit.
I also have Squeezbox Touch connected to the optical input of the LG and using the Touch I can stream up to 96kHz/24bit.

Subwoofer and Touch

The big picture:

Overall a very upgrade from the Sony soundbar and the LG sure does sound nice for both music and video.

9 Likes

I assume that’s a screen and not a TV? The reason I’m asking is that I have a Stewart 92" screen with an Optoma projector. My sony blu ray fits the entire screen, both for discs and the three streaming services that come built in (and to which you cannot add services). so I also have the Apple TV but for the life of me I can’t get a full screen, just an image with black borders to the top and left (and neither can Apple support figure it out). Still a good size but kind of annoying.

Is there a setting I’m missing?

Or is it that you can just get Roon to display full screen?

Cheers

2 Likes

Wow, fantastic space. :scream: Top shelf. If you feel up to it, any addtl details of the room build, addtl pics, acoustic details would be extremely appreciated. Crazy amount of work went into this space :+1:

Compared to some people here I have a very humble setup but since I just upgraded my speakers I took a couple of pictures. I replaced a pair of Wharfedale EVO 4.3 with these fantastic sounding Sonus Faber Sonetto III. They sound great and as a bonus they look great too. I tested them against a pair of Kef R5 at my local dealer, the Kef where no match: they sounded dull and blurry compared to the Sonus, maybe it’s due to the amp pairing. Even the dealer was kind of surprised how good the Sonus sounded with the Cambridge.

Full setup:

Roon Core on Intel NUC in silent Akasa casing
Cambridge Audio CXN V2
connected via balanced XLR cables into
Cambridge Audio CXA81
QED XT25 bi-wire speaker cables
Sonus Faber Sonetto III

68 Likes

Looks really nice Anthony, congratulations. I tend to stack from the heavy stuff up, but even the Cambridge pictures have the amp on top… so my thinking must be wrong, whatever works!

Thanks Mike. The amp on top is for better heat dissipation. I believe this is why you’ll see the amp on top in the official Cambridge pictures as well. But I guess it isn’t strictly necessary as this amp is quite efficient and doesn’t heat up that much.

1 Like

Anthony that’s a very nice setup.
Do the Sonus Faber play nicely that close to the wall, or is that just the non listening position.
They are among the best looking speakers on the market IMHO

Thanks Michael. I think the photos give the impression the speakers are a little closer to the wall than what they really are, but yes actually, you can place these speakers closer to a wall than most other speakers as the bass reflex port is not on the back but at the bottom of the speakers.

The Sonus also have a very controlled and tight bass, one of the reasons I like them so much. I really notice the difference with my previous Wharfedales where I had to severely eq around 40hz (typical room mode for small/medium rooms). I still have a small dip in my eq settings at 40hz but way less than the Wharfedales.

1 Like

Good to know that thanks Anthony, as I cannot imagine my wife complaining (as loud as normal) if I replaced by Dali’s with something like that in a couple of years.

Current speakers really want to be pulled out 3 foot and then pushed back when not in use.
Though that is probably less needed as much now that we have a sub woofer in the room, but it puts them in a better listening position for me, so I never say anything :wink:

What a view!!

Thank you! I certainly enjoy it.

what a nice view I am sure the music is more enjoyable

I had previously posted pictures of my audio system ( MBL Xtreme speakers , 9008A amps and dCS Vivaldi digital system ) and here is my video room :

Lots of QNAP servers with out 300+Tb of storage for my music and movie collection ; two pair of Krell LAT1s for front and back ; a LAT1 center channel and LAT2 hight channels , dCS Bartok , Mac 8207 ; 7 channel amp and MX160 Pre/Pro , Sony 995ES Laser projector , Revel B15 subs and an OPPO UDP-205 HD Blu-ray player .I’m pretty satisfied with this set-up .

Ps. If anyone is interested , on the wall are the five originals of George Rodrigue’s Blue Dog Katrina series . I live in New Orleans and stayed at home for both Katrina and Ida . Ida was bigger but Katrina was a much scarier hurricane .

31 Likes

I brought out my custom white quartz slabs that I had made several years back, and put them under the NuPrime amps. And of course, some of the kitties laying around enjoying the system with me.

22 Likes

A rather more modest system: Sabrina, Devialet Expert Pro 250, Innuos Zen Mk3, a turntable system and Shunyata conditioning and power cables. The walls and ceiling are acoustically treated and a dedicated mains feed.

There is also a 6-speaker spatial sound/light system in the ceiling called Zuma Lumisonic through which I play Roon via Airplay.

21 Likes

Nice setup. Currently looking for the SabrinaX for my Devialet 220 expert pro.

It’s a lovely speaker for a smaller room. My wife liked them, especially the Dark Titanium colour, so we bought the demo pair, which had never left the showroom.

1 Like

Nuts About HiFi, Silverdale, WA, completed the installation in my home of a Samsung QN82Q900RB 82 inch TV with wall mount, two Focal Sopra 3 floor-standing speakers, Focal Aria CC900 center speaker, two Focal Surround BE speakers, a JL Audio F113v2 subwoofer, Anthem AVM 70 audio-visual processor, Aesthetix Atlas stereo amp, Anthem MCA 325 3 channel amp for the surround and center speakers, a Sony UBP-X-1100ES 4K BluRay with SACD capability, a Meridian 218 zone controller, a TS-451+ NAS drive, a Clearaudio Concept turntable with moving magnet, Salamander cabinet, $4,500 worth of cables (6% of system cost), a power module, and MX990 universal remote with MRF350 RF module to control it. Whew!

16 Likes